4x4 on a budget

Logistics and Transport
adder1978

4x4 on a budget

Post by adder1978 »

Hi gang,

New to the site and would like a few opinions.In a couple of months im going to be buying a used 4x4 and need it to do school runs for 2 kids and would like it to be a capable BOV.Small 4x4's are out of the question for me as i would like plenty of carrying capability.I have a budget of around £12000 so would be great to hear your ideas on the matter.
Northern Raider

Re: 4x4 on a budget

Post by Northern Raider »

adder1978 wrote:Hi gang,

New to the site and would like a few opinions.In a couple of months im going to be buying a used 4x4 and need it to do school runs for 2 kids and would like it to be a capable BOV.Small 4x4's are out of the question for me as i would like plenty of carrying capability.I have a budget of around £12000 so would be great to hear your ideas on the matter.
£12 K is a huge amount to spend on a decent vehicle, my choice would be to go for what is popular with the farming community in your area cos them cvanny buggers buy nowt that isnt reliable and repairable. Popular vehicles that you could buy are stuff like Nissans Pathfinder, Ford Explorer and of course the wonderful Mitsubishi Warrior. Yes Landies are more capable but not as reliable or comfortable. I would spend £10 K on the vehicle and £2K on a mega service and upgrades if required ( whinch etc). If I was rich I'd be going for a Geland Wagon,or a Warrior I would not buy a Chelsea Tractor. whats those uber reliable Toyota 4x4s that feature on top gear!!!
adder1978

Post by adder1978 »

Northern Raider wrote:
adder1978 wrote:Hi gang,

£12 K is a huge amount to spend on a decent vehicle, my choice would be to go for what is popular with the farming community in your area cos them cvanny buggers buy nowt that isnt reliable and repairable. Popular vehicles that you could buy are stuff like Nissans Pathfinder, Ford Explorer and of course the wonderful Mitsubishi Warrior. Yes Landies are more capable but not as reliable or comfortable. I would spend £10 K on the vehicle and £2K on a mega service and upgrades if required ( whinch etc). If I was rich I'd be going for a Geland Wagon,or a Warrior I would not buy a Chelsea Tractor. whats those uber reliable Toyota 4x4s that feature on top gear!!!
Big fan of the Warrior myself, and do also admire the punishment the Toyota hilux took on top gear.And i wouldnt get a chelsea tractor like heap if my life depended on it lol
Northern Raider

Thats them the Hi-Lux and the Warrior, they are everywhere around here, nearly every farmer has one and most builders, rugged, reliable, reasonable ecomomy, powerful, capable off road and crap loads of accessories available.
Meyou

Post by Meyou »

Hrm, I believe they do a four door Hilux called the Surf, I think its a hilux underneath with a different body.

Also, if you can get a second hand Land Cruiser, those things are unstoppable. They even give Defenders a run for their money off the beaten track.
adder1978

Post by adder1978 »

Meyou wrote:Hrm, I believe they do a four door Hilux called the Surf, I think its a hilux underneath with a different body.

Also, if you can get a second hand Land Cruiser, those things are unstoppable. They even give Defenders a run for their money off the beaten track.
Forgot about the Land Cruisers. the UN use those too because they are quite handy off road and near bulletproof build wise.
Also think Northern's suggestions are bang on the money too as i see my fair share of those 4x4's in my neck of the woods,plus loads of accessories too.Gives me lots to think about as i cant buy all three lol
Meyou

Post by Meyou »

Only thing which has me worried, is the newer models of 4x4's are slowly drifting more towards the soft roader end of the market. Even the mighty Pajero has switched away from the ladder chassis, and now comes with full independant suspension. GREAT for general duties and comfort factor, but a bit limiting I feel if you ever wanted to modify it for extreme off road capability.

But on this point, its purely just my own preference, so buy whats best for your needs, eh heheheheh
adder1978

Post by adder1978 »

Im kind of wanting the best of both worlds as in not keen on token 4x4's.These chelsea tractor types are as much use as trying to do the school run with the kids on me back lol
Northern Raider

adder1978 wrote:Im kind of wanting the best of both worlds as in not keen on token 4x4's.These chelsea tractor types are as much use as trying to do the school run with the kids on me back lol
Make a criteria list or spec list for your BOV, Start with

Diesel engine at least 2.5 litre
Steel road wheels not alloy
large fuel tank
steel bumpers or bull bars
bigpaul

Post by bigpaul »

I'm quite keen on the Suzuki Jimny 4x4 myself, maybe a bit small for some people but they seem quite popular around here, a farming community.