axe or knife

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
coxxy666

axe or knife

Post by coxxy666 »

I would like people's views on this.
In my B.O.B I have poncho, rations and various other items I want to put a knife in it, I have seen a few that have axes I know it is up to me, I just want to hear both sides.

I can't wait to hear from everyone.
When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that. You find someone to carry you.
pseudonym

Re: axe or knife

Post by pseudonym »

Each to their own; but, I would carry both.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I think most would choose the tool they are comfortable with, if they had to go one way, using either is a skill no different to chucking a walkie talkie in there with no practice using it, for working with as a tool I'd choose it for what the other couldn't do so I would say decent knife, but then I'd want a folding saw in there aswell.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Maddosammo

Post by Maddosammo »

Both, they fill two different roles, but if i couldn't have both id choose a large knife. can baton wood and clear brush when setting up camp and can be small enough to conceal should you need to (keeping ideas within the law, up until the is WROL).

But choice the thing that you have the greatest skill and confidence with.

just my input.
Sam

Area 9
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

If carrying both isn't an option then go with the one you feel you can use the best. For me that would be the axe. I've spent most of my life as a carpenter and have used one not quite daily but it's never been far away and at times have used it as a knife , at the end of the day they are both just sharpened lumps of metal on a handle.
From the legal point I suppose that being in my line of work I have reason to carry an axe whereas from a plod point of view a large sheath knife might attract an "hello, hello , hello" . I've only ever been searched once and that was by military police when working on an MOD site and my axe was with other tools and was ignored.
The folding saw is a good idea.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

It depends which definition of Bug Out you follow...

If like me Bugging Out is a process whereby you move as quickly as you can and as quietly as you can, you are not likely going to need (or desire the weight of) an axe.

If on the other hand you believe Bugging Out to be a kind of emergency camping, then you will definitely want an axe and it would not be out of place among all the other kit you need to go with it.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Your location is listed as Germany, and I don't know what your laws are on carrying Sharps are.

I'm going to assume that your BoB is a 'head for the hills' type (you've got more wild places over there then we have, so this approach would work for you in a way that it won't in England)

In my BoB I'd rather have an axe and no knife then a knife and no axe. But, I have a locking knife for work (or a non-locker at other times) and a multitool as an EDC anyway.

If you can only have one tool, you need one that can do the most functions. Such as a heavy fixed blade knife that can be used to baton and chop, it doesn't have to be massive though (something cheap like a Mora Robust or a Hultafors Heavy Duty, you're going to kill it sooner or later as you're asking a little too much using a knife for axe work).

A better option is a light axe/hatchet (or a dedicated chopping tool like a billhook) and a 'light duties' knife, either a small fixed (any of the standard Moras or the Hultafors Craftsman range ) or a good medium large folder (I'd go for an Opinel #8..... But then, I like them ) something with a three to four inch blade and shaving sharp for doing the really fine stuff.

The other (less used, but no less valid) option is small fixed blade and a folding saw.

What are your plans as that will make your choice clearer
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
delard

Post by delard »

Hi,

Personally I'd prefer a big fixed blade knife. An axe is great at felling trees - but for most other things I'd rather have a knife.

I like the Cold Steel recon scout. Here is a way over the top video of people chopping up stuff with one :) :

And a review :

And someone felling a tree with one :

They aren't cheap - but pretty much indestructible.

- delard
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

A decent Bill Hook will be able to perform well with chopping and cutting if the blade is maintained correctly. my personnal p[reference is a Staffordshire Bill Hook. http://www.toolandfix.com/spear-and-jac ... tAodDi0A_g
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

I would go for knife - Depends on how light you want to travel.