What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
Nurseandy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by Nurseandy »

jansman wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:34 pm
Nurseandy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:33 am Weather's finally warming up, hopefully no more frosts, so starting to plant the veg garden this week.
We have a very good chance of frost tomorrow night here in the midlands. Everything fleeced in the greenhouse!
Too wet & windy for a frost here although we have had a decent fall of snow previously at this time of year 😞
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Weather very up and down. Could be 0 tomorrow morning. Was 18 the other day, and sunny. Seasonal average is 13-14/6. Forecast for most days is about that. Had to put the heating back on, but then having to turn it down sometimes. Being able to see the temperature in lodger's room on my phone is very useful. I have the IHD in my room now, so I can keep track in real time, more or less (gas is updated every half hour). I know how much I should be using each day, based on average use for a given average temperature for the day, and average use for showers and hot water in the summer.

Energy prices came down 12% at the start of April and get revised every 3 months. But I am looking at a 42% increase in September when my fix ends. So Standard Variable has gone up more than that since Sept 2021. Hopefully it will come down again in June. MSE strong prediction down 8% June but weak prediction up 5% October. Should I fix? Only if fix is at least 3% cheaper than SV. He also has a should you fix calculator. He also lists different companies typical rates vs price cap. But the variation is only -2% to +1%, my company is same as cap. I'm not switching to save £25.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Today I am feeling well enough ( for a while anyway :D) so I have tomatoes to repot in the greenhouse,and fleece ready for a cold 24 hours. Also we have a couple of portions of my spicy beef stew to freeze. I can truly recommend that,meals frozen and ready to go. Brilliant!
Also have a wall mounted ( new) German Infra Red heater to put near my armchair. We have several of these and I can recommend them.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Very cold late Spring, knocking everything back and the lambing here has been a disaster. I'm not sure how best to prep because it looks like foodwise everything that comes from a farm is going to go up.Found a wee corner of ground and am planting kale,spring onions, lettuce and radishes.But there isn't enough room for much, apart from the kale, that'll go on the border outside my back path. Won't look very pretty but I don't see it from the house :mrgreen: - next door can look and moan :twisted:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

My tomatoes are doing well this year loads of plants have germinated and are now around three to six inches tall. They're in the green house and on the south facing windows of the house. Some will soon be going over to my father in law's. Peppers are growing well too in the house , cabbages nd lettuce germinated and potatoes starting to show. On the other hand the peas again started in the house have been a complete failure. Still early though I suppose...
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

8Kw of back up power. :mrgreen:

Still trying to find a solar installer for my type of roof :roll:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

pseudonym wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:29 am Image

8Kw of back up power. :mrgreen:

Still trying to find a solar installer for my type of roof :roll:
Nice!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Knackered wisdom tooth is out :mrgreen: only been on ze waiting list since October my own dentist couldn't numb it... This surgeon had no issues in and out in 15 minutes :D

Soft food for a few days but the constant pain has gone just a dull ache

Just done some light exercise and gone and lit the greenhouse heater on the allotment
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Having broken many a bone, nothing compares to a bad toothache, glad you finally got treatment.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

pseudonym wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:30 pm Having broken many a bone, nothing compares to a bad toothache, glad you finally got treatment.
Cheers, day off work lounging on the sofa going to attempt my first cup of tea since yesterday :mrgreen:

Are you after panels on the house roof what's the difficulty about the roof type?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine