What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Ordered another 120w panel that's the play house / little shed roof full :lol:

Picked some of these up from Lidl today £9.99 each USBC rechargeable 12 hr run time on low 2hr on max touch sensor in the back Vs a physical switch high medium and low settings plus switching between cool (blueish) white to yellowish warm white and a middle setting between the two ..

Big sticky pad to mount and a weird ball bearing / magnet and a rubber bush so it stays where it's pointed
Screenshot_20240310-213827.png
Screenshot_20240310-214501.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Peter

Post by Peter »

jansman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:01 am

An emergency I have always stocked is water. 25 litre containers. My illness now won’t allow me to sling them on my shoulders now :lol: so my wife certainly cannot. Therefore we are storing 2 litre bottles in the pantry,and plenty. Easier bottle to exchange and rotate,and fill when empty to.
JM you can get 12V submersible water pumps that can go inside a water container, had one for ages, from Towsure
if I remember.

We’ve found 20/25 litre jerrycans are now too heavy for us to lift to table hight, (we’re both 80), so we plan to use
the pump to fill a container (with a tap) on a work top from a floor level jerrycan using a sack truck to move it.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Peter wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:03 pm
jansman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:01 am

An emergency I have always stocked is water. 25 litre containers. My illness now won’t allow me to sling them on my shoulders now :lol: so my wife certainly cannot. Therefore we are storing 2 litre bottles in the pantry,and plenty. Easier bottle to exchange and rotate,and fill when empty to.
JM you can get 12V submersible water pumps that can go inside a water container, had one for ages, from Towsure
if I remember.

We’ve found 20/25 litre jerrycans are now too heavy for us to lift to table hight, (we’re both 80), so we plan to use
the pump to fill a container (with a tap) on a work top from a floor level jerrycan using a sack truck to move it.
Most kind advice Peter. Thank you. :D

What I have done here now is to first make sure there is plenty of immediate water available. In our pantry at the back we have an old style brick thrall . So I have bought 10x 5ltr containers of water to stand on there. Great big marker pen dated too! 3 years on it. Along with that my wife keeps bottles 500 ml too,so in an immediate emergency she’s fine. We recently had problems in the road outside and the water was a little restricted,but we were fine and it worked .
In the fullness of time though,if there were a real problem,I have organised rain butts from the outbuildings with lids and taps. We have good filters and boiling facilities. I used to run a 12v pump from our well ,but again,the lid has to be lifted and it’s heavy! Less hassle for the boss. :lol:
Age is a biggie for us both now,and my wife can handle my new arrangement. That gives me peace of mind.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Started on the allotment got 5 rows of main crop spuds in after dumping plenty of chicken house sweepings on the area and rotorvating the area well fingers crossed fir a good crop this year

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I miss home grown tatties Andy, well done!
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Wee reminder of importance of dry socks in your BOB - went for my weekly wild camp bivvy and somewhat randomly forgot to take spare socks. True to form I stood in a bog and got boot & sock soaked through. Had to put (frozen) wet socks on in the morning, not a biggy, car was only a couple of miles away but would have been blisters if much further.
BTW, I have no intention of ever bugging out to the woods if SHTF but spare dry socks are always nice.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:26 am I miss home grown tatties Andy, well done!
Got enough for about another 4 rows so once I get another dry day I'll stick more in this supposed spud shortage from last year might bite yet..

The good old grow what you eat and spuds never go amis

jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:26 am I miss home grown tatties Andy, well done!
The small sprout spuds in the pantry I’ve shoved in pots outside. Each one will be a boiling. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

So I can honestly say that my preparation for the ultimate ending is about there. Sorry to sound grim perhaps,buts *thats life* :lol:
Since illness has been confirmed,treated,being treated etc. I’ve had time to alter things for my wife.

We’d only been wed for two months and we had an ice storm/ snow that took the county out of power and water for five days back then. Of course being newlyweds wasn’t a problem to keep warm :lol: but we did start to realise that things happen without warning after that. There was no title for it though. It became obvious when we got a computer when eldest was ten,so it’s a good 20 years. Prepping became apparent.

I had a redundancy. That’s when food storage started. Right up until my illness we had a huge amount of tinned ,dried,and freezers too. The daughters had constant boyfriends and friends and we rattled through it! However,as we get older we need less. Therefore I’ve reduced us to the original pantry in our cottage which is more than suitable for two people,and certainly one. It maintains rotation too. On top of tinned and dried we freeze meals too. So yesterday was a favourite pasta dish. I cooked double. Therefore we have two frozen meals - properly labelled- ready to go. This helps my wife greatly when I am in hospital,or frankly it’s easier for when we can’t be bothered. It saves fuel too.

