boot laces

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
deckard

boot laces

Post by deckard »

The laces in all the boots I own always wear away round the eyelets. Always in the same place, you're an ingenious lot, what am I doing wrong? Tried a range of different laces, I once waxed them with partial success, but they always wear pretty fast.
IMG_20231110_131800.jpg
ForgeCorvus

Re: boot laces

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Its basically because you're got fibres rubbing against metal, my re-enactment shoes just have holes punched through the leather and those laces don't wear at all.

Even metal eyelets will wear the laces. The loops you show have two edges the laces rub on and that speeds up the wear more. I avoid boots with loops&hooks partly for this reason

The only option I have to suggest is well oiled/waxed leather laces
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

It's going to happen.

Try lacing a different way to avoid hotspots in the same place:

https://lowamilitaryboots.com/5-ways-pr ... tical-boot
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:57 pm Its basically because you're got fibres rubbing against metal, my re-enactment shoes just have holes punched through the leather and those laces don't wear at all.

Even metal eyelets will wear the laces. The loops you show have two edges the laces rub on and that speeds up the wear more. I avoid boots with loops&hooks partly for this reason

The only option I have to suggest is well oiled/waxed leather laces
Leather laces are a pain to tie. You must be well practiced. You can't use a normal bow.

I've don't remember ever noticing a recurring problem with hiking boot laces getting worn. I probably replaced the odd pair over the years. The metal should be smooth where the laces rub.

Or maybe you just wear them a lot more than I ever did.
deckard

Post by deckard »

Thanks all; I did suspect its down to the eyelet style. I shall try some of the different lacing patterns, worth a shot.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

The problem I tend to have with laces is that the other sheath tends to come seperated from the inner core. Can be "solved" to a degree by melting the ends or even just tying a knot in them but it is irritating.
deckard

Post by deckard »

grenfell wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:38 am The problem I tend to have with laces is that the other sheath tends to come seperated from the inner core. Can be "solved" to a degree by melting the ends or even just tying a knot in them but it is irritating.
Snap.