first aid kit what one?

Medical and Healthcare
tommy1996

first aid kit what one?

Post by tommy1996 »

im looking for a small one for my bob theres loads on ebay but not sure whats the best one. or am i better off making my own one up? if so can anyone recommend what to put in it or what kit to buy.
many thanks
Ben
preppingsu

Re: first aid kit what one?

Post by preppingsu »

Have a look here for a very comprehensive medical list

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29

Then decide what you need to carry with you.
I would suggest plasters, triangular bandage, sterile gauze pads, long bandage, steri strips, micropore tape, antiseptic wipes as a basic start. Then depending on what you think you might need add to it.

Pound shops have a great selection of items to start you off. I have also ordered from this company and was very happy with the service and cost (but I was ordering a lot for a bigger kit at home).

http://boundtree.co.uk/
Sheepster

Post by Sheepster »

Just been looking for a good first aid kit, Excellent link now too choose how far too go?
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

I have drastically reduced the size of my 1st Aid kit for travelling:

CAT Tourniquet
First Field dressing
Sterile dressings
Electrical tape
Antiseptic wipes
Laxatives
Imodium
AntiAcids
Lemsips
Ibuprofen
Glucose Tablets
Dioralyte

This is for a BOB in a Bergen, I find this is all I require for week long trips as well,

I have Car, Home and small surgery Kits also.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Lifesystems does a bunch of very nice first aid kits, they come in very well made bags, I've had them for years as I work my way through them, I replace and mod what they contain.
essgee23

Post by essgee23 »

Pseudo - i have a very similar stock to you in my kit.

i have added anti-hystamines instead of laxatives though. :)

just been talking to OH who now wants a FAK for her car along with the subtle prep bits she has surreptiteously gained over the past few weeks.

have a foil blanket in mine and hand gel with wipes too.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

essgee23 wrote:Pseudo - i have a very similar stock to you in my kit.

i have added anti-hystamines instead of laxatives though. :)

have a foil blanket in mine and hand gel with wipes too.
Nice one. :mrgreen:

I like the lemsips as pain relief after a day walking with your Kit - gives you a hot drink before bed too :P

As I have more chance of a dodgy stomach then getting hayfever/reaction to a sting, I'll keep the laxatives, besides sticking a few into someones tea is fun :twisted:

A Foil blanket is in my possibles pouch, hand gel in my toiletries bag ;)
essgee23

Post by essgee23 »

this is going badly off topic, but ill return by end:

a mate of mine used to be a police man in the 80's, they had a constant issue with a car parking somewhere blocking foot-traffic...every day, and they ignored tickets etc...but they left their rottweiler in the car with a small gap in window.... after posting a bar or 2 of exlax choc through, the car wasnt there again.... ;)

we have more need for piriton etc in my family, but is a good example of how all our kits are individualised isnt it.

might be worth keeping a marker pen in there too - especially if using torniquet so you can mark up who has one for when it needs releasing or when extar help arrives and carts people off, so they dont get missed.
Last edited by essgee23 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

essgee23 wrote: might be worth keeping a marker pen in there too - especially if using torniquet so you can mark up who has one for when it needs releasing or when extar help arrives and carts people off, so they dont get missed.

Well reminded. Thanks :mrgreen:
essgee23

Post by essgee23 »

tommy1996 wrote:im looking for a small one for my bob theres loads on ebay but not sure whats the best one. or am i better off making my own one up? if so can anyone recommend what to put in it or what kit to buy.
many thanks
Ben
definitely think you would be better off building your own kit, some good stuff mentioned on this thread already.

in my opinion, make sure you have the basics covered and know what you are doing with ANY kit.

obviously keeping clean and avoiding cross infection is paramount.

get some gloves and keep them within easy access so can throw them on before helping others (oh and change hem between people if is a big incident :D )