A way round rising fuel costs or a dead duck?

Logistics and Transport
cumbriasurvivalist

A way round rising fuel costs or a dead duck?

Post by cumbriasurvivalist »

Ive recently been lokking at engines for bicycles,a mountain bike to be exact.You can get 50cc or 80cc engine kits for bicycles.You can also get a trailer for the bike.You can get both for around to 200 pound mark all in which seeems ok to me.The advantage over a car is mpg,the advantage over a motor bike is also mpg albeit to a lesser extent BUT off course you can peddle unlike a motor bike.Before anyone mentions mopeds these are difficult to peddle from my exp.You could also use the bike cross country.Now for the important bit does anyone know if these things are any good.I know the trailers are ok as a guy in town has one attached to his push bike.This type of engine/peddle powered mountain bike can be used on a daily basis and would be ideal in a SHTF scenario and as someone mentioned about m25 tail backs in such an event,well you could weave through traffic.As usuall ALL replys greatly appreciated.PS-ould these require tax/mot/insurance???
beefy0978

Re: A way round rising fuel costs or a dead duck?

Post by beefy0978 »

"UK Customers will now have to register the vehicle as a moped if it is to be used on british roads, this involves reg, tax and insurance and a vehicle saftey check by VOSA. It has been done and it can be done but it depends on the quality of the work of the installer and upon satisfying all the criteria set out by VOSA before one can register the finalized vehicle. Please bear this in mind before making a purchase.

Private off road use has no restrictions in terms of legalities and can be used without any of the above for UK."

Post SHTF and WROL great idea. As a cheap run around no good what so ever. It will cost a fortune to get VOSA to agree and even if you succeed try and get it MOT'd or insured! And don't forget you'd need to wear a proper motorcycle helmet (not a mountain bike one). It doesn't matter if you could pedal faster and not wear a helmet. The noise this would make you'd be checked every 100yards. Cheaper to buy a moped and stock up on a little fuel.
cumbriasurvivalist

Thanks for the reply,very helpfull.Sounds a bit too much hassle.Seemed like a good idea at the time.Like you say good if the SHTF and you needed a cheap mode of transportation with limited fuel stocks.
hobo

Post by hobo »

I'm saving up for a decent battery for my bike to ease the wear and tear on my legs!
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

how about an ELECTRIC bicycle? dosent need mot & tax or insurance, and you should be able to sort out some kind of trailer for it.
cumbriasurvivalist

bulldogeagle wrote:how about an ELECTRIC bicycle? dosent need mot & tax or insurance, and you should be able to sort out some kind of trailer for it.
As a rule they dont have much milage per charge or much power but i believe their is a german made one that has a big battery in a trailer that you attach to the bike and these have plenty of mile per charge and plenty of power.No good in TSHTF though and the grid goes down.Also as the propletion system is not part of the bike but in the trailer you can drive on the road with no tax,no mot,no insurance or helmet.I only know what ive read online and have no personal exp so dont take this as gospel.PS-They are pretty expensive,think around £500 pound mark,maybe more.
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

second hand ones are £200 upwards!
hobo

Post by hobo »

cumbriasurvivalist wrote: As a rule they dont have much milage per charge....
Expect 25-50 miles per charge. Look here for reviews of ready-mades http://www.atob.org.uk/electric-bike-reviews.html

Hobo
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

you extend the mileage by pedalling on the flat and the battery helps on the hills, its not supposed to be a "replacement" moped.
jansman

Post by jansman »

As a 250 mile a week cyclist, I have to suggest spending a decent amount( one of the se engine conversions or an electric bike will cost a mint)on a bicycle.Use it,get fit,stay fit.The bicycle is a wonderful piece of kit,panniers and rack,road tyres and a proper trailer,you have the ultimate in reliable low tech transport .Also no worries about fuel costs or availability.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.