Filling your tank

Logistics and Transport
maccaprepper

Filling your tank

Post by maccaprepper »

Hi all :-)

I have noticed many people even today, at the petrol station debating whether to put in £10 or £20 worth of fuel esp when they are "on empty", and I have seen a few posts on here with people who drive nearly on empty. Granted, the cost of fuel is at an all time high and probably will never come down in price again and infact, if SHTF would go up in price at an alarming rate to possibily past the point we can afford even in our current ecconomy. I personally have never allowed my car to go below the 3/4 mark so when i have 3/4, i always go and fill up to the top. Last night i done this, and it cost me just under £20.

Do you fill your car to the top and keep it at the top if you can? I think the lessons of late, regarding petrol strike from the tankard drivers, etc... that one day we might actually have a problem with fuel supplys and if we have even a short term supply issue (be it due to bad weather, strikes, or anything else) the knock on effect would be huge as in supermarkets running low on food as no HGVs could drive in due to lack of fuel... follow on with panic and panic buying from every shop..

I know I can drive 350 miles at minimum on a full tank of fuel (according to the trip computer) so it's nice to know if SHTF and i needed to, i could.

I guess the other thing that has made me question my car kit (EDC for my car) is the weight - as the heavier the gear you carry, the more fuel you burn, and more you have to fill up. Plus full tank weighs more than half tank.

Its one of those ballancing issues I guess but i will never allow my car lower than 3/4 as when i bought my car last year, the dealer only had enough fuel to get me to a petrol station (30 miles worth) so i had to spend £65 to fill her to the top. Painful to spend such an amount in one go...
dead-man-walking

Re: Filling your tank

Post by dead-man-walking »

carry the cash in the car to fill the tank, but only ever run it with a 1/3rd of a tank, that gives you the most efficient use of fuel and a cover your butt fund

personally i run at quarter of a tank with £20-25 currently covering weeks running around and i refill on friday on the way home from work
jansman

Post by jansman »

We run our vehicle on no less the 3/4 tank. Got caught in 2000(or was it 2001) when the juice ran out. Dad was terminal in hospital and I had to beg and borrow juice.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
tigs

Post by tigs »

wish i lived in coventry when this happened :D http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/co ... mp-1373832
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

Never EVER run my car on less than half a tank, when it gets to this level ALWAYS fill it up again, we lived in Somerset when the fuel strike was on, i had a full tank of fuel when everyone else was PANICKING.
JOE90

Post by JOE90 »

I've got a new routine when it comes to filling up, i put 15 to 20 quid in but never let it get below 3/4 full. As for working out the weight of fuel verses economy, i wouldn't bother personally. Is it worth it? I'd rather be happy knowing i had more fuel. Also have jerry cans that i'm starting to fill up.
skinhead

Post by skinhead »

usually run mine on 1/4 tank and keep money put by, dont want to run round with a full tank to one day find someones syphoned it all off, i could cope with losing a 1/4 tank but a full tanks around 80/90 quid quite a loss to me if im honest
unsure

Post by unsure »

i store mine out back in a barrel , if some ones to nick used veg oil , they can have it .if they can get past my dog with it . :D
as for my landrover , never over a half full if i can help it . nothing to do with weight or cost . its all down to if it got stolen ,i`m more likely to get it back if it runs out of fuel .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
icrcc

Post by icrcc »

I know that this is not a fair comparison because our gas is roughly half the price of yours but the idea is the same and our fuel prices have risen the same as yours. I try to never let the vehicles get down below 3/4 full. If I do I find it is expensive to fill it up. This way it's not too hard on the pocket every week plus I feel that I have accomplished that part of my prepping plan.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://canampreppers.net/forum/index.php
KalPrep

Post by KalPrep »

We try not to let it get below 1/2 but sometimes it does. I have two 20l jerry cans of diesel put aside in case of emergency too.