We’ve lived in the same house all along,so we’ve seen a change or two,that’s for sure. Well maintained now,and one prep has been to set up building contacts for after I’m gone. Along with a specific fund just for that purpose. Most important.

Our garden is huge,and I’ve kept rabbits,fowls ,goats and always grown food. Not now. We have sold one section and the rest is weed controlled,slabbed,false lawned etc. Looks good. My veg garden still has some perennials in there but along with lots of my wife’s flowers now. It’s all pre weeded and bark chipped,and she knows how to use a weed killer pump spray! ;) Sorted.
We have our Summerhouse at the top,all sorted,powered and lit. In an emergency ,family could use it,or even Mrs J if need be. There’s heating and fan in there,along with a mini bar too! :lol: So as a place that is basically for leisure,it’s a well kitted place ;)

Fuel. Now there is a topic ! Up until last November there has always been at least one open fire or stove. At one point our space heating was all solid fuel. Our wood came in for absolute zero cost and we’ve saved some money down the decades, although ever expensive coal was there too. However,whilst I was in hospital,Mrs J didn’t need the hassle of cleaning,fuelling etc. So I took the remaining stove out upon return,and replaced with a rather effective electric version of a woodstove. Talking to the coal merchant I’ve known for ever in our village,even he says that regulations are gradually creeping in. Indeed he is now retiring because of this creeping up. Selling it whilst he can!
Up until about 12 years ago we had gas central heating like many ( although only really used it for hot water)We’ve had 3 boilers in that time. When the last went wrong,we simply asked for a new one. Oh no! New regulations. The pipeline had been buried originally ( before regulations now) and was the wrong bore. We’d just been rewired,and we didn’t want more mess.

So we went electric. What a change! I installed the latest wall version heating,German infra red panels, all LED lighting and in fact,much of it is automated. One soon gets used to approach lighting that’s for sure. It’s all remote control on top of manual too,so it’s easier than chainsawing logs :lol: :lol: The main thing is that it’s simple for my wife. In fact my old friend with whom I’ve known years is looking at this now,as his aged back is slowing his wood cutting down.
As people born in the early 1960s and before,we are feeling our age.

Fortunately we are in a cottage which has doors,carpets,curtains etc. This helps heating very well.,so we warm each room as needed. As country kids we’ve always dressed in a layered way,so we are not *pretend Italians* who want to wear hot weather clothing all year round! Take a look ,you’ll see them :lol: . Therefore we can heat each room as necessary. There is a lot of moaning about cost of electricity,and yes it is dearer than when we went electric. However,as Preppers we should adapt accordingly. We find it swift and efficient,and we don’t earn a fortune either.
Discussing this with my friends,we are of the age we can see the slow down of domestic supply of fuel. We ain’t got the North Sea no more! So electricity will be the way forward. Of course,that WILL mean power cuts from time to time I am sure. Therefore I’ve prepped alternatives for my wife.

Most importantly ( because nightime Winter it will happen) is light. That is emergency light. All LED ,mainly battery ( rechargeable is no good in a power supply problem) . Zero problems there with lots of battery ready to last at least a whole Winter. We have rechargeable lighting throughout the house we use daily anyway as our stair lights particularly are harsh. Therefore there is always gentle light,and automatic. Alongside that is charging for phone too,which will be good if phones operate :lol: :lol:

Cooking. No problem. We have a methylated spirit camping stove ,pan and kettle job,along with plenty of meths too. Then two of the aerosols gas trendy picnic stoves. So all good there. A kettle can boil,which is most important. :D

Heating is there too. Whilst I am sitting here with my body covered with my thin layered clothes and *settee electric blanket* - get one ,they run at only 3p per hour! :D we have a back up portable gas heater. In our large fireplace it can heat easily on one section and a 15 kg bottle last 5 weeks non stop! That’ll do as back up,as I seriously believe that we will have power cuts on occasions,nationwide. Things are changing.

The last is money,and frankly ,to me, the most important. We can believe in zombies,asteroids,and the rest of it, but paying money is the real deal. So since marriage upon a very moderate income,my wife has cover for when I am gone in order to cover her expenses and maintenance expenses too. That’s relief for me to be frank.

So basically that’s how our prepping has changed over the years. Now I’ve funnelled it down to ,ultimately, my wife when I pass on,which won’t be long now.

Thanks for reading. Take care.

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

~~Jansman & Jan xx~~ But we're all in the same boat ultimately, just a lot of us don't know it yet. I even appreciate this tiny wee hamster hutch now as it'll be so easy to run when one of us is left.