Using old Diesel

Logistics and Transport
jennyjj01

Re: Using old Diesel

Post by jennyjj01 »

Winterprep wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:54 pm So my 240ltrs of Diesel and 120 of Petrol is naughty :lol:

All in proper metal Jerry cans away from any ignition sources and house.

WP.
You're ok with the diesel. Nice stash!

Who are we to judge.

However, don't make the mistake of not rotating it, especially the petrol.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I suppose it is naughty because we assume you're storing the petrol without one of those fancy licences and forum rules don't promote illegality. Saying that in the lockdown when supermarkets dropped the price to 99p a litre I did buy more than the 30L myself...
Pragmatically speaking if you're storing it safely what's the different between having a licence and not other than perhaps being in line for a fine but then it's not exactly policed is it ? We don't have inspectors checking every house and unless there's a fire or something like no one will ever know.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

This subject has come up on other forums. From what I understand this licence to store 30-275L does come with conditions other than just providing name and address. There seems to be requirements for distances to adjacent buildings and water courses and it seems somewhat difficult to obtain a licence. To be cynical if the PTB know you're storing petrol and a local emergency were to occur one could see those stocks being requisitioned . There seems to be a loophole where petrol can be stored in a vehicle tank and there's no requirement for the vehicle to be roadworthy or taxed but it seems an awkward and unsatisfactory way to store fuel and if the tank is vented I wouldn't think the petrol would stay good in there for very long ( although it always seem fine in apocalyptic films :lol: ).
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

grenfell wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:42 pm To be cynical if the PTB know you're storing petrol and a local emergency were to occur one could see those stocks being requisitioned.
This ^^^
The PTB might also deduce that other resources are stocked there, just waiting to be shared.
But all that would involve some degree of competence and joined up thinking. So we should be OK :D
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Panther wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:32 pm I'm pleased you've asked this question as I too have (a few) cans of diesel that have been in storage for far too long (maybe three or four years).
I hesitate to use the fuel but don't know how to dispose of it sensibly. At the local recycling centre they don't even accept empty fuel cans let alone full ones! Hmm, a quandary! :?
Update,
I used the first 20L diluted with about 5L of fresh. No harm from that.
I then used 20L neat. The car still ran fine. No obvious harm. I'm now back to using fresh.

I now need to 'clean' the jerry cans to re-use them for unleaded. To do that, I plan to rinse them out with maybe a litre of unleaded, just to get rid of any oily residue.

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

grenfell wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:27 pm I suppose it is naughty because we assume you're storing the petrol without one of those fancy licences and forum rules don't promote illegality. Saying that in the lockdown when supermarkets dropped the price to 99p a litre I did buy more than the 30L myself...
Pragmatically speaking if you're storing it safely what's the different between having a licence and not other than perhaps being in line for a fine but then it's not exactly policed is it ? We don't have inspectors checking every house and unless there's a fire or something like no one will ever know.

Indeed Tut Tut Tut

Spread it out if you can as far as I'm concerned you've got 30 litres at home 30 in a rented garage and another 60 on two allotments

Whilst it's seldom enforced but it's a £1000 fine...

The crux is in storage you could have 3 cars on the drive/ in the garage with 50l in each which is 150 litres but it's classed as in use.... Thus legal despite moden cars all having plastic tanks

Saturdays house fire I was asked if there's anything dangerous in the house .... No it's all in the shed...... Fire officers face was a picture.. he did ask me later whai I ment by what I said .. Oh I've got a can of petrol for the allotment.. a bottle of paraffin we go camping so there's gas bottles for my camper all stored in there away from the house .... "Oh that's great it's not in the house" "yes it's all In proper fuel cans ... And that was the end of that ....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine