The dark nights are coming

How are you preparing
grenfell

Re: The dark nights are coming

Post by grenfell »

We have torches , oil lamps , candles and so on wood ready in the racks , blankets and so on . Saying that I do have the question the reliance or rather emphasis on emergency lighting. For the most part you should be able to find your way around the house in the dark. I can do it easily enough in ours and it's hardly what I'd term minimalist. We already tend to sit in the dark already if we are doing something sedentary like watching tv. I only use the lights if I'm on the sewing machine. When my sister in law calls she invariably uses the facetime thing on my wife's phone and her first words are nearly always "sitting in the dark again" and my wife has to put a light on for a phone call. If we do have powercuts they are more than likely to be a couple of hours duration and actually changing the routine slightly for those few hours is hardly the end of the world . Even if there's no power for days which is unlikely for the majority of the population then again a readjustment to doing tasks that require light to just the hours of daylight as our predecessors did.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

grenfell wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:02 am We have torches , oil lamps , candles and so on wood ready in the racks , blankets and so on . Saying that I do have the question the reliance or rather emphasis on emergency lighting. For the most part you should be able to find your way around the house in the dark. I can do it easily enough in ours and it's hardly what I'd term minimalist. We already tend to sit in the dark already if we are doing something sedentary like watching tv. I only use the lights if I'm on the sewing machine. When my sister in law calls she invariably uses the facetime thing on my wife's phone and her first words are nearly always "sitting in the dark again" and my wife has to put a light on for a phone call. If we do have powercuts they are more than likely to be a couple of hours duration and actually changing the routine slightly for those few hours is hardly the end of the world . Even if there's no power for days which is unlikely for the majority of the population then again a readjustment to doing tasks that require light to just the hours of daylight as our predecessors did.

Think the issue of doing home tasks in daylight will get interesting at a guess workplaces will adapt working rotas to when the juice flows you come to work .... Now some might be lucky working in one area then coming home to find the rota cuts give them power at home as work goes off ... Others might be unlucky and go home from work as the power goes off to a dark house.....

As for emergency lighting or area lighting we will need something long enough for little rat to put his toys back in his toy box before I break my neck :lol:
Screenshot_20230812-105618.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Glad I have the motion light in my prep room. There was a leak through the ceiling a few weeks ago, including straight through the light fitting! I've tried the light a couple of times, and it usually flickers, so I turn it straight off. Don't want to blow my electrics. I'll probably get a new ceiling rose fitted, but it needs a few weeks to dry out. Got the window open now. Fortunately no major damage. The motion light isn't hugely bright, but it's a start. It's also useful because sometimes I go in that room with wet hands, as I keep my tooth brush and razor in there.

Soon I can start thinking about winter preps. Probably won't attempt anything major this year. My monthly direct debit for gas and electricity actually just got reduced to £67. I'm not complaining, but it's got to be a bit low. Boiler is new and has been serviced, and I have a 10 year free parts and labour care plan.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

That's the outside lights all fully charged (ones that don't use solar) that's them sorted till about bonfire night then they'll get another charge then around Christmas time

Got one solar street light that's seems to come on premature compared to the others I've got a long pole I might relocate one on the shed before winter so it's facing a better direction to catch the sun and fill in the dark patch I seem to have by the shed between my shed and the playhouse it's currently on a west aspect (green circle) which looses direct light in winter ... Red line is my proposal for it's relocation
IMG_20230820_205212274_HDR~2.jpg
Higher the better that way no one can mess with it

And yes the ladders are secure ;)

GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Thanks for reminding me about the motion sensitive lights. Have just got a pair of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUVON-Recharge ... p_0_1_ec_t
They are working well to put a little light onto the stairwell without blinding us. I particularly like having the choice of light level.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:01 am Thanks for reminding me about the motion sensitive lights. Have just got a pair of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUVON-Recharge ... p_0_1_ec_t
They are working well to put a little light onto the stairwell without blinding us. I particularly like having the choice of light level.
They look good being rechargeable

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Lidl have the pir solar flood lights in stock again £18.99 each

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I have two outside security lights. One mains, one solar. I need to check they are both working, now the evenings are getting shorter. Made note in Calender. Sunset is 20.20 today. So, might be dark around 9ish? I've been going to bed ridiculously early recently. Also I watch telly in the dark. So I'm not sure. I lock the front door and close the blinds at 9pm every night.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Here in the East Midlands,sunset is 20:14 ,sunrise is 5:59. Autumn is on its way. Our entire yard/garden has lighting when needed for security purposes. The approach lights have all been changed to 10w LED. Works a treat and doesn’t cost a fortune to run! I still have two 500 w halogen lights over my bird aviary,and the yard the other side of the workshop. That means I can work on the yard,or sort the birds if I have to in the dark. When they come on it’s like daylight!
All the security fencing is top- marks ,and all the padlocks oiled and good for Winter. If there are going to be scumbag intruders,it’s when it gets dark, although the only way in is over the top wall ( 7’ high and broken glass in compo on top! ) and YES I know broken glass shouldn’t be there,but neither should intruders. ;)
It was our eldest’s birthday last weekend,and the daylight and temperature always started to drop afterwards. That’s a 30 year pattern! . I am pleased to say that it doesn’t appear that we will be getting Super-Sunburn and 40* of heat either.
Chimneys are swept,and there are more than sufficient log supplies and coal too. Mind you,I shall still get more coal in as we go along. If there are shortages or huge price rises,then we are alright Jack! My illness doesn’t make my firewood processing easy anymore,and both our stoves can use coal - well it’s the smokeless stuff now- just as easily. It’s easy to acquire and get delivered. There is enough wood for 3 Winters though,and I do like to be prepared !

So now it’s getting dark,that’s my thought.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

My first comment from a long haul of keeping my head down and working, working, working.

This post reminded me to order another solar PIR light for the side of the house/driveway. Already have one but only covers half the drive and always intended to buy another after I knew it wasn’t crap! (Which it isn’t)

Didn’t even think to oil locks/padlocks, though I did recently clean all the internal window frames and oil the mechanisms to keep them smooth.

I have a new letterbox draft excluder to fit as mine busted over the summer.
Boiler service is next week.
About to order some tea lights and stick candles as our stocks have depleted over winter.

Saying that, I’ve let my food preps deplete massively! Need to get that under control.
@Homehardening_uk