What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
Mad Scientist

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by Mad Scientist »

My daughter had a tooth pooled and developed dry socket. Won’t forget that in a hurry. Thank goodness it’s healed up now. My heart truly goes out to anybody having this it’s so awful to tolerate especially on top of other health issues.
Got tomatoes and more herbs growing. Did a huge food shop with my brother so we’re all stocked up. He lives on his own and his mobility isn’t great so we keep an eye on him. Off to Halfords on Thursday to have some bulbs replaced. Picked up some lovely 10l plastic jerries from the recycling crate for free at the petrol station. Bit of a clean out and they’ll do very nicely to hold spare water. More rechargeable batteries.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've been away for a few weeks. Malta, a first and last for me. I got in the door at midnight on Monday night, and I now have only one more round of washing to do :lol: victory! Sincerely glad that WWIII didn't break out when I got over there :?

My garden, of course, has exploded into life, mostly with dandelion seeds. So I want to have the rest of this week weeding the garden and planting seedlings in the spare room, while keeping as much of my fitness as I can. Got a small supermarket order arriving tomorrow, that will help things along.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:42 pm I've been away for a few weeks. Malta, a first and last for me. I got in the door at midnight on Monday night, and I now have only one more round of washing to do :lol: victory! Sincerely glad that WWIII didn't break out when I got over there :?

My garden, of course, has exploded into life, mostly with dandelion seeds. So I want to have the rest of this week weeding the garden and planting seedlings in the spare room, while keeping as much of my fitness as I can. Got a small supermarket order arriving tomorrow, that will help things along.
Looks like storms down your way tonight
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Welcome home arzosah :mrgreen:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:13 pm
Arzosah wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:42 pm I've been away for a few weeks. Malta, a first and last for me. I got in the door at midnight on Monday night, and I now have only one more round of washing to do :lol: victory! Sincerely glad that WWIII didn't break out when I got over there :?

Looks like storms down your way tonight
Oof, it does, doesn't it. I've been outside for an hour trying to get to grips with the narrow piece of soil just by my party wall - I've sprinkled "Claybreaker" on it now, so I'm quite hoping for a downpour tonight :lol:

I'm very tempted to take my kettle upstairs overnight, and if there's a thunderstorm that means I can't sleep, I'll have a cup of tea in bed without bothering with coming downstairs :lol: it's the height of decadence :mrgreen:
diamond lil wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:51 pm Welcome home arzosah :mrgreen:
Thanks Lil! I was glad to get back because of the headlines, things looked dodgy at one point. Malta was really great, but its already very crowded and there's a *lot* of hotels being built. Anybody who wants to go, go soon. There are temples, some of them standing 7 metres tall, that were built before the earliest Egyptian pyramids, its great for a history buff like me. It's a First World country, but the people are truly welcoming, absolutely wonderful.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

That sounds like a nice wee break you had. Preps here are to make huge changes to my expectations I think. Today we went to Peebles, lovely wee town we've been going to for donkey's years for the good boutiquey-type shops, loads of cafes and nice walks down by the river. We lasted two hours. It was 16c so not hot. but we were knackered. He was staggering and limping and I was just dragging meself around wishing I could sit down. Think I need to drastically shrink my LIFE :evil:
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Kiwififer wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:54 pm I have a ‘what if?’ bag in the attic, I refuse to call it a ‘bug out bag’ for various reasons but it is more or less the same thing. I’m going to bring it down and go through it to make sure everything is working in it. Happy to take advice for the stock.

So spare winter clothes.
First aid kit.
Portable solar generator.
Wind up radio.
Rechargeable torch.
Paracord.
Glow sticks.
Whistles.
Waterproof bag for items such as passports.
Firelighter.
Filtration kit.

