Waterbutt drinking water

How are you preparing
mikefranks

Re: Waterbutt drinking water

Post by mikefranks »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:33 pm Flat roof.... Roofing felt?
If so, not so good for drinking.
Ditto a lead roof, a metal roof in zinc, copper or stainless steel are best for harvesting drinking water.

As others have said, use your water butts as a source of clean(ish) water for non-drinking uses.

Theres loads of information in the "Water" section of "Food, Nutrition etc" Here

The roof is that new stuff. Fibre glass and then coated in grey paint? Runs into the gutter straight into the Waterbutt. Was thinking of getting a water filter system and then double filtering it. There are water testing kits available so may do a test run and see how things go. Anyone else tried this? Will post results once done
ForgeCorvus

Re: Waterbutt drinking water

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Ah, that stuff..... Thats probably a good catch surface.

Have a look at "First Flush" systems, basically they divert the first rain water (with all the kak off your roof) to the drain and then automatically switch flow to your storage.

Why double filter? if your filter will remove it the first time it won't be there the second and if its still there after the first then your filter isn't up to the job.
Or do you mean course filter (like cloth) to remove to stuff you can see then 'proper' filter ?

Look for the smallest "Absolute" pore size you can find, this means there are no pores larger then that. As opposed to "Nominal" which means most of the pores are this big.... But not all of them.

Anything with a pore size of about 0.1 micron such as the Sawyer mini will remove bacteria, but you need at least 0.001 micron to remove viruses. Or else you need a secondary treatment (UV, chemical or heat are the easiest)

I'm not sure what the water testing kits are supposed to detect, let us know how you get on
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar