Small House storage,

How are you preparing
UK Urban Prepper

Small House storage,

Post by UK Urban Prepper »

My food preps I have no room at all for a pantry and my cupboards are usually full as it is so....

I've removed the kickboards from the bottom of the kitchen cupboards, recorded what items and the best before dates and stuck to cans in this area and no filled that space , over 400 cans in storage space that I didn't think I had but clearly do.

Also if TEOTWAWKI and my house happens to get targeted chances are these are a lot safer form being found than the normal cupboard food.

Just an idea if like me you are struggling for space

question now is do I make this useable space like pictured or do i keep it looking like nothing is there.

jennyjj01

Re: Small House storage,

Post by jennyjj01 »

UK Urban Prepper wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:10 pm My food preps I have no room at all for a pantry and my cupboards are usually full as it is so....

I've removed the kickboards from the bottom of the kitchen cupboards, recorded what items and the best before dates and stuck to cans in this area and no filled that space , over 400 cans in storage space that I didn't think I had but clearly do.

Also if TEOTWAWKI and my house happens to get targeted chances are these are a lot safer form being found than the normal cupboard food.

Just an idea if like me you are struggling for space

question now is do I make this useable space like pictured or do i keep it looking like nothing is there.

400 cans is considerable. You must have a big kitchen. Nice storage.
I found a void in my home. About 3/4 cubic metre. Also hung shelves under the flat garage roof, but that gets hot in summer.
Rotation gets tricky, especially if you don't live out of tins normally. Currently lots of stuff in the loft, but that has to get shifted out in summer.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

UK Urban Prepper wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:10 pm

I've made use of the space in our kitchen for just this purpose. I kept the kick board as it is , it clips off easily enough and just looms bog standard which in reality it is. I then made simple ply boxes to act as drawers. If you're worried about marking the floor pulling them in and out glue a piece of carpet to the bottom. To be honest the positioning of the legs of the units puts a restriction on the size of the drawer box and can leave unused space. An even simpler solution is just to stack tins underneath. Slightly more inconvenient but maximises the storage.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

My kitchen kick panels are not tall enough to allow boxes and upright tin stacking. Cans in a lassoe makes getting them in and out easier, as does keeping then as trays of 20 as stored by supermarkets. My house has pretty big voids under the downstairs floor, but access is currently a no-no. I've seen storage solution using lengths of gutter pipe which can make for easy FIFO rotating.
Beware the weight of tinned food. It's easy to find your shelf/ceiling/cupboard collapsing.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
UK Urban Prepper

Yeah the kitchen isn’t that big but cupboards are seal
Cans are only 1 high but go back to wall 10 cans Deep give or take 1 with larger and smaller cans. I think if I boxed them I’d loose about 30% of the space I’m using so they are just loose.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Just watch out for any damp. I use under the plinth as well. My kitchen is less than 2m X 2.5m. One batch must have had some water leak from a spill that ran under the plinth and rusted a bit. Thankfully I caught it before there was any real damage to the cans.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

At my age kneeling down isn't a problem, it's the getting up that stops me from using the space as storage. :shock:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Another one here with a tiny kitchen - but I couldn't really manage to get into that space, I'd never get back up again if I got down there :mrgreen: Plus there's the risk of forgetting about stuff and it going out of date. My kitchen is so awkward - really needs pulled out and started from scratch.
UK Urban Prepper

This was my fear so ive added a list that keep me up to date with stock dates. and i plan to rotate it.