Vehicles, and Modifications

Logistics and Transport
Meyou

Vehicles, and Modifications

Post by Meyou »

This area is so Empty! So I'mma going to post something which has been on my mind for a while now. Which is Vehicles, and Modifications to them. I'm not too concerned about minor mods like jerry can carriers and the likes, but major mods like suspension upgrades and the likes.

I've been driving my current car for two years now, and I know its capabilities on and off road. I know it will struggle with some potential obstacles, and want to modify it to overcome them. Problem is, if I put a specific modification onto the car, and then BREAK said mod, getting replacement parts would be near impossible in a post-disaster enviroment, essentially rendering my BOV a two ton paperweight.

The way I see it, keeping it (Mostly) stock would make replacement parts easy to find, at the expense of getting stuck in the mud occasionally. Modifying it would mean I dont get stuck (As much) but if I break the part, I'll probably have to hoof it from that point onwards.

What is folks opinions? IS there a third option I've missed here?
Northern Raider

Re: Vehicles, and Modifications

Post by Northern Raider »

We sadly cant have it all ways, practical realities stop us from buying Pinzgaurs and Unimogs. Currently my BOV is as you say a two ton papperweight buried in two feet on snow sat on two iches of ice and going nowhere.
That leaves me utterly reliant on my domestic caches and a Mitsy Pinin.

You should in an ideal world also have a vehicle made in your own country, still in production with affordable parts, that sort of focuses things down to Landies, European made ford, gm, toyota and nissan vehicles like Transits 4x4s.
Meyou

Post by Meyou »

Aye, I've been eying up a Landy for a while now. But as you said, thats an ideal world. The only Landies I can afford, are either old, knackered, or old and knackered.

I suppose the old part would be a blessing in disguise, as I could probably fix it with a Mallet. As opposed to a computer with most modern vehicles.
janso

Post by janso »

As NR has said, land rovers are an example and my own preference.

I have a penchant for defenders and have done a bit of off roading with them as well as used them for emergency work and would definitely shout out about them. A friend of mine runs overland expeditions and swears by them. If you look at any commercial or private overland expedition anywhere in the world, you'll see either defenders or jap 4x4's.

Jap 4x4's have a proven record with regard to their ability to keep going, even as a normal motor - Hondas have a really good image as a normal vehicle. Land Rovers, and especially Defenders, are built to be fixed with a bit of know how and a hammer! On overland expeditions, especially Saharan, any local mechanic has the jnowledge, ability and more importantly can easily source the needed parts as there are so many of them being used, even by locals traversing desert territories. Its no coincidence that land rovers have been used by the British military for donkeys years because of there reliability.

They do have a tendency to leak oil, but apparently thats just a land rover marking its territory :lol: :lol:

My long term plan is to afford a defender station wagon td5 sx at some point, tidy it up for overland expeds, and use that for the end of time hopefully... replace the engine every 300 000 - 400 000 miles and keep it going. One vehicle that doubles as a works vehicle, response vehicle, camper vehicle (with roof tent) and normal everyday family wagon... fingers crossed!! ;)
Northern Raider

Post by Northern Raider »

I actually dream of owning an ancient series 3 SWB landy I have seen for sale down south, Its got a 2.5 litre Transit diesel motor fitted. £3250 A dream I'll never realise cos i'll never have enough money to buy one, but dream on I shall.
Meyou

Post by Meyou »

janso wrote:
They do have a tendency to leak oil, but apparently thats just a land rover marking its territory :lol: :lol:
As a friend once told me concerning Defenders, As long as its not leaking out faster than you can pour it in, its fine!

I would love a series 3. My only concern with them, is they're not economical enough for me to use as my daily runabout, as I do a lot of miles back and forth to work. This would mean needing two vehicles...which would hurt. I guess I could swap the engine and trans out for something a bit newer and better on the fuel, but then I might as well buy a whole new vehicle.
John1788

Post by John1788 »

Hi,ive been looking at either the Ford Maverick or the Nissan Terrano as they seem ok and cheapish to buy now.Ideal if i can get a p/x swap for my car even if it means dropping down a few regs.
ORAC1

Post by ORAC1 »

Hi,
A very good Landy site is http://exmod.co.uk/ you will find a good supply of ex utility company vehicles that already have uprated suspension and typically winches. I got an ex Environment Agency Defender 130 which I am kitting out as an overland / bug out vehicle.
Attachments
Defender 130
Defender 130
130Quad.jpg (56.74 KiB) Viewed 4888 times
Area 2
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

why modify any vehicle? if we are talking BOV's and i assume we are, within 1 normal winter post SHTF certainly within 2 all roads will have started to break up and weeds, scrub and trees will be starting to take over, and forget about going off road as the countryside wont fare any better, without farmers and country people and stock to graze it the grass will be chest high and intersperced with bracken and thick brambles it will be inpenetratable. you will have to clear your own path with a machette and an axe and it will be slow painstaking work...and thats just so you can walk through, cutting a path for a vehicle with all the tree trunks in the way will be impossible, thats if there is any fuel left anyway.
chris8472

Post by chris8472 »

ORAC1 wrote:Hi,
A very good Landy site is http://exmod.co.uk/ you will find a good supply of ex utility company vehicles that already have uprated suspension and typically winches. I got an ex Environment Agency Defender 130 which I am kitting out as an overland / bug out vehicle.
nice truck m8 a good web site for overland vehicles is overland rovers im into modifide landys my self a good thing is to joyne a 4x4 club that do green lane days not that hard on you or your truck and if you know your local lanes you can us them as a bug out route when the roads are blocked