A Good First Car?

Logistics and Transport
scoobie

A Good First Car?

Post by scoobie »

metatron wrote:I'd avoid anything French, their just unreliable. Nearly everyone I know who has had one has had to replace gearboxes and engines.
Interesting. I've had 5 French cars and had no problems with any of them..(Peugeot 309, Citroen zx, Citroen Saxo, Renault megane and a Peugeot 306). My most problematic car was an Alfa...but that was to be expected ;)
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
moocher

Re: A Good First Car?

Post by moocher »

scoobie wrote:
metatron wrote:I'd avoid anything French, their just unreliable. Nearly everyone I know who has had one has had to replace gearboxes and engines.
Interesting. I've had 5 French cars and had no problems with any of them..(Peugeot 309, Citroen zx, Citroen Saxo, Renault megane and a Peugeot 306). My most problematic car was an Alfa...but that was to be expected ;)
1400 zx is good little car.
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

I would go for something that is popular and common this should mean repairs and parts are easy to come by.Small= Corsa,Fiesta. Medium = Astra,Focus Large = Mondeo,Vectra.

Just suggestions all of the above can be maintained DIY or any garage can repair/maintain.

If you are not car savvy take along someone who is I used to be a MOT tester and have seen some good looking cars that were death traps.

Good luck hope this helps.
Triple_sod

Post by Triple_sod »

Thanks for all the suggestions :D

Got my second lesson today, so be a while yet til I'm buying..
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

I'd avoid the corsa, main reason is they are the car of choice for many young drivers and subsequently get a tad abused, same goes for the saxo. Unless of course you know the history of the car..

Good luck with your lessons :)
Vespa

Post by Vespa »

scoobie wrote:
I agree with you on the reliability of French cars. I once had a 405 that I managed to put 250k miles on in 12 years. I had very little trouble with it until 220k miles when things started to just wear out.
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

The 405's were built like tanks.. I knew someone with a very similar experience of it!
Dr_zoidberg

Post by Dr_zoidberg »

Just don't by a FIAT. The saying goes that FIAT stands for Fix It Again Tomorrow. Fiat is kind of like British Leyland. Only British Leyland got put out its misery in the 1970's. Fiat is still going! I had a Punto for my first car and it was dreadful. Had to scrap it after a year. :evil:

Don't get a Ford with a diesel engine. They're trouble. :x

I'd go for a Honda, Nissan, Hyundai or a Toyota. Something with a smallish petrol engine that will last you until you're 25 and your insurance drops.
triffid

Post by triffid »

Not telling you how to live your life....... but could I offer you a contrarian view to car ownership?

I think to learn to drive is a great skill and one you should aquire. Indeed in our modern society car ownnership is seemingly 'esssential' unless you live in a big town with public transport and/or you don't need to travel.
Oldies like myself learned when roads were quieter and insurance/petrol a LOT cheaper. But: as a youngster (I presume), I warn you the costs of owning a car are huge. Once you own one, for the first few years - at least until you are over 25 - you will be a slave to your car. And once you a car it's pretty difficult to give up (make it sound like an drug addiction don't I! :lol: ).
I used to live in the Lake District. There was a young girl (19) I worked with whose life revolved around her car. She had a car loan £150/month, car insurance £150 /month, she comuted from Carlisle to Keswick 60mile r/t (you guesed it) £150 per month in fuel. Now I would make a very conservative guess and say that she should budget (at least) £100 month for tyres/servicing/AA membership etc. Now that lot adds up to £550 per month (and excludes depreciation). Thats a lot of money. £6600 per annum! To depress you even more (slightly incorrectly because obviously she could offset the tax against her personal allowance) she was having to earn £9565 (less tax & NI) to pay for the costs of running a car! Strange thing was other than driving to work she made no use of it (boyfriend had a fully funded, inlc. petrol, company van). And I would of thought the wages she would have received in a city (Carlsisle), logically, would have exceeded those in a small country town (Keswick)?

Point I'm trying to make is that once you have learned to drive, which as I say is a great skill, if you delayed purchasing a car for a few years and had the discipline to save the money you would otherwise have spent you might be able to aquire a car outright, whilst still benefiting from (hopefully) having aquired a few years driving experience (In insurance terms although you wouldn't be earning NCB you would have a hopefully unblemished driving licence with say 3 of 4 years driving 'experience').
Think of it this way by not buying you could save (example above) £150 month car loan plus £150 month insurance ie £300 per month or £3600 per year. (obviously you will be having to pay for public transport and say occasional hire of a car) after 3 years, with interest, you'd have more than £11,000.
£11000. Buys quite a nice car or possibly be the deposit on a house? (Bet I sound like your Mum & Dad!)
Just a thought.
maddriver

Post by maddriver »

One small quibble with the above post: Many car hire places have a minimum age to hire, often 21 or 25, so the option of hiring a car may not be there for the OP.

To answer the original question. Look for something reliable and cheap. It doesn't have to be new and shiny. My first car was a 13 year old Austin Metro. 1litre and 4 gears, but it was cheap, it got me around and gave me independence. But do give though to how you'll be using it.

For myself, after 14-15 years of car ownership I took mine off the road when I saw my Road Tax bill & Insurance bill this year. Didn't help that they fell within a month of each other. I decided it was all a big rip off and actually I didn't need a car.

99.9% of the time I'm alone in the car, which makes it a bit pointless having 3 empty seats, not to mention the weight of the chassis that is required to lug them all around. I live 30 minutes walk away from work, so that's a no brainer (except when it rains), also means all the times I used to drive to work the engine barely got warm, not a good idea. I am looking to get a motorbike which is significantly cheaper to run for rainy mornings and for longer trips.

So far only 2 flies in the ointment:

I used to have a "just in case" box in the boot (since long before I heard the term EDC or GHB) phone chargers water jumpers, stuff I might need at work. Since I started walking I've tried to transfer this to a rucksack, which has led to me being called Sherpa Tensing on occasion. Haven't found a happy balance yet.

I arrive at work a bit minging, especially as I'm not that fit. Atm the showers at work are off limits due to power restrictions, but hopefully in the future I'll be able to use them. For the moment I make do with baby wipes and a towell followed by deodorant.