What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by Frnc »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:29 pm Well done GeeGee, that's great news :)

I'm not actively prepping right now - I have a couple of deliveries to sort, but my priority has to be upcoming tax return, I don't seem physically capable of starting it before the January that it's due :?
I hate doing it, even though it only takes me a few minutes, so I do it within a few days of April 5, to get it out of the way. Fortunately the Rent a Room scheme simplifies the lodgers to rent minus £7,500. I just guess the interest from my savings.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:29 am
jansman wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:16 am Going to pick up another 15 kg gas bottle . Just in case we have another electrical power cut. It means we have no worries about keeping warm. We don’t miss the multifuel stoves that we had for 25+ years. What’s more,our electric heating costs no more than coal - in fact it’s less!
Scout the local Facebook pages saves paying the large deposit on calor / Flo gas initial rental/ deposits :mrgreen: though im guessing your brother might be able to assist on that front :)

Think before next winter I'm going to replace my portable gas heater it's getting a bit tatty now looking at the catalytic version for about £120 on calors website camping Gaz also do one seems to have a decent run time our rental agreement forbids calor heaters fortunately mines currently a dehlongi brand and i use ennergas (hull based gas supplier) ive taken the wording literally as it's there in black and white it's kept in the shed but there if needed.... I got another 15kg butane bottle a few weeks ago was offered it for nothing still full the chap has listened to me about the refillable bottles for his caravan and horse box :lol: told him id use it on thr bbq

Have you looked into economy 7 electric rates? Boost the heat up overnight when the leccy is cheaper sort of thing
Thanks mate. My brother got me a bottle as it happens. As for the E7 electric,not as cheap as one may think. Whilst cheaper at night,more expensive during the day,which is when we use it. I will not allow use of a washing machine or tumble dryer when not attended,and that means sleep too. My old mate Mick ran a company that supplied commercial services with washers and driers - top branded German ones, and he was insistent about attentions. Fire is not unusual. He said he attended one a week that went up in flames!
Our radiators can be put on via timers or even smartphones,but to be honest,it’s easier ( and safer) to turn on when needed. They warm up very quickly. When our daughters try to suggest we should use that technology,my dear wife will answer that “ we are made of tougher stuff” :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
preppermike

Post by preppermike »

Drained a few litres out of each of the water butts this morning, to give a bit of expansion room if they freeze! It was 0 here last night and forecast to get a lot colder.

I also need to sort my water shortage preps, rotate some of the stored drinking water.

Hope everyone is coping with the cold!
www.codewithmike.com - Tech Reviews, Prepper Gear, Gaming Blog
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:05 pm
Thanks mate. My brother got me a bottle as it happens. As for the E7 electric,not as cheap as one may think. Whilst cheaper at night,more expensive during the day,which is when we use it. I will not allow use of a washing machine or tumble dryer when not attended,and that means sleep too. My old mate Mick ran a company that supplied commercial services with washers and driers - top branded German ones, and he was insistent about attentions. Fire is not unusual. He said he attended one a week that went up in flames!
Our radiators can be put on via timers or even smartphones,but to be honest,it’s easier ( and safer) to turn on when needed. They warm up very quickly. When our daughters try to suggest we should use that technology,my dear wife will answer that “ we are made of tougher stuff” :lol:
Fair enough my dad used to be up at the crack of dawn when working the washer / tumble / dishwasher went on then.. and mum backfilled after he went to work she was getting up ..
They have a old gas back boiler with electric immersion heater so used to boost that up on cheap rate

Dad been dad doesn't use much electric during the day even now bar a light and TV they have a gas cooker different strokes for different folks mums reported their meter looks to be on the Fritz but got told (again) they don't go wrong not that she's complaining it's in their favour :lol:

Mate of mine has a power wall linked to his solar he plays that game for all it's worth charges up on cheap rate / solar and infeeds to the grid at peak to get thr best rate

I really don't get all this app on phone b/s sisters new washer has an app ..... To turn it on and set the program you've still got to load it put soap and softener in it shut the door might as well select program 9 and press play :lol:

Now will someone please explain to Mrs Andy that programme 9 although it's a 3 hour cycle uses less electricity than the mixed load 1:30 program it'd be appreciated the energy use of most programmes is listed in the instruction book in kWh :lol: :lol: :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Just spent a couple of hours checking last year's gas and electricity bills. Also how much they will go up when my fix ends. It's not too bad. I reckon they will go up £50 a month (67%), but I'll pass £10 onto each lodger. Price cap went up 5% in Jan, but is expected to fall during the spring/summer.

I've turned the thermostat up a degree this year, as one lodger's room is a bit cold. Also to come on earlier. I've hardly had to mess with it this year, after doing that.

