What is your favorite part of prepping?

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What is your favorite part of prepping?

Post by jansman »

Reading the posts, i realise that in my ( nearly) half century on this Earth I have hunted , shot, coursed, fished, trapped and grown most food on this Isle. Hell, my career choice means I can kill and butcher ANY domestic stock.
I am glad to say I love the security of knowing these things. However, many years ago an old boy told me that as I got older I would not want to kill animals anymore. Fishing for him was another matter- you threw 'em back.

And so it becomes for me.

I store, I grow and love my garden, I love my livestock(I have fowls, rabbits and goats)and when the time comes I can be dispassionate.

Best part of prepping? Knowing the value of life-all life.

Sorry to ramble.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
JamesMR

Post by JamesMR »

Having a sense of security / readiness and knowing that if things do get bad for whatever reason you have a good chance of getting through it.

It's just fun as well, we're all like minded people so I assume everyone likes being meticulous and planning things etc and have an interest in torches or first aid or being outdoors etc
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

JamesMR wrote:
It's just fun as well

That can be the biggest benefit. If I didn't enjoy being cautious then I wouldn't be cautious, but I can think and that means I think things through despite the fact that my society (and don't tell Mum and Dad I said this !!) my upbringing goes contrary to it. If I was ever to end up in a happy relationship I would value her practicality most in the world.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
papa

Post by papa »

jansman wrote:Reading the posts, i realise that in my ( nearly) half century on this Earth I have hunted , shot, coursed, fished, trapped and grown most food on this Isle. Hell, my career choice means I can kill and butcher ANY domestic stock.
I am glad to say I love the security of knowing these things. However, many years ago an old boy told me that as I got older I would not want to kill animals anymore. Fishing for him was another matter- you threw 'em back.

And so it becomes for me.

I store, I grow and love my garden, I love my livestock(I have fowls, rabbits and goats)and when the time comes I can be dispassionate.

Best part of prepping? Knowing the value of life-all life.

Sorry to ramble.
Yip i can agree with you on that thought. I have over my life shot ,trapped, caught n killed most forms of meat sources. Still can as required but get abit kick out of food prep and storage. Go figure....
VSAINT

Post by VSAINT »

At first ( 10 years ago ) my wife thought i was mad , Then every year as she watched the news and i sat there saying i told you so , She and the kids have realised that we all must be mad .They say that if you know your mad then your reasoning shows that your not mad at all .
So my best part has to be the fact that i have been correct all along , And educated my family and friends along the way .
My saddest part has to when i was a local Coucillor and i tried in vain to set up a local emergency council , All the other 14 Coucillors laughed and informed me that we would be looked after by the Government in any such emergency .....
Oh well at least i will be the last man standing , and can make my self Mayor ....
icrcc

Post by icrcc »

I sympathize with your situation. Here in Ontario every local council has to have an emergency plan. They have to have personnel (usually unpaid in the smaller towns) to administer the plan and maintain contact with the provincial authorities. Each council has to have a designated and equipped Emergency Operation Centre also there has to be money earmarked for emergency management in the yearly municipal budget. Each year the plan has to be revisited and updated if necessary. The best part is there has to be a yearly exercise. Each year the municipality is mandated to perform community education /awareness. Plus we get regular visits from the EMO (Emergency Management Ontario) representatives. All this has to be reported to the Provincial Government each year or the town will get its fingers slapped. If they do not comply it will ultimately cost them in Provincial Funding. This sounds pretty good doesn't it? However many of the smaller municipalities only pay it lip service. Now as for the councillors they have no problem debating the plan in its yearly review but when It comes the exercise getting them to attend is like pulling teeth. For the smaller municipalities the exercise is usually a table top where responses to an emergency that most likely to affect the area is practiced. Police, fire, EMS, council, and municipal employees attend. Each year it is a different exercise. They are highly informative, useful and potentially lifesaving. Still councillors won't give up one or perhaps two evening to participate. it reminds me of the old adage you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink!
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://canampreppers.net/forum/index.php
VSAINT

Post by VSAINT »

icrcc wrote:I sympathize with your situation. Here in Ontario every local council has to have an emergency plan. They have to have personnel (usually unpaid in the smaller towns) to administer the plan and maintain contact with the provincial authorities. Each council has to have a designated and equipped Emergency Operation Centre also there has to be money earmarked for emergency management in the yearly municipal budget. Each year the plan has to be revisited and updated if necessary. The best part is there has to be a yearly exercise. Each year the municipality is mandated to perform community education /awareness. Plus we get regular visits from the EMO (Emergency Management Ontario) representatives. All this has to be reported to the Provincial Government each year or the town will get its fingers slapped. If they do not comply it will ultimately cost them in Provincial Funding. This sounds pretty good doesn't it? However many of the smaller municipalities only pay it lip service. Now as for the councillors they have no problem debating the plan in its yearly review but when It comes the exercise getting them to attend is like pulling teeth. For the smaller municipalities the exercise is usually a table top where responses to an emergency that most likely to affect the area is practiced. Police, fire, EMS, council, and municipal employees attend. Each year it is a different exercise. They are highly informative, useful and potentially lifesaving. Still councillors won't give up one or perhaps two evening to participate. it reminds me of the old adage you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink!
Our main town has an emrgency council but it always lets everyone down , especially when areas flood .So i tried to set up our own for our small 15,000 resident village ?
icrcc

Post by icrcc »

What is the approximate population of your main town?
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://canampreppers.net/forum/index.php
the7ps

Post by the7ps »

Today easily answers this question for me.
I had an hour off work so jumped in the car and headed to Lidl. It was nice and quiet so I slowly walked up each aisle, with a 50euro limit.
I bought tinned goods (some with a 2016 date), long life milk, cooking oil, vodka for trade, chocolate (for the OH) and hygiene products.

I've been off the Internet these last few weeks but being back on this site re motivated me so tonight I took my new stock down to the cellar, had a complete re organisation and feel back on the prepping track again.

What I love about prepping is; I took a month long break but slipped so easily back into it, re-stocked and re-motivated!
Lucky Jim

Post by Lucky Jim »

icrcc wrote:..What is your favorite part of prepping?..
Sitting back with my feet up wearing a smile on my face bigger than a wave on a slop bucket, thinking how when people start starving I certainly won't be one of the first to go...;)

Prepper-

Non-prepper-