How long can you sustain your family on your stored food? And tips how to rotate

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
grenfell

Re: How long can you sustain your family on your stored food? And tips how to rotate

Post by grenfell »

Conclusion as far as I can see it is that there's no one siagain could just end up as an imobile lump of metal and be of no use whatso ever fits all answer , eggs in one basket or whatever analogy one wishes to use. Stored food is good for some situations less so for others , financial preps and precious metals are good for some but less so for others , a bugout plan and vehicle are good for some events but in other situations could just end up as an immobile lump of metal and so on. I could spend all my money on a nuclear bunker which could be great if the nukes start flying but could be a total waste if cousin of covid sneaks in. Incidentaly assuming nukes were only fired at principal targets and were accurate I'd probably be far enough away to escape instant death but would probably suffer more long term but that's a different topic.
Like a lot of things balance seems to be the best approach. Not concentrating on just one thing but trying to cover more bases even if that means being slightly less prepared for specfic events.
Frnc

Re: How long can you sustain your family on your stored food? And tips how to rotate

Post by Frnc »

There are two factors to consider for every disaster

1. How likely is it (or for malicious attacks, how plausible is it it could happen in next 5 years)?

2. How big an impact (severity) would it have?

See the two charts here https://cheshireresilience.org.uk/docs/crfrisk.pdf

Eg pandemic is
1. 4/5 likely
2. 5/5 impact
This makes it the most important thing you can prep for. Your food and water store come in right here. I had food stored before Covid. Could have done with more but managed to get some off Amazon. Later, Sainsburys got their deliveries act together and I used that. In the end we found it can travel through the air. But more likely from being near someone with it.

Second most important is
attacks on crowded places and transport
1. High (5/5) very likely
2. 3/5 impact, but it depends how close you are to the attackers. 22 killed by a bomb at a venue I was at a few months earlier.

next most important is
Large scale chem, bio, radiolgical or nuclear attacks
1. Med/Low (2/5) plausibility
2. 5 high impact
Again your food and water stores come in here if ordered to shelter in place.

Cold and snow
1. 4
2. 4

Widespread electricity failure
Coastal or river flooding
1. 3
2. 4

Bugging out:

Pandemic - possible if you on a business trip to the place the outbreak starts.

Attack on crowded place - obviously try to get away or take cover or hide. It depends, is it a shooter, or possible chemicals dispersed? Getting away clearly best.

Large scale chemical etc - It depends. If you are at home, authorities might advise you to stay in, or to evacuate.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

grenfell wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:30 am Not concentrating on just one thing but trying to cover more bases even if that means being slightly less prepared for specfic events.
I try to make most preps multifunctional. An extended pantry and a grand in the safe covers a multitude of risks. A tarp may not make a great tent, but it has a few potential uses. I have no tent because that would be single use. Just try to get max bang for my buck.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

For the second item on the list this video may be useful- along with always having a small first aid kit on you &
the skills to use it....

https://www.protectuk.police.uk/advice- ... -hide-tell