Got some powdered free range egg delivered from ebay. Expiry is December 2024. I'll try some, but not til later in the year.

Started doing some back and core strengthening exercises most days, few pushups. Neglected fitness this year. Got the exercise bike ready to use (power lead got misplaced when the roof leaked).
jansman

Post by jansman »

Our Winter is an interesting time. The recent power cut ( the word ‘outage’ flags up and it’s American! :lol: ) confirmed our preps ,and we were 100% prepped.
Heating is the big ‘un in Winter though.

For those who have solid fuel,there’s no problem at all. After 25 ,probably nearer 30 years,that’s what we had,and I never,ever paid for wood. Coal ,yes. Our recent power cut would not have been an issue,but because of my illness,and the future of my wife, we are now all electric. Each of the ‘pretend’ solid fuel stoves warms its room swiftly ,but of course,when the leccy packs up,those rooms are not being warmed. Mind you,the lack of electricity applies to gas central heating too!

So as we always had wood/coal,there was no problem. However,literally the first thing I sorted when we went electric,was emergency heating,and wasn’t that good planning? :D A mobile gas heater,with three months worth of gas. My brother had a spare diesel heater too,so that’s been sorted,with fuel stashed. Above all,wife is trained to use the above if needed! 😘.

So yes,electric is an expensive option.However,so is coal! We’ve just had a full one month bill and to be frank,our electricity heating has worked out cheaper than a month’s worth of coal! It is also more flexible. Right now the stove is on,and in half an hour I have yet another hospital appointment,so it will simply be turned off.

Of course,each household or area has different ways of heating.

So regarding heating, do you have an emergency alternative? Solid fuel households need not apply! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:09 am

So regarding heating, do you have an emergency alternative? Solid fuel households need not apply! :lol:
2kw fan heater
2kw oil filled radiator these two back up incase the boiler breaks down ....

Then 2x bio ethanol fireplaces and about 20l of ethanol stockpiled

5kw portable diesel heater and 10l of fuel (red)

Calor gas darlec heater plus 30kg of butane minimum

Buddy heater and a ammo tin of cartridges

Generic bistro stove cartridge heater and a box of cartridges

Kids have electric blankets

And 2 cats ;) was funny last night little man fast asleep with 2 cats at his side enjoying the warm from that electric blanket which was on low as he was cold at bed time apparently... Turned it off once he was asleep

Don't forget the hot water bottles Mrs a got one slung in bed last night she can keep her cold feet to herself :lol:

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Depends how bad it gets - my primary backup is a little gas fire that runs on the same cartridges as a solo camping stove.

I have a couple of litres of veg oil that went off (to my shame!) but I kept them, and I could easily soak cardboard/ twigs/ even spare material if it got bad enough, and light it up.

A rocket stove, home made. There's a *lot* of stuff in my garden ready to be brought in if the weather and the power cut are bad enough.

Gel/ tab stoves.

I wouldn't fancy using any of it if I didn't have to, but I *can* :) There's also boxes of candles, light enough of them at once and you can warm your hands, even if you don't go the flowerpot route :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:24 am Depends how bad it gets - my primary backup is a little gas fire that runs on the same cartridges as a solo camping stove.

I have a couple of litres of veg oil that went off (to my shame!) but I kept them, and I could easily soak cardboard/ twigs/ even spare material if it got bad enough, and light it up.

A rocket stove, home made. There's a *lot* of stuff in my garden ready to be brought in if the weather and the power cut are bad enough.

Gel/ tab stoves.

I wouldn't fancy using any of it if I didn't have to, but I *can* :) There's also boxes of candles, light enough of them at once and you can warm your hands, even if you don't go the flowerpot route :lol:
Sit in the car assuming you've a full tank ;) phone / tablet charging off the cigarette lighter radio on ;) not that most efficient way to keep warm but if it gets that bad....

jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:16 am
jansman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:09 am

2kw fan heater
2kw oil filled radiator these two back up incase the boiler breaks down ....

Then 2x bio ethanol fireplaces and about 20l of ethanol stockpiled

5kw portable diesel heater and 10l of fuel (red)

Calor gas darlec heater plus 30kg of butane minimum

Buddy heater and a ammo tin of cartridges

Generic bistro stove cartridge heater and a box of cartridges

Kids have electric blankets

And 2 cats ;) was funny last night little man fast asleep with 2 cats at his side enjoying the warm from that electric blanket which was on low as he was cold at bed time apparently... Turned it off once he was asleep

Don't forget the hot water bottles Mrs a got one slung in bed last night she can keep her cold feet to herself :lol:
Is that it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.