Preppers brekky

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
The-Great-Nothing

Preppers brekky

Post by The-Great-Nothing »

Hi.

I normally like a couple of slices of buttered toast with a cuppa for breakfast. But I woke this morning to find I didn't have any bread out of the freezer. So I looked in the cupboards & under the chickens & decided to make a preppers breakfast!

In a pan put half a mug of porridge oats with a mug of water & small tablespoon of powdered milk. Heat on your preferred heat source (wood burner for me) until cooked and thickened, add salt and pepper. Set aside in a warm spot.

In a fresh pan add a teaspoon of oil and a couple of eggs - scramble and cook to your desired texture.

Serve the porridge and eggs side by side with a large tablespoon of honey drizzled over it all.

Serves 2.

Tasty. Full of energy & protein. All from long term stores/chickens. Quick and easy.

I'm all set to go build a green house at my allotment now :)

Cheers!

Matt
Arzosah

Re: Preppers brekky

Post by Arzosah »

Now thats the kind of post I like to read of a morning! Just been dealing with horrible phone call, and thats cheered me right up, thanks Matt!

Piccies of the greenhouse please!
Gone fishing

Post by Gone fishing »

That sounds very tasty.
The other evening I tried making bannock bread and it was horrible.
I didn't have the right type of flour and the whole meal flourish used just didn't go right.
I think trying out camp recipes is a very good idea.
This weekend we are having the last of our rewire finished off so no electricity from Saturday morning until Monday morning.
I am going to use my charcoal burner, wood gas stove and Kelly kettle.
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

Just hope it stays warm for you on the weekend so you can do everything outside on your cookers etc.
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

When I am out of porridge (which is rare) i tend to make lentils or buckwheat or both. Sometimes a brothy thing, sometimes gram flour and rice flour pancakes, if I am really desperate, just cooked rice. But cooked cheap rice seems to have no nutritional value and IMHO should be treated as a bulking agent or a low grade carb to add to the bulk of the meal.

If I am really really desperate, my lunches can be just rice with gravy. Things have been that hard for me before, but somehow I am still here to tell the tale.

Bottom line is, make sure you have something in the cupboards in case things do get hard for you.

Also, try and not get to the point whereby things get that hard.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks