House fire

Homes and Retreats
Yorkshire Andy

Re: House fire

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Peter wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:49 pm So much for the police saying leave a light on when you go out.
Well I've dumped all plastic bodied lamps today in favour of this type of lamp with a glass globe
IMG-20231119-WA0019.jpeg
Bit more money but I never want a repeat of last night
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Well done.
What caused the fire? Fitting? Wiring? Bulb? Shade? LED or incandescent?

I've never really considered the risk of domestic fire and would have poo-pooed the idea of having multiple smoke alarms and extinguishers. Time for me to reconsider if this can happen to you. :shock:

We did have an electric shower burn out once, but no damage beyond the shower itself.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

[quote=jennyjj01 post_id=234029 time=1700434660 user_id=6864]
Well done.
What caused the fire? Fitting? Wiring? Bulb? Shade? LED or incandescent?

I've never really considered the risk of domestic fire and would have poo-pooed the idea of having multiple smoke alarms and extinguishers. Time for me to reconsider if this can happen to you. :shock:

We did have an electric shower burn out once, but no damage beyond the shower itself.
[/quote]

The lamp / bulb decided to go from cool white to warm flickering flame effect .. bog standard led bayonet lamp nothing special.

The mains powered alarms didn't go off my additional battery powered fire angles one In the room did

I'll advocate the flavours with the built in emergency light that's comes on with the alarm as in my case the lighting circuit trips and at this time of year your in the flipping dark ..

But not quiet blackout as the little battery pir stairway lights provide light likewise when we were allowed back in I put on the solar pendant lamps the white hatred fireman sounded impressed :lol:

Multiple alarms are a must you shut a door it can take 20 minutes before the alarm in the next room goes off. ....After its burnt though the door...

It reinforces the need to keep torches handy I had a magnetic torch attached to the extinguisher sounds daft but it worked ...
[attachment=0]Screenshot_20231119-215627.png[/attachment]

I had my edc torch in my pocket and used it to "flag down" the first fire engine could tell I had been spotted by the rapid increase in engine noise / speed after I flashed them...
Attachments
Screenshot_20231119-215627.png

GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

You've done well there Yorkshire Andy the torch idea is great so its now in place in mine..see you can never have too many torches :) think you've been saying it for years I always blame you when I buy another :)

My cat tried to kill me ..sounds like one of those bad TV programmes doesn't it
Have a induction hob she walked on it turned it on which in turn roasted a diary I had stupidly thrown down before I went upstairs
It was dark and as I was fumbling around for a t towel to dampen and sling over the diary ..said torch was out of reach now its positioned exactly...
Your preps served you very well regardless of the fire brigade telling you off .. it could have been so much worse
korolev

Post by korolev »

Odd that the mains powered smokes didnt go off, they're usually more sensitive than battery ones. Have you tested them ?
Good that you're all safe, that's the most important thing; houses can be replaced, people can't.

It's reminded me that I must get a couple of extinguishers in from the workshop; trouble is Mrs K doesn't like the look of them :|
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

korolev wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:45 pm Odd that the mains powered smokes didnt go off, they're usually more sensitive than battery ones. Have you tested them ?
Good that you're all safe, that's the most important thing; houses can be replaced, people can't.

It's reminded me that I must get a couple of extinguishers in from the workshop; trouble is Mrs K doesn't like the look of them :|
Mains one was on the other side of the landing they are about 9 months old and fully working I demonstrated the testing app to the fire fighters they are fairly clever.... I was on my way up the stairs due to little miss shouting when the one in the room went off .. for the smoke to get to the landing mains job it's have had to fill the bedroom roof space with smoke to about 2ft to get out under the door frame then fill the landing void which is high with a big recessed loft hatch too

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Crikey. Apparently halogen bulbs are high risk, LED and CFL are low. I don't think I have any halogen, but I'm not really sure. All my bulbs are modern replacements fot the old fashioned incadescent bulbs. Incidentally, incandescents are high risk despite being glass. Because they are much higher wattage, presumably.

I have a lamp that I leave on at night and if we are all out. It is rated 10w LED and the bulb is 5.5w LED so hopefully it's ok. It has 3,300 reviews and none mention fire. I'm not sure about my other bulbs but this is the only one left on for long periods unattended. The actual lamp looks pretty good.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Really well done Andy for handling all that so well! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Mad Scientist wrote: โ†‘Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:00 am Really well done Andy for handling all that so well! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
Cheers had a card in the letterbox yesterday from the "safe and well team" from the fire service I missed them. But spoke to them a few years ago they are erm.... "the book says" type of people totally risk averse type group ...

We have alarms in all rooms bar the bathroom ...

We have a multi scenario plan to deal with fires in various locations in the house .. the kids can do it all in the dark .....we've practiced........ And the lighting circuit failing meant there was no real panic I was expecting it and the battery pir stairway lights did their thing one of the firemen liked them ...

We've done a rapid evacuation ie fire detected early which the other night had both kids out the house in 5to8 seconds as the CCTV play back showed me..

A smoke evacuation where everyone musters in the master bedroom if possible or a stay on your room and I'll extract you. I've 2 smoke hoods just cheap ones but anything is better than a bit of cloth..... I'll don one secure exit then return and fit hood to each child and run them / slide down the stairs and out collecting the wife last ...

And a big shtf we are out the master bedroom window on the escape ladder

Both house doors have "emergency keys" hung on the frame

Plenty of suitable extinguishers..

Only thing we could do with doing is reducing fire load in the loft old TV boxes and accumulated junk....

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Finally fully back to normal put a new lamp shade up today sprayed to match the rest of the room made of metal.... If this burns we are in trouble..

And ordered some kit to refill the foam extinguishers on pay day I'm getting some Afff concentrate so I can service my own and refill should shtf I found a small bottle so I can refill the one I used just waiting for the Schrader adapter to come to see if it works