EDC variations

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Plymtom

EDC variations

Post by Plymtom »

OK so Bettersafethansorry's Specific Scenario thread (which I think is a good idea and probably more entertaining than American Blackout) in which someone be caught pants down as it were with nothing but a few quid and a pocket tool (assuming as they were on the way to a shop they had a bit of cash)
My point is I am never quite that ill equipped, even around the house, even in the shower a couple of things are always with me, as soon as I step foot outside the door asides from putting the bins in the lane from the yard, I put on my belt bag (my EDC before I knew what they were :lol: ) if on foot I have a small rucksack which I do a little city centre shopping with, in that there are a couple of things, a small tarp and a mylar shelter thing some paracord and a few first aid items/ handwash.

My circumstances are whilst probably not unique different to most being a carer for my wife + daughter so there is no work in the normal sense of the word ( though if anyone thinks I'm happier as I am rather than being able to go earn 30-40K a year doing what I previously did before She got ill... dream on) so beyond the foot errands there is shopping by car for heavy items which one trip a week is still walking distance, the other is a 16 mile round trip so there's a car bag or two which cover for that and the fortnightly run to the range which is more serious at around 30 miles away and a complete nightmare to get back from if the car broke (or all cars did in BSTS's scenario) with at least one disabled person and the other two not well placed for covering great distances either, on rarer occasions we do go further 100 miles by road and more like 70 as the crow flies, but that is it the variations for weather possibilities that go in the car are well still experimental as the activities outside of shopping are new this year, previously our elastic band went about 15 miles from home for pleasure at most and not too often, so how much do you vary what you carry and put in the car? mine's got to change to allow to walk across the entire county if needs be and it would take a few days to more than a week in reality depending on the location we got stuck in, the shopping one would take me 3 hours all going well, which funnily enough would be about the same or a little less than it would take to do the same distance in this city in a mild and unexpected snowstorm.

I am thinking about something like a golf cart, perhaps even one of those all terrain child's buggy thing, fishing trolley? The things that go with us in the car could not be left behind so this is one prep that needs some thought :?
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Briggs

Re: EDC variations

Post by Briggs »

Have you thought about investigating potential friendly/accommodating stop over locations on your routes home? Breaking the route down and knowing where your next stop over would cut down the amount of kit you may need to transport and give you prep time for the next leg.

I'm guessing some of your routes cross the moor - that's a whole different ball game because you need to plan for all weathers no matter what the season is. I can understand your concerns but without knowing your specific logistics regarding family it's difficult to advise on a get-home buggy.
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.
Plymtom

Re: EDC variations

Post by Plymtom »

Let's face it the odds are long on a total calamity, chances are at the fortnightly range temporary accommodation would be arranged, the distant one may be closer to some other old friends than I had thought about initially or failing that everyone there would be in a similar boat so to speak, but I have looked at some fishing trolleys which would make even rough terrain do-able, yes the moor stands between us and home on the distant run and it's 100 miles by road because it's quicker/safer/simpler to go around it and double back, obviously carless it would be senseless to go the long way, but proper cross country trekking a-la 10 Torrs is I think out of the question, Dartmoor has a well deserved reputation for being a wild unforgiving place, yet if you know your limitations and take it in small bites you can get home, the wild food book should be in the gear somewhere and some basic food like rice, game could be taken too so it's not like we would be helpless, just limited by arthritis in my case and something far worse in theirs.

As for weather extremes TBH I know Dartmoor can be a law unto itself but the distant trip doesn't happen between October and February and in all honesty the conditions then would have to be pretty good for us to have gone at all, then the other dates are generally spring and summer time also if there's a chance of snow we wont travel anyway even to the big Tesco/Asda , it's madness all we really need shopping wise can be had close by and on foot too, out would come the Granny trolley, so you can see the odds are longer for us because we take less chances by necessity, it's just the prepper mentality wanting to cover or at least have some chance of getting back home in any eventuality, an afternoon/day out turning into an expedition, remember if it was just our car broken we could get home somehow RAC/AA you know, still a nightmare but not a SHTF for everyone, and as ever the thread was started to bounce ideas around, not because I am worried sick about a hole in my preparedness no way, having an activity and a club to enjoy the activity and company at far outweighs any prepping concerns, and the local travel is just me and I'd be home in half a day :D
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.