Hama Nano, Software defined radio on the cheap

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Okay so I thought I should throw up a quick review of the Hama Nano usb TV tuner which is one of the supported devices that will work as a software defined radio. Its a nice cheap way of taking a high end radio with you if you have a netbook.

Positives:
Its small
mcx connector
easy to set up
Works well with HDSDR
64 to 1700MHz

Negatives:
Bit more expensive then other supported devices
Gets very hot.
Lot of cool stuff below 64MHz

The process of getting it to work is fairly simple, install HDSDR, plug in the adaptor and install the software from http://wiki.spench.net/wiki/USRP_Interfaces, remembering to install it into the same directory as HDSDR, then open HDSDR and set it up so it uses RTL and a rate of 1 to 3.2 (1 works best)

For £14 plus £1.28 (ebay) for the MCX to BNC adaptor its worth the money.
scoobie

Re: Hama Nano, Software defined radio on the cheap

Post by scoobie »

Cool! I've just ordered a Newsky TV28T which goes a bit lower in the frequency range I believe. I want to hook up a transverter with it, so I can use it on the HF bands. Just need to find a suitable pre-built one or a circuit to build one myself!

I bought a kit to build a multi band HF SDR a while back, but not got around to buying any of the SMD tools needed to build it yet, so it sits unbuilt on my shelf for now..
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
metatron

Post by metatron »

scoobie wrote:Cool! I've just ordered a Newsky TV28T which goes a bit lower in the frequency range I believe. I want to hook up a transverter with it, so I can use it on the HF bands. Just need to find a suitable pre-built one or a circuit to build one myself!

I bought a kit to build a multi band HF SDR a while back, but not got around to buying any of the SMD tools needed to build it yet, so it sits unbuilt on my shelf for now..
There are a lot of good SDR HF kits out there but most are not that easy to put together. I'm always surprised there are so few affordable ready made devices for HF as the kits would not be hard to put together with a placement machine and some flow soldering in China.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I think it is just low demand, the Chinese need tens of thousands to make it economical and cover the tooling costs. I am happy with my Alinco HF and, whilst SDR is intriguing, I don't really want to bother until it really 'comes of age'.

I feel the same about D-Star, a solution looking for a problem. Having said that the Trisquare radios look to be fun. It is a pity we can't have them over here.
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

Ham radio is or was always about experimentation and pushing the limits of what we can do (think VHF EME QSO's!)

I'm all for SDRs and the progression of technology. I still love simple old rigs too :)
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

scoobie wrote:Cool! I've just ordered a Newsky TV28T which goes a bit lower in the frequency range I believe. I want to hook up a transverter with it, so I can use it on the HF bands. Just need to find a suitable pre-built one or a circuit to build one myself!

You might want to have a look at this link for an upconverter for the SDR dongle - seems good value?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.