Bread after the end of the World

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Bladerunner

Bread after the end of the World

Post by Bladerunner »

OK, so maybe not the end of the world, just end of the world as we know it.

Assuming all you have access to is flour, salt, milk powder, and anything else that has a reasonably long shelf life (but not yeast or baking powder), can you make any type of bread? i.e. flat bread, naan, tortillas, etc.

How long would bread mix that has been vacuum sealed last before it refuses to rise?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Be lucky (and doughn't panic)
Brambles

Re: Bread after the end of the World

Post by Brambles »

There's Chappati's, Pancakes, Scotch pancakes, oatcakes and of course Sourdough. There's bound to be loads more I've not mentioned too.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Sourdough recipe seen on The Fabulous Baker Brothers:

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/t ... ead-recipe

Here's the episode:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the- ... od#3279857
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

I had a look at the sourdough recipe/instructions. Did I read it right? Just adding water a flour in a sealable jar will capture airborne yeast particles?

If that is true then I am a lot more knowledgeable today than I was yesterday. Thanks

Be lucky (and impressed)
jean405

Post by jean405 »

Bladerunner wrote:I had a look at the sourdough recipe/instructions. Did I read it right? Just adding water a flour in a sealable jar will capture airborne yeast particles?

If that is true then I am a lot more knowledgeable today than I was yesterday. Thanks

Be lucky (and impressed)
Yes, you keep a little bit of the mix and use it for the next batch of dough you make. It gets better and better over time. My MIL used to bake sourdough bread for the whole family when she retired, and had the yeast going for ages.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Sourdough bread will run forever. But I prefer Scots oatcakes, made from oatmeal and salt, and cooked on the fire, no oven.
maxilaura

Post by maxilaura »

I've also been thinking of the likes of this thread, but not only bread, but also fresh milk and yoghurt, the two things that are most consumed in my house.
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

Dampers ala Ray Mears!
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Well milk is easy lol there is actually a way to get it without going to Tescos :mrgreen: involves a goat or a coo :mrgreen: I'm being evil, lol - but I dono about yoghurt , does anybody know if way back in time there was a fermented milk type food that would taste good?
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Flour and water damper or twists around a stick made from flour and water dough.

OR keep bicarbonate of soda and Cream of Tartar SEPARATE in storage and recombine them when you need a baking power at a ratio of 1 Bicarb 2 Cream of Tartar. and if you are making up a baking powder of normal strength, make 1/2 cream of tartar 1/4 bicarb 1/4 rice flour (or any flour really)
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks