LORA ((Meshtastic network))

Yorkshire Andy

LORA ((Meshtastic network))

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Been having a dabble with a couple of these..

Put simply and none technical for lil ;). Modern walkie talkies that you send text messages with ;)

IMG_20240309_224216856_HDR.jpg
You buy the bits individually or as a bundle

I've got two heltec V3 units bottom end of the market but simpler..

Put simply you pair each board to a mobile phone / tablet and using the Meshtastic app it connects to the magic boxes to send text messages far and wide either publicly or privately between each other using a encrypted system bit like WhatsApp but not needing a mobile phone network or WiFi the lora unit sends the message on its own transmitter.. to other lora units in range ..

now this is where it gets clever

If your mate is a bit too far away from you but another user is between you it bounces via their unit extending your range ..

I've some better antennas on order the supplied ones are minute.. I got some longer ones now and I'm making it across town easy at a mile distance between phone and my parents these longer ones I'm hoping for longer range
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Re: LORA ((Meshtastic network))

Post by jansman »

What a good idea! That would be ideal as our eldest and family are over the valley in the next village. In a power cut/ internet cobblers that could do the biz! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

You need a computer to initiate the units to put the UK software on the little board but there is plenty of guides I had a problem getting windows to recognise the usb connection swapped USBC leads for a cheap crappy one it connected immediately :lol:

https://meshtastic.org/docs/getting-started/

Looks a bit like gibberish but

Buy board

Install drivers on pc

https://meshtastic.org/docs/getting-sta ... ers/esp32/

Restart PC

Plug in new PCB to usb

Use the flasher (no sniggering) to update firmware
https://flasher.meshtastic.org/

I've some cases but they are 3d printed not strong or waterproof next upgrade some industrial electrical boxes :lol: and something to mount the bigger antennas on

Currently got a mini springer and a an 12" rigid am getting be a mile happily enough..

One drawback is if the phones not in Bluetooth range when a message land it doesn't display on the phone. But it's on the little oled screen on the unit

If anyone orders in the UK ensure it's the 863MHz 928Mhz unit

And don't plug into any power or pc without the antenna attached or you risk frying the board

Once set up the app gives you this sort of screen
Screenshot_20240321-082302.png
Just random letters or words when testing
korolev

Post by korolev »

Looks interesting. The only downside that I can see is if there are no other units in range to act as repeaters.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

korolev wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:31 am Looks interesting. The only downside that I can see is if there are no other units in range to act as repeaters.
Buy a couple of spares, put them in ziplock bags and place them at intervals along route. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Peter

Post by Peter »

What are the advantages over a pair of Baofeng bf-888 radios ?.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Peter wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:54 pm What are the advantages over a pair of Baofeng bf-888 radios ?.
It's secure / encrypted

You can leave messages so if your outside when you return In doors the message can be read

Much longer range if enough people get on board with it

Licence free and no need to do foundation course

Task this weekend is to get a big antenna put Into the attic and see how far I can get.. worst case it'll be a big repeater for this area for others to bounce off
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine