Practicing CAT7 tourniquet - how check legs?

Medical and Healthcare
Omega

Practicing CAT7 tourniquet - how check legs?

Post by Omega »

I am practicing CAT7 tourniquet. It is quite ok on hands - I apply tourniquet until oximiser stops sensing pulse on my finger. However, oximiser does not fit my toe. How do I check I applied sufficient pressure on my legs? I do not trust trying to check pulse by fingers as they often do not sense that the pulse is still there
Thanks
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Practicing CAT7 tourniquet - how check legs?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

First aid... You tighten it up till blood stops leaking... Nothing more complex than that...

5cm above the wound regardless of single / double bone compartment... If the first one is ft and bleeding still occurring place a second tourniquet 5cm above the first unless on a joint then you go above...

Ideally a pressure dressing & gauze should be tried first unless claret is shooting across the room
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Unless its Hosing go with pad,dressing and pressure..... If it is bad enough to need a CAT wind it up until the blood stops.

TK's should only be removed in Resus or Theater...... ie not by you or me.

I think you'll find that if you're practicing until your pulse stops then you're not going far enough, after all a blood pressure cuff has to stop your pulse and I don't think you could use one of those as a TK.

And now we wait for a real medic to come along and tell us we're all wrong :D
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:21 pm Unless its Hosing go with pad,dressing and pressure..... If it is bad enough to need a CAT wind it up until the blood stops.

TK's should only be removed in Resus or Theater...... ie not by you or me.

I think you'll find that if you're practicing until your pulse stops then you're not going far enough, after all a blood pressure cuff has to stop your pulse and I don't think you could use one of those as a TK.

And now we wait for a real medic to come along and tell us we're all wrong :D

When you do it tight they scream.....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:40 pm First aid... You tighten it up till blood stops leaking... Nothing more complex than that...

5cm above the wound regardless of single / double bone compartment... If the first one is ft and bleeding still occurring place a second tourniquet 5cm above the first unless on a joint then you go above...

Ideally a pressure dressing & gauze should be tried first unless claret is shooting across the room
It’s that simple.This last twelve months I’ve had a tourniquet almost daily at times,and what Andy describes is bang on.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Great to see you back Jansman!! 🤗
jansman

Post by jansman »

Mad Scientist wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:57 am Great to see you back Jansman!! 🤗
And nice to hear from you too!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.