Preparing for Winter 2023/24

How are you preparing
Omega

Re: Preparing for Winter 2023/24

Post by Omega »

Not much prepping...
My solar panels still generate more energy than I consume, and Tesla battery allows me to use the energy when there is no sun... Though I see that storms make me buy energy from the grid. I am still on 2021 tariff, so I know I am better off than many, especially because of the solar panels and the battery
Yesterday, I recorded my house using Pulsar thermal imaging camera, tonight I will record the house of my neighbour - they have a larger house, but pay less for heating than me even though their tariff is higher. I suspect my house leaks heat, so we will compare our results, plus they are curious to find out what home improvements they can do. I leak more than them, then I will invite a surveyor who will write me report suitable for NHBC and get one with repairs from there
I bought myself long-term storage rations in form of compact biscuits - Seven Oceans, NGR-5, 900. Now I will rearrange my garage to store food there as I do not like storing it in my man-cave room
Plan buying a lot of ale and beer making ingredient kits on Black Friday deals so that I keep brewing my drinks for the next 12 months. It is quite a good peppers hobby to brew own drinks as you get lots of ingredients you could use for food, also sanitisers and filters for water
Will pack grain into plastic PET bottles - I use grain to make jarma and maksym drinks, but I do these drinks quite rarely that my small grain stash lasts for too long
Got myself 2 fridges for free, originally for beer/wine making, now plan using them also to store extra venison I hunt and fish I plan to catch. Getting own venison and fish is more for fun as hunting and fishing is quite expensive, but not much to do in winter months
Car is always ready, scooter too, but it will got through MOT soon
Getting honey from Central Asia because I find honey there has much stronger flavours than I can buy here in supermarkets. Overall, I intend getting it until I get around 12 kg for storage
Will go through my storage purging things out - I have too many things, particularly spare parts
pseudonym

Re: Preparing for Winter 2023/24

Post by pseudonym »

Ordered another 45 MRE pouches. Another 20 days to my supplies.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.