National grid (electric) look to suspend night time call outs to domestic power cuts

Homes and Retreats
Yorkshire Andy

Re: National grid (electric) look to suspend night time call outs to domestic power cuts

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:12 pm What the dead batteries in the torches 😂 and a couple bottles of water .... I remember reading that..think you had more supplies than the whole of the powergrid 🤣
Have you got the juice back on yet?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GeeGee

Re: National grid (electric) look to suspend night time call outs to domestic power cuts

Post by GeeGee »

Powergrid sent their response team
Found them down the road eating their sarnies in the van just before 9 pm last night .. the sub station is up a snicket which is closed as a house next to snicket is having God knows what built onto it cranes the lot there .... looks like a castle !
I gather the two are connected ...
Asked nicely if they'd like to get out of vans and repair the fuse that had obv blown
They said after 9 itll be on something about their overtime
Sure enough the power came back on just after 9 been off about 6 hours then
Rather disappointed wanted the flat power pack dead torches and water .... coming up to people's birthdays ! Your MIL is inventive 😂
jansman

Post by jansman »

The powercut situation is interesting,for sure. We have two villages nearby where flooding at the end of January flooded ( gas) piping!

Don’t want to take over here with gas ,but its power isn’t it? :D

1500 homes were basically living with wrecked gas,some their boilers ! A couple of dozen are suing Severn Trent,as where many boilers were replaced by them,some are not because of maintenance etc. previously! Legal stuff. They are still having to use emergency equipment as a result.

When the flood started,Severn Trent issued electric heaters,water and also electricity cooking tops for two saucepans. As well as heating,cooking was out for many.

This to me is where our prepping counts ,as the last thing I want is to be in a queue of victims,and particularly my wife later up the line. I find it incredible to be honest that some folks don’t even have a simple torch!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:26 pm I find it incredible to be honest that some folks don’t even have a simple torch!
And even fewer of those torches in homes have serviceable batteries most have probably leaked and destroyed the torch :twisted:

GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Agree totally
Didn't affect us due to everything being charged up and torches with working batteries or full charge to hand
Power cuts / any cuts can happen any time without warning and its surprising how many are totally dependant on the power sources coming into their home .. the unplanned power outage yesterday lasted a few hours ..we could cope a few days as many on the forum would ..but my neighbour when it was out last time when it got dark earlier was in full panic mode after a couple of hours ... she was crying and panicking ... thats only one person ..wouldn't want to meet a load like that if the power does go out for any great length of time
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:10 pm Agree totally
Didn't affect us due to everything being charged up and torches with working batteries or full charge to hand
Power cuts / any cuts can happen any time without warning and its surprising how many are totally dependant on the power sources coming into their home .. the unplanned power outage yesterday lasted a few hours ..we could cope a few days as many on the forum would ..but my neighbour when it was out last time when it got dark earlier was in full panic mode after a couple of hours ... she was crying and panicking ... thats only one person ..wouldn't want to meet a load like that if the power does go out for any great length of time

Town centre was off a few weeks ago and people ranting on face stalk that *best kabab shop* wasn't answering their phone or accepting just eat orders :roll: they were shut owing to no power :lol:

Have you got a solar charger for the jackery? I picked up a generic ecoworthy rigid 120w panel the other week on Amazon for £50! Just need the appropriate lead to connect then

pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:08 pm
Have you got a solar charger for the jackery? I picked up a generic ecoworthy rigid 120w panel the other week on Amazon for £50! Just need the appropriate lead to connect then
Jackery suggests only using proprietary solar panels. but I took the risk on a 2 rigid 100w panels and this connector:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connector-Adap ... d_rp_0_9_i

Never reaches the full draw as stated but charges the Jackery up.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:44 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:08 pm
Jackery suggests only using proprietary solar panels. but I took the risk on a 2 rigid 100w panels and this connector:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connector-Adap ... d_rp_0_9_i

Never reaches the full draw as stated but charges the Jackery up.
They all do ecoflow is the same on my ecoflow they confirmed as long as the voltage doesn't exceed the units maximum it's game on :mrgreen: might have had an accident today abd ordered a ecoflow delta max 1600 oops factory reconditioned £575 ish with my membership discount having already got the river 2 and found a 5% off voucher ... .. seen it a bit cheaper on eBay but least direct from them it comes with a 24 month warranty .. not the biggest but has a decent output 2kw and 4kw peak be handy down tye allotment to power the shreadder for one

Now need to order some xt60i plugs to make a solar lead up the river uses a xt60

GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Have had 2 x solar panels on shed roof for a few years now 100w wired to a caravan battery and wired to that a invertor never had a problem with the cobbled together stuff as I dont understand it too well but its been running great for years
Charged Jackery fast today
Never known if its better to have two leisure batteries one each for each solar panel or two solar panels going into one battery
Whatever is best.. the system we've got has been working so far ....
I like the accidental ordering Yorkshire Andy...I have a few of those moments too 😳 and the accidental purchace in aldi the other day of the knock off expensive shark vacuum rechargeable..so I even got to hoover up in the power cut ..maybe has its downfalls then 😂
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:17 pm Have had 2 x solar panels on shed roof for a few years now 100w wired to a caravan battery and wired to that a invertor never had a problem with the cobbled together stuff as I dont understand it too well but its been running great for years
Charged Jackery fast today
Never known if its better to have two leisure batteries one each for each solar panel or two solar panels going into one battery
Whatever is best.. the system we've got has been working so far ....
I like the accidental ordering Yorkshire Andy...I have a few of those moments too 😳 and the accidental purchace in aldi the other day of the knock off expensive shark vacuum rechargeable..so I even got to hoover up in the power cut ..maybe has its downfalls then 😂
That's got the geek in me going 100w of panels and 2 batteries add one of these...

https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/cat ... 6QQAvD_BwE

Then you can have the 100 w of panels charging both batteries .. ;) my backup system has thay controller set to 50'50 split and it's left to it's own devices..

I've been after a bigger unit for a while and gave been watching the prices for a while they usually spike up when the camping season kicks in ... Same unit here https://www.hampshiregenerators.co.uk/p ... r-station/
So a good saving

Next you'll be charging the hoover off solar saving a few quid a year :lol: imagine the neighbours oh look the nutty lady next door is off to hover her shed again :lol: :lol: