What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
ForgeCorvus

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by ForgeCorvus »

My 'Blackout' kit lives in a lidded box next to the loft trap. Under the trap is where the fusebox is, that has a shaker torch hanging by it (so no climbing ladders in the dark) and I can walk to that point from anywhere in the house with my eyes shut (and I tend to have a torch in my pocket anyway).

I don't mind S*****s but Herself can spot them from 60 yards away
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

We've had a visit from the China flu this week at home... The 11 yo plague carrier collected it from school .... Mrs A has it I've so far dodged it..

The 3m air purifier had been running constantly but no one has a cough .... The boss lady has been a bit rough head ache chills / just feeling rough..... Little one has been a bit warm but that's been it... Touch wood....

Did I a big top up shop myself on Monday night after I got the plague warning from the wife we've not gone short of anything despite ignoring her shopping list :lol:

So far I've tested negative let the chicken feed run dangerously low but sorted that on Friday by visiting the farm suppliers ... To be fair if I had run out I deal with 2 other farm suppliers via work who I know would have happily dropped me a sack off to my home ..

I've been out foraging today didn't intend to stock up much prep wise but mistakenly wandered into B&m :lol:

12x energiser batteries £2.50 poof went a tenner without trying not that I'm really short of batteries :lol: :oops: but well batteries :mrgreen:

plus grabbed some packs of the hot hands hand Warmers at 69p per twin pack .. on the plus side some I already had stashed which have gone hard still seem to work I've just opened one and it's now toasty warm .
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Andy, hope it all stays mild, and you don't get it. Take care.

For my own preps, I'm doing lots of little things - tidying away to make sure I can have workmen indoors safely; finding out that my stock rotation of cleaning equipment hasn't been as good as I thought it was :? there's currently no big job I can do until all of that is done, and there's quite a few jobs that need doing.

But the little things: cleaned the kitchen windowsill, plus the lower half of the kitchen window which was drowning under misdirected splooshes of hand sanitiser. After I got home from petsitting, I needed to put back into my suitcase the emptied-and-cleaned plastic peanut butter jars - they're useful for taking home made lunches with me, packing facemasks, even filling with short-use dried veg. And I soaped lots of used flowerpots from the garden yesterday, rinsed them today. Ridiculously minor jobs that take a fair old time but nevertheless help my preparedness levels, especially if something happens suddenly.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'm so tired that I seem to be just wandering round in circles trying to think if I've missed anything or forgotten anything. :evil:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:10 pm I'm so tired that I seem to be just wandering round in circles trying to think if I've missed anything or forgotten anything. :evil:
You probably have and you'll discover what it is at the worst possible time imaginable :lol:

To be fair after the past couple of years many of us are a bit frazzled and burnt out I've probably drunk more beer in the past year than I ever have (week on week) Not to excess or binging but a case of 20 bottles no longer last a full week need to cut back and get back to some form of better fitness level but the dark nights don't help no doubt the 2 year delayed medical next Thursday will give them something to grumble about when I jump on their scales :oops:

he says that sat in the arm chair nursing a cup of Yorkshire tea gouging on some left over from Christmas foxes biscuits :lol:

Some times I do think we need to take a step back from the snowballing chaos obviously a week on a hot sunny beach would do the trick but thats at least a couple of years away without the COVID chaos at best ... Managed 3 hours on the allotment on Saturday which was good even if it was shouting obscenities In My head and occasionally out loud at the rotorvator which decided to not want to start :evil:

We can just sit semi smug in the knowledge we are in a much better position than many people be it the stockpile of pasta and rice , or the make do and mend mentality to extra box of batteries and candles stashed in the cupboard..

Because be it SNOW (well it is winter) to a power cut to the Russian cutting off the internet in its submarine we will not only be in a better position to survive we have all soaked up some knowledge over and beyond those who sit glued to strictly come love island EastEnders celebrity every evening thinking it's all real life I can happily function without the TV or internet :lol: me and the little man took a visit to a museum on Saturday short ride out they had a little old toy exhibition on ... Well little man loved it only problem is he's developed a love of guns and knives as there was a set cowboy and Indian outfits and all the kit we await the head teachers phone call tomorrow from school when he ties up the girls and runs riot with a sticklebrick gun mummy's disarmed him 3 times today

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:10 pm I'm so tired that I seem to be just wandering round in circles trying to think if I've missed anything or forgotten anything. :evil:
Aw, Lil, sorry to hear you're that fatigued. I've certainly had months like that, both throughout the pandemic and before, so I do know something of what you mean, though not the full weight of what you go through because you've got OH to look after. I'm wondering if you can even get outside very easily at the moment :( certainly at my worst, I was just walking up and down my street - only 20 houses in it, not long at all! And it took everything I had to stack the dishwasher (its why I bought it). Now, I'm well enough to have an additional hour or so when I can do little jobs like the ones I mentioned in my post earlier today. I hope you can get back to that too - I'm assuming chronic fatigue, actually, not covid? Do you have covid as well? I'll watch for any response you make ...
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Noo covid yet,thank god. We did get out today, to visit hubby's cousin. But because we haven't been out of the door for more than an hour or so to the post office etc, we came home at teatime like zombies. So it is a lesson really, in keeping active and getting out as Andy says above.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:29 pm Noo covid yet,thank god. We did get out today, to visit hubby's cousin. But because we haven't been out of the door for more than an hour or so to the post office etc, we came home at teatime like zombies. So it is a lesson really, in keeping active and getting out as Andy says above.
There's getting out and getting out I venture to our local pub which has its die hard regular clients who are mainly older who are sensible and never packed... I've avoided the bigger pubs and places like that ever since the eat out to help out mess.....

Started doing a bit of walking round and about we've got public right of ways across farm land starting less than 1/4 a mile from the front door the 10y/o views it as a forced march where as little man can't get enough he's happy walking / running to see the trains go over the little bridge or looking for boats / ducks on the river :lol:

My next hope is the travel movement issue gets solved then the campsites will be forced to reverting to the pre lockdown price list to try and re build / retain what regular returning customers expect in terms of pricing as along with hotels many have taken the public for a ride been held hostage over the whole staycation holidays someone I know was quoted £2000 for a week in a static caravan in Norfolk last time they went they got change from £500 :lol:

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Lil that's good to hear. I know what you mean about not being used to out and about. A friend emailed me yesterday asking for a video chat, and I almost panicked :shock: :mrgreen: it's so long since I've done that. Physically, I'm back up to an hour's tramping along footpaths etc, and tomorrow, my sister's driving me to a local NT place, where the walk is about 90 minutes. Long days with relatives, though, absolutely exhaust me, it's horrible, sadly. But the walks are really important, to try to regain that fitness.

Andy I haven't eaten out in *so* long - even during my 2 weeks AirBNBing last summer, we ate at home. I'm going to have to relax that next month - probably travelling by train to a funeral in Lancashire (I'm near the Channel) sister and I will both be wearing N95s, except while eating etc.

Lovely to hear of your little one - it's the little things, isn't it, watching the trains, and the ducks on the river :) bliss.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:15 pm
Lovely to hear of your little one - it's the little things, isn't it, watching the trains, and the ducks on the river :) bliss.
It's all good fun until he bends down and successfully and securely takes hold and picks up a blooming mallard duck that had come for his bread :lol: he is fearless of the chickens so to him he can pick the ducks up and give them a stroke like he does with "his" chickens he kept the wings pinned down to the look of horror of a elderly couple watching us feed the ducks :lol:

if we run into food issues I'll take him with the crusts of a loaf and top the freezer up :lol:

Screenshot_20220123-223432.png
And yes the chickens get kisses :lol: