Now I've seen it all (PotatoSmart)

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jennyjj01

Now I've seen it all (PotatoSmart)

Post by jennyjj01 »

Just doing a bit of ironing, I flicked on the TV and found myself mesmerised. *

I honestly thought it was a spoof ad! The US short version on youtube doesn't do it justice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQVwAk2C2SM

I screamed with laughter and had to drag MrJJ to share the bladder busting absurdity of this product....

A smart space aged smart storage solution for your potatoes.
Made by Tupperware, that 'trustworthy brand' using trusted potato technology.

Its a bloody plastic box!

It's also wait for it.....
THIRTY NINE BL006Y QUID for a box to put spuds in!!!!!!!
And there's more.
"Pair the "PotatoSmart" with "OnionSmart" and "GarlicSmart" to get the ideal storage containers for all of your vegetables." for just £75 plus postage

What about my carrots????? When are they bringing out the 'CarrotSmart'?

I swear to god if my sister buys me one for Christmas, I'll disown her. If my nieces buy me one, I'll take them out of my will.

* Tenuous Link to prepping? It's a storage solution for preserving food. It's also too funny to not post.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
ForgeCorvus

Re: Now I've seen it all (PotatoSmart)

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Ha! I see your plastic box and raise you a wooden box
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbopetda-Stora ... 5138&psc=1
And a Tin
https://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/po ... f9656736c6

When we all know the best option is
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-hessi ... /p/0462302

Mind you, I know a few people who would love that box of yours (well, not 'yours' as in you own one.... You know what I mean :oops: )
Thanks for giving me a smile Jen

Frugal is a prep
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:43 pm Ha! I see your plastic box and raise you a wooden box
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbopetda-Stora ... 5138&psc=1
When we all know the best option is
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-hessi ... /p/0462302

Mind you, I know a few people who would love that box of yours (well, not 'yours' as in you own one.... You know what I mean :oops: )
Thanks for giving me a smile Jen

Frugal is a prep
I swear to god, humanity is doomed and doesn't deserve to survive.
That wooden box looks like something you would use to take your sick spuds to the potato vet.
The tin box could be a blighted spud incinerator.

My sis is a bu66er for watching and buying stuff off QVC. I DREAD opening Christmas presents. Almost as much as I dread her visiting and seeing that we are not using the novelty toilet roll holder or commemorative glass chopping board... or any of so many expensive and useless pieces of 5h17. It breaks my frugal heart but she never takes the hint. She doesn't read here, else she'd know to buy me a TooGoodToGo bag or a case of tinned ready meals or just the second cheapest bottle of wine. Mind you.... They all would still go up in the loft or back of the garage :lol:

Sorry. Yes I am an ungrateful [expletive]
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Ok, I admit it. I have two Cereal Smarts, two Pasta Smarts, and a Cornflour Starch Smart. The Cereal Smarts have opening holes that have rubber seals, as well as the lid being the normal clip on type. I can't remember if the Pasta Smarts have those and I can't be bothered to look. I also have a magnificent pale blue Wide Mouth Pasta Funnel for getting my pasta out of the Pasta Smarts and into the Thermos® Pasta Flask.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

I have a rather ancient tupperware cereal tub. The round pouring lid is a bit pants and doesn't seal well. We did have a tub with weetabix written on the side. Almost every time I picked it up the lid would come off and it would be weetabix everywhere. I don't mind such designer containers out of any sort of spite, but they are so stupidly expensive and the sets never quite fit the requirement so you end up with a hodge podge of solutions. Where are CarrotSpart, CourgetteSmart, TomatoSmart? :P
Another one that winds me up is Kilner Jars. A local hardware store, and the Range and various garden centres often have a dedicated end display of Kilner jars. Why should it be that an empty jam jar can cost £4. At those prices I'd expect them to be full of caviar, or at least something nice. Or a 189ml milk bottle at £6 !!! What?!

https://www.therange.co.uk/cooking-and- ... 96#9100996

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=kilner+jar ... vymcmrxs_e

Fun fact Jeremy Clarkson's descended from John Kilner, founder of the famous glass company.
https://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine ... -clarkson/

lowlander

Post by lowlander »

Kilner jars for preserving are worth every penny, even if you have to pay full price - jars for life. In my (long) experience, nothing else touches them for quality and longevity. Look at them on a cost-per-use basis and they soon pay for themselves, Granted, new lids/seals can be required, but the jars themselves will last a lifetime. They can be picked up secondhand, usually in small numbers, but take time to build a collection. IMO every prepper should have them and use them for preserving. Their other obvious advantage is no power is required for storage, unlike a freezer.
If storing empty Kilners, fill them with water as another water prep - takes up no more space than the jar.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

lowlander wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:18 am Kilner jars for preserving are worth every penny, even if you have to pay full price - jars for life. In my (long) experience, nothing else touches them for quality and longevity. Look at them on a cost-per-use basis and they soon pay for themselves, Granted, new lids/seals can be required, but the jars themselves will last a lifetime. They can be picked up secondhand, usually in small numbers, but take time to build a collection. IMO every prepper should have them and use them for preserving. Their other obvious advantage is no power is required for storage, unlike a freezer.
If storing empty Kilners, fill them with water as another water prep - takes up no more space than the jar.
oh. Kilner jars are good. Very good. But I'll argue they are unreasonably expensive. I use mason type jars with a vac pump and I don't begrudge paying a few pounds. I LOVE vac seal storage. I'm not so keen on the clip jars which just seal in whatever air is there, but they serve ok in constant use. But then, one of my kitchen cupboards is full of stuff in larger kenco coffee jars. They fit perfectly 9 to a shelf and are only £5 full of coffee. Why would I pay £4 for an empty jar and end up throwing my kenco jars away? :?
Storing empty jars is silly, but storing 15p of water in a £5 jar., Ummmm.
Now... Glass beer and wine bottles. I'm a devotee of those. Blagged not bought. ;) Glass that is used once is a worse environmental abomination than plastic.

I was a womble in an earlier life. :D

lowlander

Post by lowlander »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:51 am are only £5 full of coffee. Why would I pay £4 for an empty jar and end up throwing my kenco jars away? :?

Kilner jars are for preserving by heat process - you cannot do that with coffee jars, Kenco or otherwise. To store dried goods in Kilners is to completely miss the point of them, and if that's what you want to store, then other jars will suffice.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

I needed some resealable glass bottles for homebred so took one for the team and bought a case of grolsch. Win win 🏆
lowlander

Post by lowlander »

Nurseandy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:46 am I needed some resealable glass bottles for homebred so took one for the team and bought a case of grolsch. Win win 🏆
Another case of using the right thing for the job. I've long lost count of the times I've tried to get people to use the proper bottles for beer, elderflower champagne etc. I've had elderflower blow the bottom very neatly off a Grolsch bottle - imagine how much worse the danger is using wine bottles, jam jars (yes really :roll: ) etc. Like Kilners, Grolsch bottles last for years, replacement rubber seals easily found when required after they begin to perish

Some folk just won't listen, though - on their heads be it if they won't learn from acquired knowledge and experience, very short sighted.