What Knipex pliers size will you choose?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Omega

What Knipex pliers size will you choose?

Post by Omega »

Thinking to get myself 100 and 125 models - 125 seem to be the most convenient, but 100 is still the most compact, so I can put it into my scooter. And I can take 100 when I travel abroad because it does not make much weight difference
pseudonym

Re: What Knipex pliers size will you choose?

Post by pseudonym »

I looked at the smaller size to fit in my edc pouch to accompany my Leatherman, then realised I would be breaking the current UK Knife laws with the locking blade on the multitool.

That would mean having 2 Kniplex pliers...... gave up.. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

If it's being carried on a scooter or any other vehicle I'd always lean towards the larger ones . Weight would be less of a problem and the extra leverage is always good. For travel the smaller size could be a decent idea if they have to fit in a pocket although saying that I have a couple of pairs of smallish pliers that are easy enough to carry but how often I've actually had to use them ....
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I'd go for a small bacho adjustable on a vehicle over water pump pliers and a pair of normal pliers

Eg
Will do upto 13mm across the nut flats

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-8069-Bla ... th=1&psc=1
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

If it's just for the scooter I'd be inclined to add a couple of the most common sized proper spanners...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

grenfell wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:47 pm If it's just for the scooter I'd be inclined to add a couple of the most common sized proper spanners...

What a sensible answer :lol: I've got a set of knipex cobra 100's to be fair they hardly get used a decent pair of pliers do the same job... The bigger alligator get used more ...

As much as the bacho gets used because our site at work is huge and it's handy to have in your pocket often you can't get it in to tight spaces

A thin set of combination open ended spanners might be better assuming the nuts / bolts are metric in terms of weight and size for packing in a tool roll and getting to nuts in tight spaces
Eg:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155050414414 ... R8TM17HsYg

And if it won't shift I'll recommend the bacho 87 ... Problem is it's not exactly pocket size or pocket money :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I worked in restoration for quite some time and it was not uncommon to have to bolt plates onto timbers. Most of us carried adjustable spanners and I still have an 8" and 15" in my toolbox but for any number of bolting jobs the ridged spanners came out and they became part of the kit in a pretty short time. Common sizes were 17mm and 22mm.
Omega

Post by Omega »

grenfell wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:02 am If it's being carried on a scooter or any other vehicle I'd always lean towards the larger ones . Weight would be less of a problem and the extra leverage is always good. For travel the smaller size could be a decent idea if they have to fit in a pocket although saying that I have a couple of pairs of smallish pliers that are easy enough to carry but how often I've actually had to use them ....
I intend keeping it in my scooter, but I will take them with me when I travel abroad. I would think I might get more use when I travel abroad as my in-laws ask me to fix many things from door lock and furniture to car bits and electronics with internet connection, so now I started travelling with epoxy glue and two multitools and a small pliers might help as I do not know what bolt I need to hold or if I need to deal with a pipe
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Ah I see.
Working on the "I've got enough tools" comment said by no bloke ever I'd then be tempted to build a couple of toolkits. One that just lives with the scooter and has spanners sized just for that and another for travel containing the grips and adjustable spanner. And perhaps a screwdriver handle that takes hex bits and perhaps a file and perhaps a saw or perhaps ask the in laws to keep a toolkit as it could be easy to end up with a comprehensive but heavy kit to cart about...
Omega

Post by Omega »

pseudonym wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:25 am I looked at the smaller size to fit in my edc pouch to accompany my Leatherman, then realised I would be breaking the current UK Knife laws with the locking blade on the multitool.

That would mean having 2 Kniplex pliers...... gave up.. :mrgreen:
Maybe I misunderstand you, but KNIPEX is not knife as it is neither sharp nor pointed. And not made for cutting