Future home heating

Homes and Retreats
jansman

Future home heating

Post by jansman »

I just read this interesting article. Not new information,but it will happen eventually,I am sure.

The truth about heat pumps and the power needed to run them https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66359093

It’s interesting,as many,many houses are not able to be insulated in the required manner in order to make the Uber technology to stay warm :lol: work as efficiently and super duper as we are and will be told. :D
About ten years ago we went electric. Long story,but the gas boiler replacement included digging the house up to replace piping that didn’t meet new regulations. We didn’t have the 12 grand it was gonna cost! The new heat pumps will also mean new piping,for sure!
When I told our gas man ,he agreed when I mentioned the future. That electricity will be the way forward. And it looks like it will be,although where enough electricity actually comes from will be a different matter!
So right now ,here at Chez Jansman we have solid fuel heating,which I am sure will be stopped eventually . Wouldn’t want us posh country people to be independently warmer than the Townies! Electricity heating is remote/ manual controlled panels ( they look good) and infra red. It’s very efficient and works well,but of course more expensive than gas. And I guess will continue to.

So given that a good majority of domestic heating is gas,and that new boilers will be banned by 2035 ( not long) ,what are your thoughts.?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Future home heating

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

And by the sounds of it they are binning the hydrogen gas blend idea...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... 0residents.

It's a tricky one only viable option for us poor people is the Chinese diesel heaters probably on par with gas in terms of running costs but seem efficient enough especially if you use it to say heat 2 rooms
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:27 am And by the sounds of it they are binning the hydrogen gas blend idea...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... 0residents.

It's a tricky one only viable option for us poor people is the Chinese diesel heaters probably on par with gas in terms of running costs but seem efficient enough especially if you use it to say heat 2 rooms
That will be a good one. Trucks ,tractors and anything doing heavy work will still need diesel. Also,cars will still be on the road too. In fact ( I believe) that there won’t be sufficient regular electricity to cover everything- and cars particularly will be an issue. Electric cars that is. Petrol and diesel cars will be like Cuba after the Revolution :lol:

As good as I think diesel heating is ,I’ll bet it’s outlawed.

Anyhow,does anyone have the air source heat pump now?

Robert Frost.

Me.
bobble

Post by bobble »

I think that oil, petrol, diesel and gas usage will soon be strictly rationed due to 'world events,' wars etc.
The govt has just announced that they are issuing a load of licences to drill for gas and oil in the North Sea. Why now? They are obviously expecting that the UK will not be able to import what it needs to carry on functioning, and we will have to supply our own fuel. So regardless of the cost, the North Sea oil rigs might provide a way of keeping the trucks rolling, industry and farms producing and keep the lights on in future.
There's also the recent coup in Niger which is a big suppiler of uranium to Europe. The new regime have just put a stop to uranium exports to France, so the nuclear power stations will have difficulty renewing their uranium stocks and electricity will become more expensive and possibly rationed across parts of Europe. As a result of this, the UK will no longer be able to 'import' electricity via the ' interconnector' as we have done previously during cold spells.
Perhaps this is the real reason why they want us to plant millions of trees, not for the co2 but for fuel to keep warm when there's little oil/gas available!
There are so many unknowns that its difficult to know what to do for the best.
So we bought some solar panels, inverter, charge controller and batteries, keeping a stock of food, water, clothes, blankets, tools, and medicines etc etc and just hoping for the best, but realistically, i think we're about to live through very ''interesting times''! 😯
korolev

Post by korolev »

We looked into a ground source heat pump when we had our house renovated and insulated but the initial cost was too much. We were looking at about £2k for a gas boiler, 5x that for the GSHP.
Gas boilers have a life of 10-15 years so we'll stick with it for now. By the time it's knackered we will be mid 70s and probably looking to get a flat; by that time I would hope that the whole issue is sorted.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:22 am So given that a good majority of domestic heating is gas,and that new boilers will be banned by 2035 ( not long) ,what are your thoughts.?
Government policy on the enforced migration to HeatPumps is INSANE and unachievable [insert expletive noun]
Similar opinion to the idea of phasing out petrol and diesel cars in 2030.... Insane. And cruel to those of us who will never be able to afford the transition.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

korolev wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:46 am We looked into a ground source heat pump when we had our house renovated and insulated but the initial cost was too much. We were looking at about £2k for a gas boiler, 5x that for the GSHP.
Gas boilers have a life of 10-15 years so we'll stick with it for now. By the time it's knackered we will be mid 70s and probably looking to get a flat; by that time I would hope that the whole issue is sorted.
So you are the first amongst us to say you looked a ASHP,but it was 5x the cost of gas. Interesting.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Hmm.. lot of points raised.

New North Sea oil/gas won't make a huge difference to us because
A. It's a small amount
B. Most of it gets sold on the international market

Heat pumps require good insulation. It's not something an ordinary person could organise for a Victorian house. The government should do it. I believe at one time they had a scheme where a competant person oversaw each project. It would make sense to do it street by street like the old council refurb grants used to do. I don't know how my house could be done without us and all our stuff being moved out. It would be tricky. Do you need to put a new bathroom and kitchen in? All the external walls need insulation, there is no cavity.

One alternative might be district heating. This is where they pump hot water to all the houses. But it doesn't solve the insulation issue. Insulation is key.

Even flats built in the later half of the 20th century are not well insulated, but at least the cavity wall is an easy job.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

In 1939 we managed to convert our economy to build thousands of tanks, fighter planes etc, even though most men went abroad. There is no reason why 80 years later the government couldn't retrofit all the UK's houses. Of course it would cost £ hundreds of billions. But we spend a lot on energy. About £67 billion for households I reckon, plus industry and companies. They could spread it over 10 years. They should have been doing it over the last 40 years.
jansman

Post by jansman »

So does anyone here use heating ( at this moment) that is non gas on a regular basis?

Robert Frost.

Me.