Bio desiel advise please

Logistics and Transport
junmist

Bio desiel advise please

Post by junmist »

right I've got the desiel car with the hopes of converting it to bio desiel. But as there are still not loads of garages that sell bio desiel and I do go all over the country if I run low and cannot find a garage selling bio could I still put normal desiel in the car :o or is that a no no :D
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
Reservior

Re: Bio desiel advise please

Post by Reservior »

Why do you think it needs converting?

A lot of diesel cars will run on bio and/or veg oil without any kind of conversion, I believe.
jansman

Post by jansman »

As far as I am aware, a percentage of ALL diesel has to contain bio fuel( I think that goes for petrol too) it is one of those "green" targets. So on the back of that, your motor will run on both. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Reservior

Post by Reservior »

I think you are mainly right Jansman.

To run solely on bio or veg oil, without conversion, depends on the type of fuel pump though. I can't, for the life of me remember if it needs to be Bosch fuel pump or wether its the Bosch fuel pumps that need to be be avoided....
dead-man-walking

Post by dead-man-walking »

currently ALL road diesel contains a minimum of 5% bio diesel,

as to conversion, that all depends on what your classing as bio diesel?
is what your buying actual bio diesel graded to b100 level?
or just filtered and blended WVO (waste veg oil)?

most diesels pre 1996 or non common rail will run on a veg oil blend,
after that technically they will still run but you may get problems as some higher end cars were fitted with a fuel viscosity sensor and it just simply goes mental even though its the same engine

also bosch pumps are generally stronger and able to handle the pressure better than a lucas equivalent, there are also issues with long term use and seal failure, veg oil is able to disolve some rubbers etc and can affect fuel lines aswell

there are still longterm issues with veg oil bypassing piston rings and entering the sump oil and also gumming up the piston rings themselves but this is usually a rare occurance and on high mileage worn engines

as to running the car on DINO juice then that isnt an issue and infact doing that once every 4th fill is recommended, due to the detergents in the dino juice helping to counteract the gumming issues, that or use redex or similar,
using bio diesel of any kind i would heavily recommend fitting a cheap( but good) inline filter somewhere inbeween the tank and the pump as it has a cleaning effect disolving any built up sludge in the fuel system and you dont want that hitting the pump or injectors
i was lucky as i was using an old toyota diesel and it just went bang with a HUGEEEE cloud of smoke and a fair bit of flame out the exhaust, scared the crap outa me and filled the road i was on with a dense cloud, never seen traffic drop back so quick, lol

personally ive ditched the diesel and gone back to petrol as the saving were no longer there, when i started you could get veg oil for 25-30p a litre if you shopped around
and during the last panic buying of fuel it was nice as the diesel runs out first and petrol comes in 2 flavors, so i just switched to super unleaded for the remaining week( infact it was the one fuel they didnt jack the price up on here)

but good luck and feel free to ask if you have more questions
jansman

Post by jansman »

I think that was a definitive answer!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
avalonadam

Post by avalonadam »

http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/

Check this site out , I used recycled and treated cooking oil. I buy it and sign a declaration saying I am using it as heating oil. Its exactly the same as the fuel they will be putting in your vehicle tank but £1 a Ltr not £1,40 if they pump it straight into my tank. I run a 1995 Fiat and it sbeen fone for ober a year on Bio diesel
tigs

Post by tigs »

older diesel engine are fine with bio diesel some of the new engine dont like it at all
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
JOE90

Post by JOE90 »

What car do you have? I ran my Land Rover on veg oil for years and had no issues. Are you making bio diesel yourself? As has been said Bosch is better, some jap injector pumps are similar to the Bosch design and are ok. Lots of companies will tell you, you need to convert but on a mechanical system thats not always(99%) the case. Go on youtube and see how many people just pour in veg oil and run it without mods.
tigs

Post by tigs »

i have a 7 year old land rover defender and a couple of older ex army land rover ed defenders , mostly run them on red diesel and veg oil
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8