Wild Garlic Flatbread

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
itsybitsy

Wild Garlic Flatbread

Post by itsybitsy »

Can be cooked on a stone over the campfire

Ingredients
•A couple of handfuls of young wild garlic leaves, finely chopped
•500g self raising flour (plain, wholemeal or a mix), and a little for dusting
•250 ml water
•50ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
•a few pinches of salt
•Other herbs as required

Method
Mix all the ingredients together and knead for five minutes. Divider into four balls and roll out (or press flat by hand). Cook on a very hot, large flat rock for 5-10 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Eat spread with butter.
scoobie

Re: Wild Garlic Flatbread

Post by scoobie »

Ooooh, that looks good... I've been wondering about making bread on a campfire. Do you know of any suitable commercial alternatives to a big old flat bit of rock?! (like a big pizza stone, but maybe cast iron so it wont smash when I eventually drop it?!)
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
mike.f

Post by mike.f »

That sounds delicious! Can’t wait for the wild garlic to come up so I can give it a go!

A way that I sometimes cook bread is to roll it into a sausage then twist it round a stick (green hazel is good). This can then be stuck in the ground next to the fire or lent up against a wood stove.

Do you know of any suitable commercial alternatives to a big old flat bit of rock?! (like a big pizza stone, but maybe cast iron so it wont smash when I eventually drop it?!)
You can bake bread in a Dutch oven.

http://www.squidoo.com/dutchovenbread
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

Thanks Mike.. I had been looking for dutch oven baking techniques but wasn't able to find much... but that's great, thanks!
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

scoobie wrote:Ooooh, that looks good... I've been wondering about making bread on a campfire. Do you know of any suitable commercial alternatives to a big old flat bit of rock?! (like a big pizza stone, but maybe cast iron so it wont smash when I eventually drop it?!)
You can get a cast iron pizza stone/plate thingy - but that's gonna be heavy to carry - hence the stone technique so you can just discard it when you're done!
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

You could of course substitute the garlic for anything you fancy I guess. Spinach, chilli, rosemary - it's vey versatile! :D
Huorn

Post by Huorn »

Dutch ovens work very well. We've used ordinary billys too with success for bannocks. The secret is to cook over a bed of embers rather than flames.

I've recently heard of people using an upturned wok covered with embers to bake under, which is appealing. Much lighter than a dutch oven!

H
Erinlouiser

Post by Erinlouiser »

This looks great, I have just added this to my 'to do' list for next week, funny thing that list always seems to keep getting longer :lol:
junmist

Post by junmist »

tried this recipe yesterday as I am rubbish at making normal bread I used hedge garlic instead of wild garlic and I was very impressed finely bread that I can eat although I think I might need to put a bit more salt in it for my tastes. I think I will need to play with it little more untill I get it right for me.
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
NorthernWoody

Post by NorthernWoody »

Yummy yum yum yum!!! I adore garlic, especially wild garlic!
Area 10