Wilko Collapse

For all things financial
jennyjj01

Re: Wilko Collapse

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:29 pm My local high St is much the same lots of charitie shops ,bookmakers and empty shops with the white windows it's unfortunately now nationwide even in the south .

The mortgage rate has crippled the already bad economy.
I don't know what did it, but I suspect that Business rates and uncapped energy costs did much more to close businesses than mortgage rates. Shops are often rented and even amongst the buying public, many are in rented homes or with mortgages not yet impacted.

But you confirm that you see the same rubbish high streets.

I was in the rather affluent area of Wilmslow and Alderley Edge last week. Their high streets are populated by bistros and Rolex shops and Aston Martin dealerships. Their charity shops sell designer gear :)

But even those high streets looked distinctly down beat and distressed. Costa Coffee and Waitrose were quiet and the only place that seemed to be prospering was Greggs.

It's all relative.
:)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Forager

Post by Forager »

Ive always thought online shopping was the biggest factor for the high street decline. Around my way, Nail Bars and Turkish Barbers also seem to be flourishing 🤔
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Did we really get over the 07,08 crash or just keep on going with ever increasing low intrest debt.
I think we're are going to find out soon enough.
Fill er up jacko...
Doug1943

Post by Doug1943 »

When the peaks of two waves coincide, they are 'reinforced' and their size ('amplitude') increases -- at sea, these are called 'rogue waves'. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_wave]

I think we -- the whole world -- may be approaching a social 'rogue wave' situation, with military, social-behavioral, economic, financial, and geophysical problems peaking at about the same -- and reinforcing each other.

To switch metaphors, the Wilko collapse may be just a tremor before the earthquake.

If there is a bright spot -- besides being able to pick up some bargains -- it's that events like this make more people open to the idea that it might be a good idea to become more resilient, more able to ride out social/economic shocks ... more, dare we say it, 'prepared'.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Fill er up jacko...
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Doug1943 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:51 pm When the peaks of two waves coincide, they are 'reinforced' and their size ('amplitude') increases -- at sea, these are called 'rogue waves'. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_wave]

I think we -- the whole world -- may be approaching a social 'rogue wave' situation, with military, social-behavioral, economic, financial, and geophysical problems peaking at about the same -- and reinforcing each other.
I don't think it's a coincidence that the runup to WW2 and the holocaust happened at the same time as the Great Depression. Also now we face weather extremes, probable crop failures, deterioration of the oceans and soil, resources overshoot, rapid technological change (AI) and extreme weath inequality.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

The Four Horseman of the Apocalypse go together for a reason. Famine is usually followed by Plague and or War all of which lead to Death.
Doug1943

Post by Doug1943 »

Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Over the years we've had it all youtube videos saying this year or next the big collapse, war, famine .
But these last few years it's finally seem to be coming true just about every part of society is falling apart with no realistic plan to sort it out .

Prepping for what we expected to happen don't seem to work it because everything seems to be happening at once and paying back our debt seem to be a big part of it no wonder their's no cash for ..... long list.

I'm stuck for a answer.
Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:51 am Over the years we've had it all youtube videos saying this year or next the big collapse, war, famine .
But these last few years it's finally seem to be coming true just about every part of society is falling apart with no realistic plan to sort it out .

Prepping for what we expected to happen don't seem to work it because everything seems to be happening at once and paying back our debt seem to be a big part of it no wonder their's no cash for ..... long list.

I'm stuck for a answer.
Not disagreeing.
It's amusing for us to call out doom-mongers who have been around forever. Youtube gives some of them undue prominence such as Canadian Prepper and FSS, which tell us every day that the world ends tomorrow. But here we are, sensible preppers, some of whom are saying, 'But really.... It really is happening'. I don't know which would be sadder or funnier? Us all being right, or us looking back in many years time saying "We got the timing wrong but it really IS happening now". The one time we are fully right, we will be in such global 5h1t that there will be no satisfaction in it. Mind you, being prepped did give us some comfortable smugness during the covid mess.

Let's carry on hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

As to debt and not having enough money to buy preps. Hmmmf. My only suggestion is to tackle our personal debt first. Preps second and reckless spending last.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong