Carton Water

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
gloomsday

Carton Water

Post by gloomsday »

Does anyone know anything about carton water, and where to get it?
I'd much prefer to store carton water, as it eliminates all the issues with plastic chemical seepage/carcinogens etc, and it is also easier to store and stack.
Aquapax seems to be UK/EU based, but I can't seem to find any; and it is currently out of stock on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquapax-Still-N ... 059&sr=1-6

Also Earth Water do a boxed water: http://www.springwatershop.com/earth-water-nl-en.html
but the shipping costs are much more than the product itself!

UK alternatives? Preferably something I can pick up in person to save on costs.
Ian

Carton Water

Post by Ian »

Perhaps not what you want but I find Ribena cartons a useful store. It has high sugar of course but that is an advantage in some circumstances.

The sugar also depresses the freezing point which makes it a reliable in car store during the winter.
gloomsday

Re: Carton Water

Post by gloomsday »

Exactly! Not what I was looking for but something to think about none-the-less.
The-Great-Nothing

Carton Water

Post by The-Great-Nothing »

Hi

Not sure if this is the best place to put this question (if I am hijacking - please delete)

I understand leaching of chemicals into drinking water isn't the best! But how much of a danger does it pose to preppers? What happens if we drink lots of this kinda water? Is there a filtration system that can clean it up?

Cheers

Matt
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

gloomsday wrote:Does anyone know anything about carton water, and where to get it?
I'd much prefer to store carton water, as it eliminates all the issues with plastic chemical seepage/carcinogens etc, and it is also easier to store and stack.
Aquapax seems to be UK/EU based, but I can't seem to find any; and it is currently out of stock on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquapax-Still-N ... 059&sr=1-6

Also Earth Water do a boxed water: http://www.springwatershop.com/earth-water-nl-en.html
but the shipping costs are much more than the product itself!

UK alternatives? Preferably something I can pick up in person to save on costs.
At £1.87 a litre I'll use tap water in black plastic military grade water jerrycans, I get my water for £0.0001 a litre (that's 10ltrs for 1 pence) that way :mrgreen: and the jerry cans being rectangular and holding 20ltrs they stack quite well.

Just keep in a cool dark place and rotate the water out into the IBC for the garden every 6 months and there should be no problems with leeching :D

I was lucky and picked up 15 for £30 from an old surplus store, just needed to be bleached clean.
Attachments
1207251-WATER-JERRY-CAN-20-LTR.jpg
1207251-WATER-JERRY-CAN-20-LTR.jpg (41.38 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

I used to work with plastics and any bottle that is designed to hold water will be made out of "food safe" polymer, there may be issues with leeching of certain chemicals but it is not as big a problem as it is sometimes made out to be.

I store my water in the bottles they came in and Camping water containers filled with tap water, and as gnole said, tap water is that cheap that you can empty and refill them (or rotate them)regularly if you are worried.

Even if you find water in cartons the cardboard will still have been chemically treated (and probably have a polymer based liner) to make it waterproof
gloomsday

Post by gloomsday »

Jerrycan it is!
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Carrot Cruncher wrote:
I store my water in the bottles they came in and Camping water containers filled with tap water, and as gnole said, tap water is that cheap that you can empty and refill them (or rotate them)regularly if you are worried.
I go camping a lot and have some fold-flat-for-storage plastic camping water containers. They do make the water have an odd after taste though. I don't mean a mildewy taste but an odd plastic ish taste. maybe its time I changed my camping water containers? (sorry if I have taken this thread off tanget!) Does anyone else notice this?
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)