National grid (electric) look to suspend night time call outs to domestic power cuts

Homes and Retreats
GeeGee

Re: National grid (electric) look to suspend night time call outs to domestic power cuts

Post by GeeGee »

I hoover the artificial grass Yorkshire Andy
So you're not so far off there 😂
Yorkshire Andy

Re: National grid (electric) look to suspend night time call outs to domestic power cuts

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:52 pm I hoover the artificial grass Yorkshire Andy
So you're not so far off there 😂
I can beat that....

I've had the Vax carpet washer on mine :lol: :tinfoil
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

I’m currently sunning myself on the Gold Coast of Australia and I was speaking to a sparky the other day.

Last year they had a cyclone/tornado hit the coast and then massive flooding inland which cut people off for ages. As parts are on hills with houses on basically stilts, some water tanks further up the hill came loose and flattened a few houses as they rolled down the hill. It took ages to restore power as well.

I certainly wouldn’t want to be trying to restore electricity in a semi tropical rainforest with poisonous snakes as well!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Kiwififer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:55 pm I’m currently sunning myself on the Gold Coast of Australia and I was speaking to a sparky the other day.

Last year they had a cyclone/tornado hit the coast and then massive flooding inland which cut people off for ages. As parts are on hills with houses on basically stilts, some water tanks further up the hill came loose and flattened a few houses as they rolled down the hill. It took ages to restore power as well.

I certainly wouldn’t want to be trying to restore electricity in a semi tropical rainforest with poisonous snakes as well!
Oh they had it rough my mum's cousin is a lecturer at the uni on the gold coast fortunately they live on top of a hill but had no power for a couple of weeks

jansman

Post by jansman »

I am pleased to say that now we are all electric here, we are covered for emergency power cuts. As I’ve said a lot of this already- my illness makes my memory very poor unfortunately - we are covered now, but I will repeat :D My dear wife has purchased more of the USB charged strip lights as back up. We have very good LED standard wired lighting,but my eyesight now finds it very harsh. The USB is gentle and effective,and much is charged in my workshop via solar now we have daylight! It is lighting for zero fuel cost now! Every penny helps. ;)
As I write this I am sitting in our front room that overlooks the valley and the sun rises. The temperature is 16 c,so not bad with zero heating! This power cut issue WILL be a problem in the future for sure,and I am making sure that we are covered. And clothing is part of that too. My neighbour,a lovely chap,complains of his heating bills but wears shorts and t shirts year round :lol: :lol: Many are like that now,but when I was a teenager we had one open fire and a little electric heater. That was it.

So now we have everything sorted at our home to deal with the problems that will arise as society changes. Without being political,the UK is changing. It’s not about “Climate Control” it’s about the fact the North Sea oil and gas is about gone, and we import it now,not export. Even with solid fuel the coals we get are imported. And the entire UK cannot burn just wood - there ain’t enough! Long and short,mankind is stripping the world of resources, so in the future we will have issues.
It’s something of an irony I feel , that we are all donating comments here on posh ,technical equipment,but we are looking potentially at a society that could drift back 50+ years to the 1970’s - half a century- where food and power took at least half of wages! Like many here ,I was there! Ultimately we will have to pay for what we import.

No disrespect,but there’s a lot of whining,particularly from young people,that prices should be cheaper. Those of us born a long time ago have seen each decade where prices were higher. We’ve had a generation from 2000 where President Bush the first announced that the world was in open trade,and it was. A pound shop was a pound shop! But not now.

Gotta get used to it in the first world.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am I am pleased to say that now we are all electric here, we are covered for emergency power cuts. As I’ve said a lot of this already- my illness makes my memory very poor unfortunately - we are covered now, but I will repeat :D My dear wife has purchased more of the USB charged strip lights as back up. We have very good LED standard wired lighting,but my eyesight now finds it very harsh. The USB is gentle and effective,and much is charged in my workshop via solar now we have daylight! It is lighting for zero fuel cost now! Every penny helps. ;)
As I write this I am sitting in our front room that overlooks the valley and the sun rises. The temperature is 16 c,so not bad with zero heating! This power cut issue WILL be a problem in the future for sure,and I am making sure that we are covered. And clothing is part of that too. My neighbour,a lovely chap,complains of his heating bills but wears shorts and t shirts year round :lol: :lol: Many are like that now,but when I was a teenager we had one open fire and a little electric heater. That was it.

So now we have everything sorted at our home to deal with the problems that will arise as society changes. Without being political,the UK is changing. It’s not about “Climate Control” it’s about the fact the North Sea oil and gas is about gone, and we import it now,not export. Even with solid fuel the coals we get are imported. And the entire UK cannot burn just wood - there ain’t enough! Long and short,mankind is stripping the world of resources, so in the future we will have issues.
It’s something of an irony I feel , that we are all donating comments here on posh ,technical equipment,but we are looking potentially at a society that could drift back 50+ years to the 1970’s - half a century- where food and power took at least half of wages! Like many here ,I was there! Ultimately we will have to pay for what we import.

No disrespect,but there’s a lot of whining,particularly from young people,that prices should be cheaper. Those of us born a long time ago have seen each decade where prices were higher. We’ve had a generation from 2000 where President Bush the first announced that the world was in open trade,and it was. A pound shop was a pound shop! But not now.

Gotta get used to it in the first world.

Do you feel better now getting that off your chest :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Was talking to lil last night and that's the path I think we are heading to rapidly....

Along with shtf some preps like "sustainable" lighting save money ...

l70ish percent of my house is lit with this from this time of year till autumn , it doesn't save an awful lot but it all adds up ovet a year or two.

The garden is fully solar lit from the comfort lighting via the big solar "street lights". giving area lighting then solar floodlights that cut in should someone come in the garden ...

Then In winter the house lighting falls into standby lighting use ready for power cuts As let's face it most of the solar lighting systems on the market are made for sunnier countries not rainy grey blighty just a shame most are matched to the small panels and don't have a usb input for charging :lol:

People say they are expensive but I'm still on the Philips life lights in 2 rooms and the kids shed :lol:

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Yep agree totally. We're going backwards going forward :mrgreen: Hell, I read books about the wild west and the outback in Australia and people were so skilful at making do and coping. I think the younger ones might have lost those skills but a freezing cold winter or hot dry summer will soon sort that.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm Yep agree totally. We're going backwards going forward :mrgreen: Hell, I read books about the wild west and the outback in Australia and people were so skilful at making do and coping. I think the younger ones might have lost those skills but a freezing cold winter or hot dry summer will soon sort that.
We’ve seen the 70s lil,and me and Jan see us going back. It’s been a time since then where folks have gotten *soft* ,and newborn know no different,but being hard up,tough and creative will become the way. I reckon.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.