closed circuit food production

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
TomW

Re: closed circuit food production

Post by TomW »

to see the system in action watch the doomsday documentary that was on. first family are running that system :) There's a thread bout the docu on here somewhere with the youtube link. Its a brilliant system with the only loss of nutrients the human waste generated, compost and use it as fertilizer and its prettymuch a closed system ;)
skippy

Post by skippy »

Oh cool I had missed that part of the programme when it was on .... They use talapia which is a tropical fish but carp works as well although more slow growing ... thanks for pointing that out tom
Here is the you tube link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUM0TOkNALg

skippy
Rosesandtea

Post by Rosesandtea »

That doomsday prepper stuff is basically the stuff that is on the video(s) I shared. They are worth a look, really. The three parter goes into it in more detail. You don't have to dig ponds, you can use troughs or tanks.
KalPrep

Post by KalPrep »

I was pretty impressed by the Americans version, great re-use of something mundane for a great prep purpose. Their only problem was security, as soon as people got wind they would be easily over run.

I would love to do something similar but jut don't have the space. I have seen a version on instructables which only took up the space of a small dining table but I don't know how successful it was.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Not sure what I'm talking about here - but is this not the principle behind aquaponics? And then from that you also get hydroponics?
skippy

Post by skippy »

diamond lil wrote:is this not the principle behind aquaponics? And then from that you also get hydroponics?
yes and no Lil... . Hydroponics will only provide vegetables. Aquaponics provide fish and vegatables whereas this system provides meat, fish, grain, eggs, veg, fertilizer and seed.. its just a development but its the closed loop of the system that is most valuable in developing countries and of course in TEOTWAWKI.
Huntsman

Post by Huntsman »

I remember in the american program doomsday prepper ( watch it on youtube) a family converted there swimming pool so that the deep end housed 1000 fish, with a chicken coop above it, the "droppings" feed the fish and algee. They then used this algee to make a hydroponics system, so they had fish, chicken and vegatables in a self sustaining pool
Huntsman

Post by Huntsman »

Heres their blog which explains how they did it gardenpool.org