There’s probably more stuff which I have forgotten about but I’m wanting mainly to check the first aid kit, torch, radio and solar panel charger (which is actually bulky and heavy for its size).
I think I posted my full BOB list on here somewhere. Mine is geared to more than one day and I don't have a car so it includes tent, sleeping mats, sleeping bag, stove, gas, pot, food, water, filters, puri tabs etc. Wash kit, toilet kit (inc trowel). Waterproofs. Map, compass. Tools such as Mora, Leatherman, SAK. Sun glasses, sunscreen. Reading glasses, magnifiers. Paracord. Head torch, spare mini head torch, mini torch. Batteries, powerbank. Zip ties. Charging plug, cables. Important documents. Pen, notebook, pencils. Pens to mark laminated maps. Adhesive, tent repair kit. First aid kit. Plastic groundsheet. Poncho.
All of this including rucksack comes in at about 12kg. If you aren't careful, all this could weigh a lot more. My sleeping bag is 235g. It only comes up to the waist. You sleep in your insuated jacket. Air bed is 170g, lighter than my foam mat. It is the lightest you can buy, and is a short, ie shoulders to knees.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Kiwififer wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:54 pm I have a ‘what if?’ bag in the attic, I refuse to call it a ‘bug out bag’ for various reasons but it is more or less the same thing. I’m going to bring it down and go through it to make sure everything is working in it. Happy to take advice for the stock.

So spare winter clothes.
First aid kit.
Portable solar generator.
Wind up radio.
Rechargeable torch.
Paracord.
Glow sticks.
Whistles.
Waterproof bag for items such as passports.
Firelighter.
Filtration kit.

There’s probably more stuff which I have forgotten about but I’m wanting mainly to check the first aid kit, torch, radio and solar panel charger (which is actually bulky and heavy for its size).
I think I posted my full BOB list on here somewhere. Mine is geared to more than one day and I don't have a car so it includes tent, sleeping mats, sleeping bag, stove, gas, pot, food, water, filters, puri tabs etc. Wash kit, toilet kit (inc trowel). Waterproofs. Map, compass. Tools such as Mora, Leatherman, SAK. Sun glasses, sunscreen. Reading glasses, magnifiers. Paracord. Head torch, spare mini head torch, mini torch. Batteries, powerbank. Zip ties. Charging plug, cables. Important documents. Pen, notebook, pencils. Pens to mark laminated maps. Adhesive, tent repair kit. First aid kit. Plastic groundsheet. Poncho.
All of this including rucksack comes in at about 12kg. If you aren't careful, all this could weigh a lot more. My sleeping bag is 235g. It only comes up to the waist. You sleep in your insuated jacket. Air bed is 170g, lighter than my foam mat. It is the lightest you can buy, and is a short, ie shoulders to knees. My plastic ground sheet is 44g. It is very thin but strong. My tent does have a sewn in grounsheet. Tent is about 1kg. Rucksack is 1.5 kg. I only have a small gas canister. It fits inside a 1.1 litre pot, along with stove, which is the tiny type that screw into the top of the gas canister. I have a plastic stabaliser. Also the pot has a hanging loop and I have a titanium chain so it can be suspended over an open fire if necessary. The chain has a plate with 3 holes for sticks to make a tripod. Several lighters. Food is freeze dried backpacking meals plus lifeboat rations.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:01 pm That sounds like a nice wee break you had. Preps here are to make huge changes to my expectations I think. Today we went to Peebles, lovely wee town we've been going to for donkey's years for the good boutiquey-type shops, loads of cafes and nice walks down by the river. We lasted two hours. It was 16c so not hot. but we were knackered. He was staggering and limping and I was just dragging meself around wishing I could sit down. Think I need to drastically shrink my LIFE :evil:
How I understand! :( Age,health etc makes such a change to what used to a life of absolute freedom and strength! My personal illness doesn’t help,but when the lads came round for a brew we all talked about our ages and physical work we all agreed that it has knackered us! :lol: That’s the truth. Our changes and prepping is changing accordingly.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Lifelong changing and prepping eh JM? I suppose the lesson is to never get complacent, never get in a rut.