Bread Question

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Bladerunner

Bread Question

Post by Bladerunner »

Does anyone know if bread mixes that you buy from the supermarket can be vacuum sealed for long term storage.

What I am asking is would the yeast go off. Would vacuum sealing stop the yeast from going off?
If the yeast did go off, could you still use the mix and eat it if it didn't rise.

The reason I aks is I couldn't live without bread. I could live without chocolate (just), cheese, coffee, etc. but bread is the staff of life.

Any help would be appreciated.
be lucky (and rise to the occasion)
metatron

Re: Bread Question

Post by metatron »

I'm not sure, but it would be a safer bet to store grain and make sourdough. If a time comes when you need to make bread and don't have yeast, a sourdough starter can be made over a week, wild yeast has never been an issue for me. If you feed your starter and pass it on to family there is no reason why it can not last thousands of years
C4tch

Post by C4tch »

metatron wrote:I'm not sure, but it would be a safer bet to store grain and make sourdough. If a time comes when you need to make bread and don't have yeast, a sourdough starter can be made over a week, wild yeast has never been an issue for me. If you feed your starter and pass it on to family there is no reason why it can not last thousands of years
Yeah I agree. That's the way to go. No need to worry about yeast then. Also, you can make flat bread without yeast. Pita bread and the like. Not as nice I suppose, although I like flat bread allot, but it's better than no bread!

C
Get some exercise, ride a bicyclist!
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Not sure about breadmix but flour and yeast dont keep too long, the bread doesnt taste nice if the flour/yeast is old.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Learn to make flatbread .Most of the world eats this.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions but I can get quite a few bags of the bread mix really cheap as a one off deal so I could really do with knowing about this.

Alternatively, could I add some new yeast when I come to use it or is that not possible with a mix. How long does flour last if it has been vacuum sealed?

Thanks for all the advice.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

You could try keeping it in the freezer, or you could use it up inside 12 months ? Not sure what would happen if you added new yeast, it would work but only if you got the amount spot on.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

If you had a bread mix that was 10 years old and tried to bake it, it would obviously not rise but would the resulting brick be edible in any way?

Assuming it had been kept in a vaccum and hadn't gone off prior to the baking.

I baked one that was about 2 years out of date and it raised a little but not much. It was edible but very dense.

So does anyone know how a ten year out of date mix would fare? And would you eat one?

Be lucky (and inquisitive)
Ian

Post by Ian »

We store and use 'Rivercote' bread mixes from Lidl to make bread in our bread-maker.

Storage is in vacuumed barrier bags with an oxygen absorber. the oldest used has been stored for over three years and certainly produced a loaf a little firmer than normal but perfectly acceptable. Less than two years after the best before date is fine.

The Rivercote brand is nice, lots of variety available, consistent quality and a good price.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Hi Ian,
thanks for that. I have managed to get a few and will look to vacuum seal them. If they don't rise then I just get very stodgey bread which is fine by me.

Be lucky