What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:51 am

We don’t miss the solid fuels a bit! My best mate down the village is going the same way too. The both of us have physical problems,and coal and wood is just too much hassle now.
Tell you one thing if the timber trade doesn't pick up soon there will be no "cheap" firewood this coming winter works very quiet timber that does come in is often under size so no off cuts likewise very little wood shavings coming off so animal bedding will be at a premium too
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:36 am
jansman wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:51 am

We don’t miss the solid fuels a bit! My best mate down the village is going the same way too. The both of us have physical problems,and coal and wood is just too much hassle now.
Tell you one thing if the timber trade doesn't pick up soon there will be no "cheap" firewood this coming winter works very quiet timber that does come in is often under size so no off cuts likewise very little wood shavings coming off so animal bedding will be at a premium too
I couldn’t agree more. I’m seeing the price increase rapidly ( I still look!) .
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Bought some seed tatties :mrgreen: Charlotte because I like them.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

I have a ‘what if?’ bag in the attic, I refuse to call it a ‘bug out bag’ for various reasons but it is more or less the same thing. I’m going to bring it down and go through it to make sure everything is working in it. Happy to take advice for the stock.

So spare winter clothes.
First aid kit.
Portable solar generator.
Wind up radio.
Rechargeable torch.
Paracord.
Glow sticks.
Whistles.
Waterproof bag for items such as passports.
Firelighter.
Filtration kit.

There’s probably more stuff which I have forgotten about but I’m wanting mainly to check the first aid kit, torch, radio and solar panel charger (which is actually bulky and heavy for its size).
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Kiwififer wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:54 pm Happy to take advice for the stock.
First aid kit.
Portable solar generator.
Wind up radio.
Rechargeable torch.
Paracord.
Glow sticks.
Whistles.
Waterproof bag for items such as passports.
Firelighter.
Filtration kit.

There’s probably more stuff which I have forgotten about but I’m wanting mainly to check the first aid kit, torch, radio and solar panel charger (which is actually bulky and heavy for its size).
First aid kit check wipes and plasters are still moist / sticky...

Power kit add a compatible mains charger + 12v/24v dual voltage charger + decent power bank with fast charging... a cig lighter to croc clip adapter can come in handy ... Shtf a car / truck / industrial plant machinery all have 12/ 24v battery systems to clip to battery plug in power bank whilst you have a rest ;) doesn't have to be overly funky or bulky
IMG_20240428_221727692_MFNR.jpg
Solar is ok but lately its being almost useless unless you've a 200w panel it's being about as much use as a chocolate Ashtray on a motorbike :lol: put my 100w folding panel out yesterday USBC to usb c lead into my Anker power bank it put about 50% in all day..... Ok it did something but nothing to make you go wow :lol: and it was a fair day ... Noticed busses/ trains have mains sockets/ usb outlets so free power when be traveling better and more secure to charge a power bank

The fast charging Qualcomm or similar let's devices charge quicker than basic usb.. one older Anker bank I have has 2x micro USB ports so I can use 2 charge inputs at once to half the charge time :mrgreen:

Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Cheers Andy.

The power bank is only really for a phone and maybe a couple of other electrical things. I got all this for a bit of camping I was going to do when I had my wee sadly departed pup but never really got round to it, it doubles up very easily.

I might put my tent up as well to give it an airing. I always thought that I would ‘bug in’ at any domestic situation, but I don’t know what has spooked me to go up and check things as it has sat there for ages and I rarely even think of it all. Of course I might just want to do a bit of camping somewhere….
PPrep

Post by PPrep »

Peter wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:41 pm
PPrep wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:28 am
...........BATTERY WITH TVS> MAIN SYSTEM FUSE> INDUCTOR> MOV> CHARGE CONTROLLER WITH MOV> SOLAR PANEL WITH GDS.
A wiring diagram would be most useful please.
I can draw a wiring diagram up and scan it, but I don't know how to post an image such as a jpg or png. Please let me know how to do this.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

PPrep wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:17 pm
PPrep wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:28 am
...........BATTERY WITH TVS> MAIN SYSTEM FUSE> INDUCTOR> MOV> CHARGE CONTROLLER WITH MOV> SOLAR PANEL WITH GDS.
I can draw a wiring diagram up and scan it, but I don't know how to post an image such as a jpg or png. Please let me know how to do this.
To post your image, get it onto your device/pc/laptop.
Start a reply and scroll down to 'attachments tab'. Click that and 'add file'. Having uploaded your file check 'attach inline'
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Pumpkins planted out...

Tomatoes put into big pots

Likewise cucumber plants
This weekend think I'll get the sweetcorn plants out

PPrep

Post by PPrep »

PPrep wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:17 pm

Thank you, i'll keep your instructions.

On reflection, it might be better to send the link below which gives a more pictorial and understandable idea than I can of how to wire the stuff up. It includes house installation to mains material as well, but this part can be ignored if you wish. I can provide details on the surge suppression I've added if you wish. It depends on whether you're used to wiring or not.

https://njsolartech.com/solar-panel-hom ... g-diagram/