Solar power for a shed

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
diamond lil

Solar power for a shed

Post by diamond lil »

OH wants to try solar power for the shed, to run lights and a powerpoint used for the lawnmower. He asking what he needs and how much would it cost - if anybody can help? Ta ! Might keep him busy and out of my face for a bit :mrgreen:
nickdutch

Re: Solar power for a shed

Post by nickdutch »

That depends primarily on how much power you need.

Watts X hours used.

Also take into account the quantity of light available during the summer as opposed tot he winter and work out which times of days and year you want to use the shed.

Battery storage is expensive, so direct power is better, but that can be difficult to design and implement. Changing which panels are connected depending on the power and voltage needed etc.

With battery storage you need more Volts than the battery itself.

if the battery is 6Volts, then a 12 volt panel is ok, but a 12 volt panel cant charge a 12 volt battery. Be better to use a 24 V panel.

Don't forget to use blocking diodes for arrays of more than one panel otherwise the power from one panel will burn the other one clean out or at best just waste power. Also the blocking diodes stop the battery from burning the panels out too.

I have been using broken cells that one can get off ebay. You also need solder, a flux pen (which IMHO is not essential, but if it helps make the job easier then it makes the job easier, and soldering solar is a pain in the arse job anyway) and tabbing wire which is a kind of flat wire.

You also got to work out how to house the cells too. I chose the expensive but durable way with sheets of clear acrylic plastic and plywood board to back the panel. Plenty of silicone sealant (of an appropriate outdoors type) can be use to glue the cells to the backing board as well as waterproof the assembly. You can get silicone encapsulant, but i haven't studied how to us that.

Oh, yea, and lots of wire.

How much does it cost? How long is a piece of string!!
What do you want to try and create is a better question. It aint cheap but for people with good cash flow but sh@t money, making your own is cheaper than buying a system.

If you need info, let me know and maybe I can help over a skype call?

Nick
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

the-gnole wrote:

That's absolutely fascinating. Have you got the book and does the techniques that they tell you about work in British building culture rather then just American culture and what is their definition of "free"?
It does vary from author to author.
reperio a solutio
TeeDee

Post by TeeDee »

Nick , have a look here.

http://www.ush2.com/
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

I have the book ;)

He basically gets the ones from written off trailers that roadwork contractors use, often seen on the side of motorways in the UK.

Just buy yourself the book, it's a good read, Well worth the few pounds as you get the extra's :mrgreen:
TeeDee

Post by TeeDee »

the-gnole wrote:I have the book ;)

He basically gets the ones from written off trailers that roadwork contractors use, often seen on the side of motorways in the UK.

Just buy yourself the book, it's a good read, Well worth the few pounds as you get the extra's :mrgreen:
Is that the only book you have of his ?? He has a 3 combo deal on at the moment and I'm wondering if anything else is any good.
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

TeeDee wrote:

Is that the only book you have of his ?? He has a 3 combo deal on at the moment and I'm wondering if anything else is any good.
I got it about 4 or 5 years ago. its about 44Mb.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Once the Christmas season is over, I will :)
Big Thank you :)

Mwah !!

LOL
reperio a solutio
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Ahh looks too complicated for us I think. TY Nick. ;)