Power bank preps

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Yorkshire Andy

Power bank preps

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Ok so this might be overlooked by many unless your a moderators pet :lol:

So you've got yourself a power bank of some kind size / brand is your call :lol:

I got these monsters a few years ago In Aldi I'm fairly confident if I dropped them on my toes I'd wind up needing an X-ray they are heavy solid beasts ..

Ok so where's the dilluded moderator going with this ramble

Your forced to grab a power bank to bug out.. ok it might not be the end of the world but say the other half Is going by ambulance 20 miles to the nearest a&e and needs to keep her / his phone alive to while away the hours or call you to be picked up..... Now the whole power bank thing is great power to take with you but you send them off with that realisation of "have they got a lead to fit their phone :shock: "

So I've had this for ages now each power bank has its own kit with it consisting of a mains charger (more on that in a minute) a 12v car charger and a selection of leads ..

In my case a usb to micro, usb to usb C, usb to mini and a usb c to usb c we don't have an i phone so no need for a lightning cable .....
IMG_20240120_162131504_MFNR.jpg

All contained within a little draw string bag that some spectacles came in

Nothing high-tech tech I went with the small usb chargers for compactness but thinking more some of the double usb outlet versions both 12v and 240v might be beneficial as if you find a socket chances are you could charge both your phone AND the power bank simultaneously might need to double up on charging leads but mine will take an input from both micro and usb C so no issues here

Also if the power bank doesn't have an inbuilt torch one of these is never a bad shout ..

IMG_20240120_164359575_MFNR.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20240120_162444697_MFNR.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Kiwififer

Re: Power bank preps

Post by Kiwififer »

It is similar to the one I have tucked away in a rucksack in my attic.

Quite heavy for the size but it’s meant to be good and should charge phones etc quite easy, I never saw the point of getting something bigger.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Kiwififer wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:32 pm It is similar to the one I have tucked away in a rucksack in my attic.

Quite heavy for the size but it’s meant to be good and should charge phones etc quite easy, I never saw the point of getting something bigger.
I would say it's hard to loose but it took me a lot of searching yesterday to find it... dumped under a pile of clean clothes that I should have put away weeks ago :lol:

Medusa

Post by Medusa »

We have several, one in my EDC, one in husbands work van and a couple more. We also have one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/ALLPOWERS-Port ... 1b6e3d217f purchased before Jackery and the Ecoflow ones became popular. It has served us well when camping for charging up the phones and laptop for watching films at night and of course is kept charged at home in case of power cuts. I would like another and am considering a Jackery but not at the top of my list at the moment.
Growing old disgracefully!
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I have three powerbanks. Ywo are quite heavy. One of those is solar. Also I have a Juice 3, which is a lot smaller and lighter, but not tiny. I keep them in lipo bags in a metal ex army ammo box with the seal removed, on a solid tiled floor. It is near a door/door frame though. It's in the kitchen, next to my bike, which is my bugout vehicle if I can't use a taxi or public transport, and it's too far to walk.

I have various leads and chargers prepared for bugouts. My bugout bag has an apple charging plug, 2 x USB A to micro, 2 x A to lightning, A to C. On my bedroom door is a small shoulder bag. It contains 4 x AA batteries (spares for my head torch), USB A to micro, A to C, and a lightning adaptor.

I also have a travel bag for short trips away, which has an A to lightning, I would need to take my bedroom charging plug, I've not got round to buying a spare. I was trying to avoid borrowing from my BOB, so I put a couple of collapsible water bottles in it.

Regarding batteries, I also have 12 x AAAs in my BOB plus various coin batteries.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I have these in my EDC which help to keep the cable chaos under control. I took a chance on them based on the reviews. They are now over a year old and still going strong.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... =UTF8&th=1
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:23 am I have these in my EDC which help to keep the cable chaos under control. I took a chance on them based on the reviews. They are now over a year old and still going strong.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... =UTF8&th=1
They look good

deckard

Post by deckard »

Also if your powerbank supports it it's worth having PD capable usb chargers. I've a PD30 usb wall charger that came with a mobile phone, and it's great for rapidly charging powerbanks.

Only 3 of the 5 I have support PD charging at the higher rate, so those are the ones I take out and about, but I use them all frequently; charge them off the solar I'm the shed and rotate them around so I hardly ever charge usb stuff like phones etc off mains.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman

Post by jansman »

I’ve made sure ours are charged. Enough to keep phones charged and iPads too ( for my reading). Our recent power cut meant phones were erratic,but - dare I say- we managed happily without! AAA and AA are all charged ,but we have disposables too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.