My new car GHB

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
KrisWard

Re: My new car GHB

Post by KrisWard »

What about if its really bad, and you cant make it home and may need to get out the weather. Small tent/bivy, sleeping bag. something to keep you warm and maybe boil water? I find buddy burners nice and handy here. Comms pack - whistle/signalling mirrow, radio, walkie talkies.

I have just downsized my kit from a full 110ltr bergen which was basically a full BOB, to a 60ltr minimalist kit which is only around 2 stonne, and will able to look after me if I need to stay outdoors for a night or two as an emergency, albeit not a fully loaded kit.

3 to 4 hours is a long time to be walking in bad weather.

Stay safe

Kris
unsure

Post by unsure »

it is a long time to be walking , but that really is a last option and only then after waying up the options available to me at the time . i`m putting a lot of faith in my old land rover not to let me down .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

unsure wrote:
ice grips , theres an idea .
see the last pic i posted that gray pod with Rud quick step contains these

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehs ... 60K%7B%7Bt

i also have these which are in in my draw at the moment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RUD-Bergsteiger ... B006BSYW0O
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
KrisWard

Post by KrisWard »

unsure wrote:it is a long time to be walking , but that really is a last option and only then after waying up the options available to me at the time . i`m putting a lot of faith in my old land rover not to let me down .
Well lets face it you have a most reliable of vehicles, well known for reliability on all terrains, far superior to my little Ford Focus lol
unsure

Post by unsure »

that is the case , but it wont help if the roads are all blocked with broken down or stuck cars .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

unsure wrote:that is the case , but it wont help if the roads are all blocked with broken down or stuck cars .
Give it a big Lift and then you can just drive over the Ford Foci in you way :twisted:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
unsure wrote:that is the case , but it wont help if the roads are all blocked with broken down or stuck cars .
Give it a big Lift and then you can just drive over the Ford Foci in you way :twisted:

Or do what one bloke i know does and goes and sits at the bottom of a hill with a tow strap to earn beer money...... :o
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
unsure

Post by unsure »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
ForgeCorvus wrote:

Or do what one bloke i know does and goes and sits at the bottom of a hill with a tow strap to earn beer money...... :o
its all ready got a big lift on it , lol
.imagine how much fuel i`d go through driving over all those cars .
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Having read though the replies, I seam to have much the same as has already been listed. Although, as is my preference, I think I'm running a bit lighter than other. My kit consists of:

Day Sack
Lightweight Sleeping Bag (3 Season)
Karrimor Emergency Bag (Orange Heavy Duty Plastic Bivi) - Can be cut along seams to create a shelter sheet.
Softie Suit
Jet Boil with full gas can
2 x US MRE + loose spares - this will feed me for 2 days at a push.
4 litres of water
Brew Kit
Packet of Caffine Chewing Gum
FAK

By my reckoning, this should allow me to either hunker down in my car for 24 -48 hrs or ditch the car and head for civilisation.
CUM SI NON - WHEN, NOT IF

“These men are living out here on rice and beans, sleeping out in the cold in these rags… these are some ****’ hard men. You ladies bitch if you get an MRE without a ****’ Pop Tart.”
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Gunny: Welcome to the forum
You need spare socks, good ones (I like wool....A lot ) and maybe a decent set of footwear (I don't know what you normally wear).
If you're stuck in the car, clean and dry socks can be the difference between cold and frostbite.
If you have to leg it, make sure you've got something thats up to the job.... Some ice-grippers will make the hike a lot safer (and give you traction if you need to push the car )

A 'Comfort bottle' would be useful as well, no need to get out of the car when the tea has made its way through your system.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar