Office EDC????

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
RockingDad

Office EDC????

Post by RockingDad »

Whilst on the train the other day going to one of the locations I work at I got to thinking. If it kicked off while I was at Stratford or Shenfield or Chelmsford, my BOB (work is progress) is at home, my 4x4 bag in the Jeep...is in the Jeep and then I got to thinking what would I carry with me without bringing attention to myself in day to day work environments.

I have a rucksack I use for work and when thats knackered I shall go for a black molle type tactical rucksack about 30L.

What do other office dwellers like me take around with them daily.

This is what got me thinking about boots (in equipment forum) and decent walking footwear for work...a walk home could take me several hours, the longest being over 20 hours at normal walking pace!

RockingDad
metatron

Re: Office EDC????

Post by metatron »

This is my work EDC. I'm a man so I don't wear uncomfortable shoes, Redback Bobcat boots for example a very nice and can take a polish, if you need that shine.

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I would get a plain rucksack as I read somewhere to avoid any military looking kit as it may draw attention to you being a prepper.

I am lucky that my work requires me to have a ruck/bag and have just ordered this (5.11 small kit bag), the side folds out into an organiser .

Have a good look on Amazon loads on there , searching for tool kit brings up some interesting possibilities
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

A laptop bag is very useful for an edc in the city, nothing unusual about seeing one of those.

Or a very nice Swiss-army backpack I have one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VOC90Y/? ... B000VOC90Y

Real pain at border control though :shock:
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

essgee23

Post by essgee23 »

12mp82 wrote:A laptop bag is very useful for an edc in the city, nothing unusual about seeing one of those.

Or a very nice Swiss-army backpack I have one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VOC90Y/? ... B000VOC90Y

Very nice piece of kit, will have a look through the reviews. I like the look of that - however the quality does make it look valuable. Target??
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I carry my stuff in one of these. Brilliant bag - really adjustable so it fits well, and it has loads of room. Also I've seen about 5 people with the same bag in my office alone, so it's camouflaged by its popularity!

In terms of footwear, I have a pair of kids thermal hiking boots that I got for £30 in TK Maxx - I have titchy feet! They wouldn't hold up against much scrutiny in terms of workwear (particularly *women's* workwear), but my team all know I wear them (they joke that they are my 'adventure boots') and I've not had any complaints from any big boss bods yet. My trousers are long enough to cover them up if necessary.
RockingDad

Post by RockingDad »

12mp82 wrote:A laptop bag is very useful for an edc in the city, nothing unusual about seeing one of those.

The rucksack I currently use is a swiss backpack... This one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swissgear-GA-73 ... B000VSDLR0

my gripe with it is that it has quite good load space for a day sack but has no waist straps to help distribute the load so after a while of carrying a reasonable amount of weight shoulders ache and lower back can have problems over time. I could mod it I guess and stitch something on myself perhaps.

Thanks for all the thoughts on here. I'm thinking maybe the black CAT workboots that can be polished. Think I'm going to buy a molle pouch to put some EDC stuff into i think to stow in the current rucksack.

RockingDad
essgee23

Post by essgee23 »

a new gerber belt.... ;) :shock:

hmmmm maybe....

robbo4781

Post by robbo4781 »

Ok my first stupid question,

I know what a BOB is, But being as i aint been around much.... What does EDC and GHB stand for?. I have studied bushcraft my whole life nearly, but i am still quite new to prepping. And i aint been to UK for the last 15 years, just got back and i aint up with the terms yet.
However i always carry a green bug out daysack and in it is.....

a tinder box containing charcloth, ferro rod, steel and mag glass.
leatherman wave
2 x 8 hr candles
soap
travel towel
rat pack componants
bottle of water 1ltr
paracord, cant say how much but loads
2 lighters
pack of 10 stanleyblades
softy doss bag
helly hanson fleece..... my fave ever
and
spare socks.

Is this an EDC or GHB? You should see whats in my car.

Robbo
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Robbo,

EDC - everyday day carry
GHB - Get Home Bag

Here's a thread that I might help with all the acronyms.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=648