My BOB/ GHB Combi.... PIC HEAVY

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: My BOB/ GHB Combi.... PIC HEAVY

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Slazanger wrote:Managed to take it out for a test hike or two yet ? im still in the pondering phase :)

used it going to the airport in the spring im not a small chap and work in manual labour it fits ok this needs a bit of repacking getting the tent and heavy bits near the bottom of the main pack but its not too bad
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
John1788

Post by John1788 »

Nice Bag,wish I had seen these before I got my last one,will have to think of a reason to upgrade without getting Divorced :P
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Slazanger wrote:Managed to take it out for a test hike or two yet ? im still in the pondering phase :)

used it going to the airport in the spring im not a small chap and work in manual labour it fits ok this needs a bit of repacking getting the tent and heavy bits near the bottom of the main pack but its not too bad
Thats not where you should have the weight.
The human spine is better at taking loads pushing down on it, on the shoulders or the top of the head... Think Tumpline, African women or Billingsgate fish-porters. Seriously heavy loads carried over long distances or at least for a long time

A load in the middle or (even worse) the lower back, pulls you backwards forcing you to lean over in order to put centre-mass over the hips.... It'll also pound the gak out of your kidneys

I'll see if I can find a good link and picture of what I'm trying to say.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
Yorkshire Andy wrote:

Thats not where you should have the weight.
The human spine is better at taking loads pushing down on it, on the shoulders or the top of the head... Think Tumpline, African women or Billingsgate fish-porters. Seriously heavy loads carried over long distances or at least for a long time

A load in the middle or (even worse) the lower back, pulls you backwards forcing you to lean over in order to put centre-mass over the hips.... It'll also pound the gak out of your kidneys

I'll see if I can find a good link and picture of what I'm trying to say.
Thanks for that i cant remember where i was told to put heavy stuff low down probably some over enthusiastic PE teacher doing DofE lower = not top heavy or something

seve7n

Post by seve7n »

As a newbie, this is a great post. Good effort :-)
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

Basic rule of thumb is:
Heavy items at the top
Medium items in the middle
lighter items at the bottom

So that your shoulders are taking most of the weight...
Generally works in theory, but also depends on how quickly you want to access the items in your bergan.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Just done a bit of repacking put all the clothing jacket and sleeping bag inside a vacuum storage bag which has freed up a lot of room but ive not filled the void its much easier to close up now and i know i can get all the bits back in un vac packed if needed I can suck the air out without using a vac cleaner anyway It will keep the contents dry and clean and give me another big strong water storage bag if needed....

Added some sachets of shampoo and shower gell the maid kept leaving in bathroom in my hotel :D and some more loo roll

The 2 bags combined touch 20.40kg bit heavy but i can manage it fairly comfortably but there is 1 litre of water in there and a 24 hour ration pack...