What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Jerseyspud

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Jerseyspud »

Sat at my sisters today who is also a semi prepper hashing out our back up plan if shtf and I can't stay home with the kids
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

jansman wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:37 am
From a prepping point of view,it is good to have all those day to day emergencies covered: A good mechanic,vet,dentist,plumber,electrician etc. It’s all about a good working relationship.
We have a good working relationship with our local garage. We and our children, even those who dont live locally use him for car issues, MOT's etc. Husband has a good knowledge of vehicle engines but uses him especially as we need service stamps for the truck. In return, garage fits us in for emergencies and gives us very good customer service and a good price. Our chimney sweep is the only one who we trust who knows the awkward chimneys of these houses and our metal fabricator who knows that I am very picky can be trusted to deliver something reliable and suitable to my taste and purpose. We have far too many plumbers/gas fitters in the family and could do with a builder and sparky but having relatives in trades normally means that they have reliable contacts.
Growing old disgracefully!
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Not a prep as such or not directly at least. We have a woodburner and thus of course have log boxes to store wood . We have two log stores next to the hedge on the front garden. My wife was talking to the local window cleaner and he was saying that next door's son ( who doesn't actually live there) reported us to the council for having a potential fire hazard with these two log stores. Nothing has come of it , we certainly haven't had a visit or letter from the council but it has made me think about people 's attitudes.
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:17 am Not a prep as such or not directly at least. We have a woodburner and thus of course have log boxes to store wood . We have two log stores next to the hedge on the front garden. My wife was talking to the local window cleaner and he was saying that next door's son ( who doesn't actually live there) reported us to the council for having a potential fire hazard with these two log stores. Nothing has come of it , we certainly haven't had a visit or letter from the council but it has made me think about people 's attitudes.
I had a neighbour who was genuinely concerned we used FIRE to heat our house - yes really.They also made a suggestion that they might raise the issue with building regulations at the council. The fact that our 120 year old house has always had an open fire,then for the last 20 years a stove ,in that hearth,was lost on him. I asked when he last had his boiler serviced. He said he couldn’t remember,but what did that have to do with it ? I said he could blow the whole terrace up because he wasn’t responsible enough to get an annual service on a potential bomb. In the end I just told him to get ******! He got the message clean and green.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Think the "go and get ******" response he would get from me too. I did think of starting a rumour that i was going to replace the wood pile with a heating oil tank , or propane tank or even a sodding great compost bin full of cow shit.
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:54 pm Think the "go and get ******" response he would get from me too. I did think of starting a rumour that i was going to replace the wood pile with a heating oil tank , or propane tank or even a sodding great compost bin full of cow shit.
When we first moved here,I kept 2 working terriers and three coursing greyhounds ( the glory days when hunting was legal). My late dad and me were laying slabs and drains for the kennels,and the nosy neighbour asked what we were doing. Dad,quick as a flash, said “ he is keeping pigs”. Effing priceless! “There’s a covenant in the deeds says you cannot “ actually there isn’t. The same neighbour got the arse when I put a skip - legally - outside. So I bought a £300 Sherpa van and parked it outside ( her house)for a year, and didn’t move it. Used to move it when she was at work though,to keep it about right. That REALLY pi**ed her off!I am a good and reasonable neighbour. Unless you are not. :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:13 pm
grenfell wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:54 pm Think the "go and get ******" response he would get from me too. I did think of starting a rumour that i was going to replace the wood pile with a heating oil tank , or propane tank or even a sodding great compost bin full of cow shit.
When we first moved here,I kept 2 working terriers and three coursing greyhounds ( the glory days when hunting was legal). My late dad and me were laying slabs and drains for the kennels,and the nosy neighbour asked what we were doing. Dad,quick as a flash, said “ he is keeping pigs”. Effing priceless! “There’s a covenant in the deeds says you cannot “ actually there isn’t. The same neighbour got the arse when I put a skip - legally - outside. So I bought a £300 Sherpa van and parked it outside ( her house)for a year, and didn’t move it. Used to move it when she was at work though,to keep it about right. That REALLY pi**ed her off!I am a good and reasonable neighbour. Unless you are not. :lol:

:lol:

Just think of the ambiance one of these would provide to your front garden complete with some Armco to protect it from vehicle damage
overground_gas_1.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:45 pm
jansman wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:13 pm

:lol:

Just think of the ambiance one of these would provide to your front garden complete with some Armco to protect it from vehicle damage

overground_gas_1.jpg
Yeah!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

You guys :lol: :lol: :lol: I do love that last sentence of yours, jansman: "I am a good and reasonable neighbour. Unless you are not." Priceless :mrgreen:
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

I'm a lovely neighbour. Unless you're an asshole. Then you can **** off if shtf 😂
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island