What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:42 am
Arzosah wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:24 am I wouldn't fancy using any of it if I didn't have to, but I *can* :) There's also boxes of candles, light enough of them at once and you can warm your hands, even if you don't go the flowerpot route :lol:
Sit in the car assuming you've a full tank ;) phone / tablet charging off the cigarette lighter radio on ;) not that most efficient way to keep warm but if it gets that bad....
You're right :lol: I'm still not used to having a car, and I forgot all about that :lol:
jansman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:18 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:16 am2kw fan heater
2kw oil filled radiator these two back up incase the boiler breaks down ....

Then 2x bio ethanol fireplaces and about 20l of ethanol stockpiled

5kw portable diesel heater and 10l of fuel (red)

Calor gas darlec heater plus 30kg of butane minimum

Buddy heater and a ammo tin of cartridges

Generic bistro stove cartridge heater and a box of cartridges

Kids have electric blankets

And 2 cats ;) was funny last night little man fast asleep with 2 cats at his side enjoying the warm from that electric blanket which was on low as he was cold at bed time apparently... Turned it off once he was asleep

Don't forget the hot water bottles Mrs a got one slung in bed last night she can keep her cold feet to herself :lol:
Is that it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
This post is very Yorkshire Andy, isn't it, jansman :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:18 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:16 am
jansman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:09 am

So regarding heating, do you have an emergency alternative? Solid fuel households need not apply! :lol:
2kw fan heater
2kw oil filled radiator these two back up incase the boiler breaks down ....

Then 2x bio ethanol fireplaces and about 20l of ethanol stockpiled

5kw portable diesel heater and 10l of fuel (red)

Calor gas darlec heater plus 30kg of butane minimum

Buddy heater and a ammo tin of cartridges

Generic bistro stove cartridge heater and a box of cartridges

Kids have electric blankets

And 2 cats ;) was funny last night little man fast asleep with 2 cats at his side enjoying the warm from that electric blanket which was on low as he was cold at bed time apparently... Turned it off once he was asleep

Don't forget the hot water bottles Mrs a got one slung in bed last night she can keep her cold feet to herself :lol:
Is that it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh I forgot the Parabolic heater that screws on top of a gas cartridge ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

I knew you’d missed something off that list Yorkshire Andy! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:03 pm I knew you’d missed something off that list Yorkshire Andy! :lol:
:mrgreen:

Gone for the shotgun approach again no matter what gas/ fuel I can lay my hands on we will have some form of heat

Medusa

Post by Medusa »

We had a load of logs delivered at the weekend, I dont like paying for wood but we can keep the house heated for longer with logs than we could if we just relied on the oil heating and people tend to get greedy and put the prices up when there is a demand such as when the weather gets colder. Also stocked up on fuel cannisters for the pocket rocket 2 which we keep in the car and a couple of cheap head torches for emergency backup. I'm now feeding my Dad several times a week so my freezers are getting somewhat low and need to get them stocked back up. He mostly only eats meat and two veg and wouldnt consider a curry or a chilli and could probably spot a lentil to bulk a meal out a mile off and pasta and rice are a no no. Not moaning tho, just glad that he is eating well.
Growing old disgracefully!
deckard

Post by deckard »

Some pretty decent preparedness in terms of heating here.

All I've got is a couple of camp stoves, a stock of small gas cannisters and everyone has a hot water bottle.

We've a separate gas fire, so if it was only electric it we could use that, and I have run our boiler from a small 700w pure sine inverter, but I'm not to keen on having to do that.

I guess if it was really cold and there was nothing else I'd fire up the generator and plug our electric convection heater in.

I'm thinking of picking up some electric blankets. I'd like to have one pf those indoor portable calor heaters, but would struggle to stroe it at the moment.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

deckard wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:59 pm Some pretty decent preparedness in terms of heating here.

All I've got is a couple of camp stoves, a stock of small gas cannisters and everyone has a hot water bottle.

We've a separate gas fire, so if it was only electric it we could use that, and I have run our boiler from a small 700w pure sine inverter, but I'm not to keen on having to do that.

I guess if it was really cold and there was nothing else I'd fire up the generator and plug our electric convection heater in.

I'm thinking of picking up some electric blankets. I'd like to have one pf those indoor portable calor heaters, but would struggle to stroe it at the moment.

Look I to the boiler wiring most use a feedback for the flame failure requiring negative and CPC to be linked if running off an inverter or genset

GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Been out shopping to top up the preps ..just got the car back the suspension went with a almighty bang scared the absolute daylights out of me ! The torch I bought hubby for Xmas that he laughed at to go with the other 25 or so was brilliant as he was lying on the road under car trying to find out what happened can never have too many torches I believe someone says here 😂 .. I should have a working kitchen and flooring ( plaster on ceiling drying out ) ..by Friday night carpet in living room stairs and lino and new sink in bathroom
Still cooking on old camping stove and using the air fryer
Have used almost all the food preps I stored only one fail with the cheese sauce for pasta which was dehydrated and the cat wouldn't even look at it ..so not bad wont use that one again it wasn't particularly nice.. used the water storage I had so no wastage there and topped it up again today
Have warmed beans tomatoes..soup ..tinned mince etc on the wood burner ... thank you telephone pole 😂
The freezing temps haven't helped... trying to keep Mr GG warm and fed ..the summer duvet i put away went on top of the winter one for extra warmth the hot water bottles have been out ..the house has been cold with no flooring or ceiling or anything..but we've managed ...
Weve had a month almost of no kitchen living room and bathroom basin ..hes had a luxury shave today as he called it rather than over a bowl with a mirror propped up on the loo !
Will go out tomorrow top up gas canisters for the small gas burner .. batteries...for the lanterns and torches.. painkillers as they all got soaked in cupboard....
We havent keeled over yet ........
deckard

Post by deckard »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:29 pm
deckard wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:59 pm Some pretty decent preparedness in terms of heating here.

Look I to the boiler wiring most use a feedback for the flame failure requiring negative and CPC to be linked if running off an inverter or genset
Yes our Worcester Bosch needs the n+e bond to function, its the main reason I'm non too keen on it. We are TN+CS here, so without a dedicated changeover you either end up with a dangerous earth loop or possibility of creating some potential differences on grid neutral.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

deckard wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:16 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:29 pm

Yes our Worcester Bosch needs the n+e bond to function, its the main reason I'm non too keen on it. We are TN+CS here, so without a dedicated changeover you either end up with a dangerous earth loop or possibility of creating some potential differences on grid neutral.

A lot also forget the cross bonding of the water pipes / Ch pipes and gases pipes all run back to the DNO header from the houses cpc bar in the consumer unit .. my plan is to remove the incoming CPC in the cu should I have to run the boiler this way isolating it from that grid abd switching off the double poll main switch wiring the boiler direct to the inverter using the flex from the fused spur and lever over wggos