EDC Torch?

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Quercus-robur

EDC Torch?

Post by Quercus-robur »

I am looking for a suitable torch for an EDC kit. I already have a decent head-torch, dynamo lantern and other useful sources of illumination for general use. I am specifically looking for a small, powerful, sturdy yet not overly expensive torch for my EDC kit yet I'm not sure where to start. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.
Attack Warning Red

Re: EDC Torch?

Post by Attack Warning Red »

I carry an LED Lenser Police Tech Focus. A little bulky, but bright and goes for something like 50hrs or so (I think, check this!). Tough thing and I've carried it on me since I bought it on a whim in 2007.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
munchh

Post by munchh »

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0812135453

ive got these on every set of keys in the house and a couple of spares and batteries in my edc as these new ones with the switch are just great and take up very little room. ;)
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Quercus-robur

Post by Quercus-robur »

Thanks for the recommendation. It looks great and has loads of good reviews online but how have you found it in experience? It says it can cast a beam for 220m. Have you found you get a good beam of light at those distances? It says it is bright at 115 lumens. Though I know that it is the unit of measurement I have no frame of reference. How bright is that in practical terms? For example, have you been out walking at night with it and how much of your surroundings did it illuminate?

Cheers
Qr

'At Spes Infracta'

Quercus-robur

Post by Quercus-robur »

munchh wrote:http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0812135453

ive got these on every set of keys in the house and a couple of spares and batteries in my edc as these new ones with the switch are just great and take up very little room. ;)
Thanks. I have one of these in my survival tin and may get another for my keys. What I had in mind though for my EDC kit was something a bit more substantial. As well as a survival tin I carry in my pocket I also have the Maxpedition Organizer so was thinking of something that would fit in that. Do you use any other compact torches?

Qr

'At Spes Infracta'

Attack Warning Red

Post by Attack Warning Red »

It's just a very bright white LED light. Hard to describe really, other than it's what you'd expect from a good, modern LED torch. You can twist the head to widen the beam too. I've needed it quite a few times, hence I always have it with me. On my way to work now and it's in my laptop case along with other EDC items. Had to walk along underground train tunnels more than once, had power cuts while walking through London, power cuts in workplaces and all sorts. Each time it's done the job well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
EddieEnzyme

Post by EddieEnzyme »

Thrunite Ti is a cracking little AAA torch. It'll cost you about 9 quid for an aluminium torch that will put out a genuine 60lumens (bright!) Or, and this was the clincher for me, it has a firefly mode which is great for a bit of illumination if your eyes are adjusted to the dark, without dazzle.
It also has the advantage of using AAA batteries which are available cheaply in any corner shop in any country.
You can find them on ebay or from The Thrunite store.

Linky:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thrunite-Ti-C ... 4d0754859f

OR, if you fancy one drop me a line and I can send you an unused spare I have for a fiver.
munchh

Post by munchh »

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1645&start=40

mine is still pretty much what I have posted here, head torch, although ive upgraded from the one shown in the pic and a windup pebble torch.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Anything LED Lenser. The dogs danglies imo! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

LED lenser for me too !!!