What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Brambles

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by Brambles » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:14 pm

The Spinach took four hours to dehydrate from very wet. I've rehydrated a bit and there's no difference between it and fresh cooked. I call that a win :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Prepping Lite. We carry a lot of food and torches, but we also like wine and holidays~itsy

jansman

Post by jansman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:46 pm

Brambles wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:14 pm
The Spinach took four hours to dehydrate from very wet. I've rehydrated a bit and there's no difference between it and fresh cooked. I call that a win :D
So you wilted it first? Full leaves?

I grow a lot of spinach,this could work.
'Yesterday is history,tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift.'
Josephine Burgess.

Brambles

Post by Brambles » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:17 am

jansman wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:46 pm
Brambles wrote:
So you wilted it first? Full leaves?

I grow a lot of spinach,this could work.
Yep, wilted the leaves whole, squeezed out a lot of the water and then separated out the ball of leaves and laid it out on the trays, I didn't get too precious about it, but tried to make sure there wasn't too much stuck together.
The reason I tried is that I find frozen spinach suffers from freezer burn quite quickly so I thought I'd give dehydrating a go.
This is a 260g bag of fresh spinach. :)
unnamed.jpg
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Prepping Lite. We carry a lot of food and torches, but we also like wine and holidays~itsy

ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:42 am

Brambles wrote:
Oooh!! Love spinach but it doesn't agree with me so I grow and eat chard which doesn't have the same effect. I'm guessing it should work with chard to... :D

Edit: a google implies chard is frequently dehydrated, mostly then pulverised into powder, but as I like to use in wilted in a Chinese garlic sauce, chopped into 4" bits like this website does seems perfect! Definitely going to give this a try! https://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com ... iss-chard/
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb

jansman

Post by jansman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Excellent Brambles,thanks. I am on it!
'Yesterday is history,tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift.'
Josephine Burgess.

Deeps

Post by Deeps » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Bolognese at the moment, to be vacc sealed and used for hill walking. I keep meaning to start harvesting nettles to give them a go even if its just to break them down to throw into soups and the like.