Medicine use by dates...

Medical and Healthcare
Vitamin c

Medicine use by dates...

Post by Vitamin c »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7040264/
Many medications found to be perfectly usable up to 15 years past their use by date.
If stored in the right conditions those conditions are in a cool and not damp dark environment like many of our food preps.
Fill er up jacko...
Kiwififer

Re: Medicine use by dates...

Post by Kiwififer »

I was once given excellent advice on here not to buy an expensive first aid kit and to purchase a workplace replacement box which had all the same things in it but at a fraction of the price. I dare say some things might be out of date in it now but it’s stored in my rucksack in the attic as part of my stores.

It’s like buying own brand ibuprofen and Neurofen. It’s the same stuff yet my wife only takes the more expensive stuff. I would not have a problem taking slightly out of date meds.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

While some meds will keep for ages under the right conditions, others, like aspirin will degrade into other things because they’re slightly unstable and will not be the meds you started with. At best they’ll be harmless/useless, at worst a pretty different thing altogether.Chuck out anything 6 months or more past its expiration date.
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

As well as a cool dark place, if the medications are out of the box but still in strips, put them in an envelope.
Sunlight damages meds and capsules.
Anything stored in a clear package or bottle should be wrapped (and labeled of course).
jansman

Post by jansman »

The dates on medicine actually mean something. I was given an emergency increase in my anti seizure medication last week. I was told it had five days by the pharmacist- NO MORE! - his words. It’s ok taking the odd ,out of date OTC medication,but when your life depends upon it ,that date is real! ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
unsure

Post by unsure »

ive taken ibuprofen thats years past its date on the box , well same with most over the counter meds .
i won`t use creams on open wounds that`s past its date once opened , but first aid stuff , if its bad enough to need it , id rather take a chance than bleed a lot
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .