What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Zedsdead

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Zedsdead »

Never really had an edc but I’ve put together a few items in my bag that I think will be handy. Otherwise just charging batteries after a week at work and doing an online shop to keep stocked up.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Currently sat with the cat enjoying the heat been belted out by the bio ethanol burner in the living room I need to stock up on ethanol as last year it went mad in price due to the panic buying of hand rub but it works it's only been lit 10 minutes and it's gone from chilly to nice and cosy ..

Cars front tyres got replaced Thursday
Screenshot_20211203-221942.png
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-g ... -test-2021

https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/t ... trol-a005/

Not the best in snow but winter duty approved.. but I live at low level but a good all round all session tyre never hurts so far had them in very wet mud, dry, cold , on sheet ice and a bit of snow couldn't complain at all since that bad winter 11 years ago we've not had much snow...

Got some more chicken feed poor chap profusely apologised for the 50p increase as their suppliers have put them up.. the site was rather busy had to laugh I parked leaving the access to their site tight but enough room for a hgv to pass .. a woman in a large 4x4 blocked the access road to the feed firm by parking alongside me then tried blaming me for parking where I had :tinfoil .. So I shifted having paid quick turn and away I went she still hadn't got out the way of the large freed trucks as i exited the industrial estate :lol:

Tomorrows job is to bath the car it's filthy

Fetched my camping fridge home from work ready for Christmas excess food / alcohol storage :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

It’s not just the chicken feed Andy, I did a big shop last week and brimmed my van at the same time and everything was just so expensive
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Zedsdead wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:59 am It’s not just the chicken feed Andy, I did a big shop last week and brimmed my van at the same time and everything was just so expensive
Tell me about it although bargain booze have knocked £1.50 off ten cans of Stella :mrgreen: and farm foods were selling those little Crawfords cheese nibbles biscuits for a quid last night it was 3 for £1 :tinfoil that kept me happy watching a film last night ...

It's costing me about £8 a week more to fill my blooming car doing the same commute as during the summer increase / e10/ colder weather grrrr
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:15 am
Zedsdead wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:59 am It’s not just the chicken feed Andy, I did a big shop last week and brimmed my van at the same time and everything was just so expensive
Tell me about it although bargain booze have knocked £1.50 off ten cans of Stella :mrgreen: and farm foods were selling those little Crawfords cheese nibbles biscuits for a quid last night it was 3 for £1 :tinfoil that kept me happy watching a film last night ...

It's costing me about £8 a week more to fill my blooming car doing the same commute as during the summer increase / e10/ colder weather grrrr
£120 to fill my van and that lasts a week, I used the other car last week, a little Citroen which is £60 to fill and that lasts two weeks, I’ve decided to just use the car now except when I need to move some big tools about!!

And yes farm foods is better for the budget indeed
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:15 am

Yes,my commute is about another £8 a week too. That’s £8 less to spend on something else in the economy. My poultry feed is up a quid here,although I do feed a small amount of veg ‘mash ‘ every other day or so ( too much can make them fat,and affect laying). That supplement feed slows down the rate of pellet consumption! I also give them chickweed and chard from my garden.

We earn decent money,but even we are watching what we spend now ( although we are supplementing our youngest who has hit hard times ,as well). I have a feeling that what we ( society) are experiencing now,may well be just the start. I suspect that our erstwhile members will start discussing budget tips before long! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

I agree, I think things are going to get tight for the nation soon
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I did a larder tidy up yesterday and moved some stuff into another storage space. I found I had a few unopened packets of lentils and other pulses that were out of date so they are now first in line to get used up. I'll have a scour of Pinterest for some good recipes, because there is only so much dhal I can take.

I picked up a car phone charger thing from Lidl on Saturday - it plugs into the cigarette lighter bit and has two USBs. I already have a 'cup' charger which has two USBs, but also 2 cigarette lighter bits and I figured the little charger could plug into one of them. I'm more likely to use USB for stuff.

I ordered a couple of those pill box keyring things - one big, one little. When I go into work I have a tendency to forget to take my medication before I leave as I'm always in such a rush and I leave at the crack of dawn. I can stick a couple of days worth of meds in one of the keyrings so I can take it once I've got to work and gone 'd'oh!!' at myself :lol:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Le Mouse wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:40 am I did a larder tidy up yesterday and moved some stuff into another storage space. I found I had a few unopened packets of lentils and other pulses that were out of date so they are now first in line to get used up. I'll have a scour of Pinterest for some good recipes, because there is only so much dhal I can take.
Pulses: We stash them by the hundredweight and eat them by the ounce. :)

If you do come up with any sneaky recipes to get family to scoff them, please share. This is where it's essential that we try to integrate what we stash into regular meal plans. It doesn't come naturally.

Best I can suggest is some sorts of bean burgers: Use pulses as pretend ground meat in bolognese chilli or lasagne. Or maybe try sprouting some of those pulses for stir frying.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
hobo

Post by hobo »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:57 pm If you do come up with any sneaky recipes to get family to scoff them, please share. This is where it's essential that we try to integrate what we stash into regular meal plans. It doesn't come naturally.
We like this one https://www.planetveggie.co.uk/spaghett ... ato-sauce/